How much balance matters when it comes to knives ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

How much balance matters when it comes to knives ?

Post by Xformer »

I've seen various people over Youtube speak about tge point of balance in a folder knife. Shabazz does it all the time, but afaik he never really elaborated on why and how it matters. That's point he raised again during his Stovepipe review recently.

I'm strictly speaking about folder knives, not fixed ones.

What's your take on it ?
Coastal

Re: How much balance matters when it comes to knives ?

Post by Coastal »

Hmmm... I've never thought about it until you asked, so I had to go pick up a bunch of knives and hold them as if I were cutting something.

My first impression is that large folders feel "right" if they balance slightly blade-heavy when held in my most-used grip. Small folders feel right if they're more neutral. Or maybe that's just how my particular knives tend to balance, and I'm used to them feeling like that.

I'd like to hear from other forumites who use their knives much more than I, maybe in situations where balance matters. Martial arts, perhaps? Interesting topic.
Last edited by Coastal on Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Double post.
Last edited by Coastal on Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Triple post! LOL
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it doesn't matter to me most of the time. i will say that when i picked up a g10, lined native, it felt awkwardly handle heavy. obviously is not actually heavy, but it's the only time i ever remember thinking balance felt off in a folder. even then, it wasn't a big deal; just noticeable and not my preference.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My view is that knives that are heavier in the handle feel more agile, while knives that are heavier in the blade would be much better for chipping. Basically for me this narrows down to the weight balance being handle=folder, blade=fixed blade. Beyond that I don't really pay attention to it on folders, it's much more of a concern or even feature on fixed blades.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I think it matters a little bit for chef knives, but not for what I'm doing with pocket knives.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I've heard people say for instance, that the Para 3 LW was front heavy and unbalanced.

I've never noticed it to be that.

It feels perfectly natural in hand to me.

I suppose I'm not as tuned into certain aspect of knifery as others.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I think that since the blade length is limited to the handle length with folders, most have a good balance so it's not really something I pay too much attention to.

I have found that I like to use my tanto PM2 or Norseman when I have a ton of cardboard to cut up, so I think that heavy tip may have something to do with it.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The way that I look at it is that all knives have a different balance(folder or fixed). End of story. There does not seem to be anything magical about it. Smaller knives will move fast in the hand and longer knives may feel tip heavy. It's something that you get used too.

I've dabbled in 5 different Filipino knife arts and nobody paid much attention to knife balance.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
R100

Post by R100 »

Balance matters to me. I don't like knives that are too handle heavy. My GB1, that I love in most other ways, is a pretty bad offender. On the other hand, I love the balance of the Para 3 LWs which some others feel is blade heavy. I actually find that a handle heavy knife feels "dead" in the hand rather than lively. I guess we are all different.

Dan
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Xformer wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:42 pm

What's your take on it ?
Although I'm neither a knight nor a frequent sword fighter, I can imagine that the balance would be a matter of importance if I were so employed. But I can't see how balance makes a lick of difference in a folding pocket knife. Once I'm grasping a knife in my hand, it's an extension of my arm. The influence of a four ounce knife on a ten pound arm seems rather insignificant.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like it when the balance is +/- .25 inch. from where my index finger naturally rests on the handle. Neutral is best, but if not neutral I'd prefer handle heavy to blade heavy. Less likely to fall out of your hand with a loose grip. I think it's easier to switch back and forth from forward to reverse grip with a handle heavy knife as opposed to a blade heavy knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm not concerned with pocket knives. Especially small ones. I agree that handle heavy helps to feel agile and that's nice on pocket knives. Don't mind neutral balance where the index finger rests. I think it's just not one of those things I think about. I guess YouTube reviewers haven't taught me that nitpick like they did with the blade centering haha.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Definitely matters to me, fixed or folder. About the only really unbalanced folder I have experienced lately is the Para 3 lightweight... quite blade heavy to me. Balance point around index-middle finger is best, to me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kobold

Post by kobold »

In some uses or grips it might matter - probably the most when fidgeting :-) but not nearly as much as ergonomics IMHO.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10