Poor Sheath Retention - Enuff Sheepfoot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheCanadian

Poor Sheath Retention - Enuff Sheepfoot

Post by TheCanadian »

Hi everyone!

I've purchased 2 Enuff Sheepfoot knives in the past six months for use on and around rivers (rafting, canoeing etc). Both use the Spyderco injection molded polymer sheath. One has excellent retention, but the other has unacceptable retention and the knife pops-out with ease. It's literally brand new and hasn't been used yet. Rather than go through the hassle/expense of shipping the sheath back, I thought that I would ask if anyone had any tips for trying to tighten the sheath myself. I know you can use a heat gun for kydex, but what about these injection molded polymer sheaths? Any advice? Thank you!
Michael Janich

Re: Poor Sheath Retention - Enuff Sheepfoot

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear TheCanadian:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've had one for years. I sent the original sheath back for retention issues. The replacement is better but still loose enough to have some rattle to it. Like you I am hesitant to try the heat gun. I'll be tracking this to see if your question elicits some good suggestions.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Spydercos sheaths are really hit or miss with me.

You could get yourself some small plastic buckles,
Screenshot_20220317-085622_Google.jpg
And some paracord. Use the grommets on the sheath and the lanyard hole in the handle.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I wonder if you can do the same as you can with kydex sheaths and heat them carefully with a heat gun to soften the plastic and press down to tighten them up some? I guess I'll need to experiment on my own.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

If anyone figures this out, post it up! I won't use my Enuff because it rattles in the sheath so badly. I tried the heat gun, but I was afraid to heat it up till it was truly hot, for fear of ruining it. Come to think of it, I probably couldn't make it much worse than it already is...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

This is a very timely post as I’ve been considering getting an Enuff Salt as my PFD knife. The knife is already expensive enough without having to send it off for a custom kydex sheath.
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

You could add a strap with the industrial strength Velcro available at any big box store. I mount my cordless tools in cheap pistol holsters and secure them with a nylon velcro strap.

II would go all out with the heat gun. Worse case, someone could make you a sheath on Etsy if you destroy this one. I guess I got lucky, my Enuff sheath holds very firmly.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:01 pm
This is a very timely post as I’ve been considering getting an Enuff Salt as my PFD knife. The knife is already expensive enough without having to send it off for a custom kydex sheath.
The knife itself is pretty cool. In my opinion it has the most comfortable handle of any Spyderco I've held. If it had another inch of blade, it would be a well-nigh perfect fixie.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Canadian,

I'm sorry for your disappointment. Injection molded sheaths are always a challenge. I would suggest you contact customer service and speak with Charlynne. I'll give her a "Head-up" that you'll call.

sal
JB Dix

Post by JB Dix »

My Enuff Salt just arrived yesterday. It has very solid retention. I think it would be nice to see a tension adjustment screw like a lot of my Kydex sheaths in case it loosens up over time or from use.

Break-up has just started here in Ottawa. I got it for a PFD knife for kayaking and just in time. Retention for a water knife is pretty critical particularly since I shoulder mount with handle down for easy retrieval.

Cheers,
Take heed, dear heart, of this large privilege; The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge. — William Shakespeare
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

TheCanadian wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:12 pm
Hi everyone!

I've purchased 2 Enuff Sheepfoot knives in the past six months for use on and around rivers (rafting, canoeing etc). Both use the Spyderco injection molded polymer sheath. One has excellent retention, but the other has unacceptable retention and the knife pops-out with ease. It's literally brand new and hasn't been used yet. Rather than go through the hassle/expense of shipping the sheath back, I thought that I would ask if anyone had any tips for trying to tighten the sheath myself. I know you can use a heat gun for kydex, but what about these injection molded polymer sheaths? Any advice? Thank you!
Silly me.....but I thought that their QC department would catch that before it was shipped to you !!?? And all Mike from Spyderco says is....."Welcome to the forum" !!??
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:34 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:01 pm
The knife itself is pretty cool. In my opinion it has the most comfortable handle of any Spyderco I've held. If it had another inch of blade, it would be a well-nigh perfect fixie.
JB Dix wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:08 am
My Enuff Salt just arrived yesterday. It has very solid retention. I think it would be nice to see a tension adjustment screw like a lot of my Kydex sheaths in case it loosens up over time or from use.

Break-up has just started here in Ottawa. I got it for a PFD knife for kayaking and just in time. Retention for a water knife is pretty critical particularly since I shoulder mount with handle down for easy retrieval.

Cheers,

Thanks for the positive feedback gents! The Salt version of this model isn’t discussed much. It looks to be a really great option for canoeists & kayakers.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

gspam1 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:00 pm
I would go all out with the heat gun.
This turned out to be good advice. A few minutes with a heat gun has my sheath retaining the Enuff Salt satisfactorily! It's not perfect yet, and it still rattles, but I think a little more work will take care of it... After which the Enuff will take up its intended spot on my PFD.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:27 am
gspam1 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:00 pm
I would go all out with the heat gun.
This turned out to be good advice. A few minutes with a heat gun has my sheath retaining the Enuff Salt satisfactorily! It's not perfect yet, and it still rattles, but I think a little more work will take care of it... After which the Enuff will take up its intended spot on my PFD.
Great news! Heat gun or hair dryer?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I thought I might have mentioned the heat gun? :crying-face :grin-smiling-eyes
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

The aforementioned Enuff Salt, along with its formerly loose and rattly sheath:

By heating the top of the sheath with a heat gun until too hot to touch and then pinching it with pliers, I tightened it to the point that it's hard to pull the knife out of the sheath, but reasonably easy to release it with thumb pressure. All rattling is gone. I then sanded the sheath to remove the plier abrasions. I should have wrapped the jaws, but I didn't consider it at the time.

Next, I'll install the sheath on my PFD and check deployment with both hands, both thumb release and just jerking it free. My current PFD knife is a Saver Salt. I'm also considering keeping that one clipped to the PFD, and mounting the Enuff on the kayak. Or maybe the other way around. Or maybe mounting my Waterway on the kayak. I'd love to hear forumites' views on the use of knives while kayaking, and especially fishing from a kayak -- not necessarily full-on oceangoing, Surfgringo-style fishing, but bays, estuaries, lakes and the like.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d want to have the knife on me, especially in the case of getting separated from the boat in an entanglement or strainer situation.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:54 pm
I’d want to have the knife on me, especially in the case of getting separated from the boat in an entanglement or strainer situation.
100% agree! I'm trying to decide which knife that should be, and whether to attach one to the kayak in addition.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:08 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:54 pm
100% agree! I'm trying to decide which knife that should be, and whether to attach one to the kayak in addition.
Ah! I missed the “and”. Nothing wrong with belt and suspenders. Is either sheath more suitable for either mounting location?