Why I need a small corrosion proof knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Why I need a small corrosion proof knife

Post by Doc Dan »

I like to carry pocket knives in my pocket. It is a habit from childhood. However, my wife has another habit...washing my knives and hers in the washing machine. :grin-smiling-eyes She will get my clothes before I am even finished with them for the day and toss them, and hers, in the washing machine with all of those chemicals (detergent, softener, Dettol) and they come out nice and clean, but then I have to re-oil everything immediately.

I really wish Spyderco would produce the Manbug and the Lil Native LW in Magnacut, or something where I can have good edge retention and a plain edged blade. Please. And in a nice color, even if its black (dark blue or forest green would be my preferred colors).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Re: Why I need a small corrosion proof knife

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:47 pm
I like to carry pocket knives in my pocket. It is a habit from childhood. However, my wife has another habit...washing my knives and hers in the washing machine. :grin-smiling-eyes She will get my clothes before I am even finished with them for the day and toss them, and hers, in the washing machine with all of those chemicals (detergent, softener, Dettol) and they come out nice and clean, but then I have to re-oil everything immediately.

I really wish Spyderco would produce the Manbug and the Lil Native LW in Magnacut, or something where I can have good edge retention and a plain edged blade. Please. And in a nice color, even if its black (dark blue or forest green would be my preferred colors).
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90089

viewtopic.php?t=85096

In my experience H1 at very coarse grits will out cut S30V at 1,000+ grit. It works great with LC200N as well.

I know a polished edge is nice to have on smaller knives, but if you already have a PE Ladybug Salt or similar, try it out!
:unicorn
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:56 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90089

viewtopic.php?t=85096

In my experience H1 at very coarse grits will out cut S30V at 1,000+ grit. It works great with LC200N as well.

I know a polished edge is nice to have on smaller knives, but if you already have a PE Ladybug Salt or similar, try it out!
Thanks! I'll do that. I only use the medium brown stones on H1 and it does better than with the fine. I have a CBN rod. I'll try that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Doc Dan wrote:

....well, on the upside since you don't have to do your own laundry that leaves more time to visit the forum. :smlling-eyes
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My wife and I (and my daughter) do our own laundry ourselves. We even have our own dirty clothes baskets. The biggest battle for us is we all get lazy and leave our clothes in the dryer too long lol.

But yeah I'm all for MagnaCut Ladybug/Manbug.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I imagine Magnacut in the Seki City line will have a major impact on the sales of H1 and LC200N. I think Spyderco will have to make some very careful and calculated decisions about bringing Magnacut to their Seki City made lineup.

As is though, Spyderco already offers a lot of small corrosion proof knives that will undoubtedly cover your needs in the meantime.
-Nick :bug-red
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Doc Dan wrote: I like to carry pocket knives in my pocket. It is a habit from childhood. However, my wife has another habit...washing my knives and hers in the washing machine. :grin-smiling-eyes She will get my clothes before I am even finished with them for the day and toss them, and hers, in the washing machine with all of those chemicals (detergent, softener, Dettol) and they come out nice and clean, but then I have to re-oil everything immediately.

LC200N did very well for me.

Maybe find a Spyderco with this steel and give it a try.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I already have H1 Dragonflies and Ladybugs. They are pretty good with serrated edges but the plain edge, while not horrible, could be better. Maybe the problem is that I have a Spydie addiction and just want an excuse to buy more knives. :open-grin

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Not a fan of the washing machine patina?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:28 am
Not much, though I can't imagine why.

It'll soon be time to sing your signature and stay up all night.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
It's the best time of the year!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
It's the best time of the year!
It sure is!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050