Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Fishing

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Pacu0420 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:59 pm
Caught this beast last September. I hadn't gone fishing for nearly a year. Very nice way to get back into it! I put the Mule Team next to it for size reference.

BTW, Mules don't make the best fillet knives, lol😂
Holy Rainbow Batman!!! A BEAST for sure 👏
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:53 pm
Nice job, Sir Nicholas!!
Very nice 👌
Thanks, Paul! :grin-smiling-eyes
Pacu0420 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:59 pm
Caught this beast last September. I hadn't gone fishing for nearly a year. Very nice way to get back into it! I put the Mule Team next to it for size reference.

BTW, Mules don't make the best fillet knives, lol😂
Dang, that thing really is a beast! Nice catch. :cheap-sunglasses
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:52 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:24 pm
Fall trout stocking was light this year, mostly small rainbows. Better than nothing though and they’re a lot easier to catch than bass this time of year!

Caught a few small rainbows yesterday.
https://i.imgur.com/0uJYhMT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VEqtxfj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WYaeLxR.jpg

The last one had some cuts on it that look, suspiciously, like the size and shape of an overzealous Chain Pickerel’s mouth! :grin-squint
Heck yeah Nick 👊…those stockers look bigger than ours down here…I always say catch what what you can when you can…🎣
I agree, I’m not picky! Especially this time of year when the water temps are just above freezing but still warmer than the air temps. :grin-squint I really need to invest in some insulated waders for this time of year.

Massachusetts usually stocks some decent size trout in both spring and fall but spring usually gets more. A number of the ponds are deep enough to support holdovers through the summer too. They’ll often stock some broodstock males too, for a chance at a bigger fish without having to find a holdover.
-Nick :bug-red
Windward

Post by Windward »

Been working on updating my charter website, and going through some pictures from the last couple seasons... came across one of my favorites, a friend and great photographer, took of me with a client. Montauk during fall is a fun place hahaImage
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Windward wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:08 pm
Been working on updating my charter website, and going through some pictures from the last couple seasons... came across one of my favorites, a friend and great photographer, took of me with a client. Montauk during fall is a fun place hahaImage
Captain always goes down with his ship. :grin-squint

I’m kidding! That is a really cool picture; the depth perception is mind bending!

I hear a lot of good things about fishing in Montauk. What kind of charter do you run, what’s your typical target species?

I do a lot of striper fishing around here, primarily on Cape Cod. The spring run usually starts to get hot around April and the fall run will last until about November.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Yeah. It was just a rolly day afyer a storm. Big waves but really long wave inteval, so looks worse than it was. One of the daus where you can see fish swimming on the waves at eye level haha.

I do fly and light tackle charters ( mostly fly), stripers, blues, albie, bonito, etc. Little bit of tuna sometimes too. The capes such a cool fishery too. Im partial to montauk, because i live here but i try to fish the cape atleast once a year.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Windward wrote:
Dude, if you were holding a Spyderco in your hand and it was visible that would make this photo cooler than it already is…definitely something that should be blown up and framed if it’s not already on your wall…props to your buddy…Awesome 👏👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:31 pm
Windward wrote:

I’m kidding! That is a really cool picture; the depth perception is mind bending!

I hear a lot of good things about fishing in Montauk. What kind of charter do you run, what’s your typical target species?

I do a lot of striper fishing around here, primarily on Cape Cod. The spring run usually starts to get hot around April and the fall run will last until about November.
Nick you know you have to book a trip w/Windward, right? Betcha he’d put you on some dandy stripers 🎣
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

I just looked up North Bar Media and the man has some kinda skills 👏👏👏
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:58 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Windward wrote:

Nick you know you have to book a trip w/Windward, right? Betcha he’d put you on some dandy stripers 🎣
That would be a blast! Stripers, blues, and albies are all right up my alley but I might need to learn how to fly fish first. :cheap-sunglasses

I’m confident I could learn if I tried but it’s just a matter of investing in the right set up now.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:52 pm
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:58 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Windward wrote:
Been working on updating my charter website, and going through some pictures from the last couple seasons... came across one of my favorites, a friend and great photographer, took of me with a client. Montauk during fall is a fun place haha

That would be a blast! Stripers, blues, and albies are all right up my alley but I might need to learn how to fly fish first. :cheap-sunglasses

I’m confident I could learn if I tried but it’s just a matter of investing in the right set up now.
it's easy. the investing on the other hand, if you thought a spyderco habit was expensive the fly world can be a whole other thing haha. luckily most people who say they flyfish go maybe once a year and upgrade gear a lot, so the used market is pretty great at times. if you wanted to get into it, id be happy to help you with gear advice.
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

1st day of fishing for 2024 for me, on the panhandle coast in St Marks area. (Tinytown directly south of Tallahassee)

Caught a 5 fish limit of sea trout in a short half day trip.
Partner added one and a black drum...

"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Super-shallow sheepshead... usually a much more wary quarry than a sheepshead on vertical structure.
Off a rockpile at the mouth of a no name Creek, about 6 miles East of Saint Mark's lighthouse..

My rod tip is in the sand... as close as we could get my bud's Redfisher 16...
Rock in the background...
I think he was taller than the water was deep.

Manix 2 Lightweight Salt on scene...

"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Awesome SpyderJunky 🎣 👏