Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HolySteel

Re: Fishing

Post by HolySteel »

Wednesday - 4 pinks

Thursday - 2 pinks and this King

Friday was miserable - fell climbing the bank out of the river, ripped a hole in my waders and lost a fish off my stringer. So no pictures.

Saturday - took a buddy for his first 'wading in the river' adventure and caught these 7 pinks between us

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:29 pm
Sorry for only getting one picture, but here is the boys first sockeye. We caught our limit of four each. We had a lot of fun.

Awesome!!! 👏👏👏
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:04 pm
Wednesday - 4 pinks

Thursday - 2 pinks and this King

Friday was miserable - fell climbing the bank out of the river, ripped a hole in my waders and lost a fish off my stringer. So no pictures.

Saturday - took a buddy for his first 'wading in the river' adventure and caught these 7 pinks between us

Hey three outa four good days is great!!! I can taste those Salmon right now 😋
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:01 pm
I still brought home two on Friday. We have been eating it every day - never gets old. Had some of the smoked King last night and will have a pan-cooked fillet for lunch.

Back out in the morning after a four-day rest. Steelhead should be coming in soon.

Here's most of the King ready to go in the smoker, with a piece of pink at lower-left for reference.
Bottom pic is most of two pinks, smoked and vac-sealed.

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

HolySteel wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:18 am
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:01 pm
I still brought home two on Friday. We have been eating it every day - never gets old. Had some of the smoked King last night and will have a pan-cooked fillet for lunch.

Back out in the morning after a four-day rest. Steelhead should be coming in soon.

Here's most of the King ready to go in the smoker, with a piece of pink at lower-left for reference.
Bottom pic is most of two pinks, smoked and vac-sealed.

I’m sending you my address 😉
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:01 pm
I’m sending you my address 😉
Because of this incredible Pink salmon run, the fishermen are getting really picky - guy next to me this morning says he's only keeping Silvers and Kings. I look at it this way: the pink only run here every other year, and it's for a relatively short period. So catch 'em, smoke or freeze 'em, and be happy about it. Baked, to me they taste like a rainbow trout - nothing wrong with that. They just don't have the fat and salmon flavor that we are used to.

Today I caught four at 11 lb, 4 oz total, about 4.5 pounds after smoking.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That is awesome!! I wish there was salmon fishing that good near me.
-Nick :bug-red
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:25 pm
That is awesome!! I wish there was salmon fishing that good near me.
This situation is a little unusual, but a good way for a beginner to learn and get confident. My understanding is that when the Steelhead come in in a couple of weeks, the reel fun begins. I've been curing eggs to prepare. But it's steel drift fishing large schools, so a little more difficult but fish will be caught.

If you get an urge to try it next year, PM me - I'll be more than happy to take people out. I have not been able to figure out when the runs start - people just tell you it's happening and you go hit the river.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Man that’s so cool, great hauls of salmon dude…learn as you go and have a lot of fun along the way 🎣🎣🎣
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:15 am
Man that’s so cool, great hauls of salmon dude…learn as you go and have a lot of fun along the way 🎣🎣🎣
Yes, it was a great experience, but the Pink Salmon run has finally ended - I caught two Saturday morning, then fished for another 6 hours that day, off-and-on, and didn't get a single strike. So now we're waiting for the Cohos..I think :squinting-tongue
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Caught a few “SNITS” (standard nine inch trout), maybe a little longer idk and decided to release them but hey it was a blast 🎣
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SNITS! LOL First time I’ve heard that but it’s funny!

Actually reminds me that Massachusetts just recently began stocking trout for the season. I’m still fishing for bass though! :grin-squint I probably won’t start fishing for trout until around November.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:32 pm

Actually reminds me that Massachusetts just recently began stocking trout for the season. I’m still fishing for bass though! :grin-squint I probably won’t start fishing for trout until around November.
SNITS make for good eating and fun times cause there’s so many…and as far as November I’ll be in a deer stand 😉
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:51 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:32 pm

SNITS make for good eating and fun times cause there’s so many…and as far as November I’ll be in a deer stand 😉
They are delicious - filleted and pan-cooked in butter with salt and pepper. My girlfriend prefers baking them whole.

Fishermen up here consider bass to be inedible, but great sport. Strange to me, as that's what I fished for to eat, when growing up fishing in SE Texas and Louisiana.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Yes sir-fried,grilled,sautéed,baked…you name it😋…bass are delicious too, I usually throw the females back but not too proud to keep a mess of male bank runners…my favorite freshwater fish is a toss up between crappie,bream,catfish,white bass and perch although walleye is hard to beat, we just don’t have many like up north 🎣
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That’s funny because I went out in the Kayak last week and caught a handful of those species. It was a big multispecies day.

Didn’t catch a catfish or walleye though. If there were walleye in that lake, I probably would’ve caught one. :grin-squint It felt like everything was eating that day.

huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Arctic Grayling I caught two days ago!

I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:18 am
Arctic Grayling I caught two days ago!

Awesome catch! Their dorsal fins are beautiful.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

The Coho run has started. We went yesterday and my buddy caught a 12 pound Coho twitching in the dark, which is unheard of. We caught nothing else, so drove 80 miles to a different river and my other friend caught this 25 pound King (that's me netting it). I was shaking while netting it - just a monster of a fish. We let him go, as he was worn-out from the spawning thing and would have been a not-so-great dining experience.

A funny positive - three of us are on the same pool team and had to play that evening after getting up at 2:30 a.m. and fishing until 3:30 that afternoon. We all three won our matches and two of us had an 8 on the break. Just proving that fishing generates good karma.

Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Did a little fishing today. It's the time of year where fishing my "local" trout stream is practical. It's really only good in the cool seasons after a good freeze. In summer it's extremely overgrown with vegetation that makes it entirely unpleasant to fish, not to mention the bugs are atrocious. Today the wind was ripping, there was a dreary rain/drizzle falling, and temps were around 45F. Stream was a bit high and stained from 2 days of rain. I managed a brown and a few rainbows, only fished for about an hour and decided it was best to return on a better day. Fish were not super active but I did move a decent number of fish given the conditions. They were not committing to biting a fly all that well so hooking up was a bit tough.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035