Blade length is not everything

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Blade length is not everything

Post by Doc Dan »

Agree or disagree? I don't think blade length is nearly has important as cutting performance. Even in situations where a longer blade is called for, cutting performance is still the most important. One can even press a smaller knife with great cutting performance into service to do a bigger knife's job. But, no matter how long the blade, if it cuts poorly, it's not worth anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Hopsbreath

Re: Blade length is not everything

Post by Hopsbreath »

I prefer the Caly 3 to the 3.5. It feels more nimble in hand and perfectly balanced at the smaller size. It doesn’t mean I don’t like larger knives but all designs don’t necessarily need a ‘lil or XL.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I agree that I would rather have a sharp Native 5 to a dull Endura. I typically prefer the longer blade just because if needed, it is there. I occasionally use my knife for food prep when away from my kitchen(At work or on a trail). So it is just nice to have the extra length. I prefer a shorter blade when working on projects just for the tip control. I have used a Chaparral to prep a beef brisket at a family member's house because it was what I had on me at the time, and it was much sharper than what they had in the Kitchen. So in that case, I specifically chose a smaller blade to a large blade because of cutting performance. That Chaparral was also the best box cutting knife I owned due to the thinness of the blade. In that case, the thinness played a large role in its cutting performance. If I was looking at a bunch of cardboard to cut up and it just so happened I had a Chaparral and a PM2 on me, I would probably choose the Chap for the cutting performance.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

For a lot of quick cuts that I encounter duting edc I would agree.

But I also believe in the right tool for the right job.
I love the manbug but I dont want to fillet a fish with it or cut up a pineapple with it. That wasnt a challenge by the way, Im aware it can be done, but a larger knife makes it easier.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure I fully agree. I get the point you're making but there are jobs that a scalpel just can't do regardless of how efficient it is at slicing. On the other end of the spectrum we have a butcher's clever that by comparison has horrible edge geometry vs the scalpel but it better suited for splitting ribs. There is a sweet spot somewhere in the middle for pocket knives where size and cutting performance are balanced and it probably has more to do with your needs than what is "right or wrong" in this debate.

I guess if I had to choose I'd rather have 3.75 inches of average slicing blade over 1.5 inches of excellent slicing blade, but that has everything to do with the situations I find myself needing a cutting tool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

Try slicing up an apple with a Manbug. Then try it with any Endura. There's no replacement for displacement. ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:31 am
Try slicing up an apple with a Manbug. Then try it with any Endura. There's no replacement for displacement. ;)
Gotta agree. I'd rather have too much blade, than not enough. (As I carry a Military today :beaming-face )
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I agree, blade length is not everything.

A Manbug would have no problem slicing up an apple. Might actually slice better than some other models because it has a thinner blade stock. It’s when you decide to introduce the caveat of “cut the apple in half in one slice” it becomes more difficult, if it’s possible at all.
-Nick :bug-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:22 am
...no matter how long the blade, if it cuts poorly, it's not worth anything.
I don't like trying to hold onto a knife with a handle that is small, and a blade that I have to arch my neck to see what the teeny tiny blade is doing. I have a few knives that are just too small to be useful. I'm comfortable with an EDC that has the right profile and a 4 to 5 inch blade, and due to martial arts training prefer 5 to 20 inches for combatives.

There are reasons for longer blades. Utility to a given task is #1, edge holding is #2, but they are both important.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The funny thing about this debate is there is absolutely no reason we can't have blade length and slicing performance. Most Spyderco's do a great job finding a sweet spot.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Outside of self defense uses, blade length is often determined by handle length and handle length is likely selected for hand comfort. In other words, people often select longer blades due to the larger handle being more comfortable, not because the blade is longer. This is not universal, so no need to follow on with the exceptions that we know are out there.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i use my teeth to slice my apples. they are very short blades and quite thick behind the edge.

to answer the question though, i guess i agree that it's not everything, but i do find it quite important for my tastes. the manix is about the shortest blade i want to carry anymore. i'll carry blades as long as 6" depending on what i'm going to be doing, but my preference for edc is 3.5-4.5".
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It’s not everything, but it’s something
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:08 am
i use my teeth to slice my apples. they are very short blades and quite thick behind the edge.

to answer the question though, i guess i agree that it's not everything, but i do find it quite important for my tastes. the manix is about the shortest blade i want to carry anymore. i'll carry blades as long as 6" depending on what i'm going to be doing, but my preference for edc is 3.5-4.5".
The apple cutting thing has always cracked me up. Unless you're feeding them to a child, or you have dentures...why are you cutting an apple??

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:09 am
ladybug93 wrote:

The apple cutting thing has always cracked me up. Unless you're feeding them to a child, or you have dentures...why are you cutting an apple??

Is "because I feel like it" not a good enough reason?

I also cut up my pickles in slices. I just like it that way.

🤷‍♂️
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:09 am
ladybug93 wrote:

I always slice my apples. Why? Because of an incident back in grade school. At lunchtime one day, another kid had a big red apple, and was taking big bites out of it. As he bit down, I saw a slimy trail of spittle running down the apple. The sight grossed me out so much that, when given a choice (which is virtually all the time), I slice my apples into bite-sized chunks. Plus, I prefer it that wat, anyway.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I suppose that works. Just seems like a lot of extra work, and a sticky knife, when you can just mow through one by hand and teeth.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:19 am
I always slice my apples. Why? Because of an incident back in grade school. At lunchtime one day, another kid had a big red apple, and was taking big bites out of it. As he bit down, I saw a slimy trail of spittle running down the apple. The sight grossed me out so much that, when given a choice (which is virtually all the time), I slice my apples into bite-sized chunks.

Jim
Hahahahha, that's something else! It's funny how certain things can traumatize us for life. Thankfully for you, it wasn't anything serious.

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:20 am
I suppose that works. Just seems like a lot of extra work, and a sticky knife, when you can just mow through one by hand and teeth.

You can mow through a box by hand and teeth too but a knife works better 🤣
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:20 am

You can mow through a box by hand and teeth too but a knife works better 🤣
Well played sir, well played :clinking-mugs

-Rick