"The knife guy"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

"The knife guy"

Post by sal »

In my usual haunts, I'm usually known as, "The Knife Guy". I noticed someone mentioned that in their office, they were "the Knife Guy". So how many of you are known as, "the Knife Guy" in your haunts?

sal
Mushroom

Re: "The knife guy"

Post by Mushroom »

I’m definitely considered “the knife guy” amongst my friends! I’m also lucky to have a couple friends that share my level of enthusiasm about knives and to them I’m considered “the Spyderco guy.” :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
olywa

Post by olywa »

Guilty
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Guilty. Though usually it is viewed with confusion or bewilderment. I've got a few people around who appreciate good knives, but they don't have collections or are compulsive about it.

To everyone else, it's a strange way to spend so much time and money.
So it goes.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had sorta had that moniker at work . Christmas , birthdays , and anniversaries were usually when some would either come to my desk or stop me when I would be on the floor checking stock or investigating lost materials . Basic question would be I want to buy a nice knife and how much would one cost . I would usually ask the basics , does he collect or does he just need a good knife for every day carry . If their eyes started to glare over I knew I was giving them a information overload . ha ! Most of the time I would help them get one to make their life easier and of course 99.9 % of the time it was a Spyderco. Year before I retired I found a wrapped box when I came to work with a note . I opened the box to find a custom knife from a maker well known in central Illinois . The manager came out as I was reading her note . The note said “ FOR ALL YOU DO FOR OTHERS .” I guess you might say I was Bloked and speechless . MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I caught the bug in 2001 when I started taking escrima classes. I am officially "The Knife Guy" around here. I have bought knives for my brother and mom. I even talked my mom into posing with one of my 18 inch bladed barongs.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I'm also known at friends and familiy as the guy always carrys a knife.
At work i have to be more careful because of my position.

ASF
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:19 am
I had sorta had that moniker at work . Christmas , birthdays , and anniversaries were usually when some would either come to my desk or stop me when I would be on the floor checking stock or investigating lost materials . Basic question would be I want to buy a nice knife and how much would one cost . I would usually ask the basics , does he collect or does he just need a good knife for every day carry . If their eyes started to glare over I knew I was giving them a information overload . ha ! Most of the time I would help them get one to make their life easier and of course 99.9 % of the time it was a Spyderco. Year before I retired I found a wrapped box when I came to work with a note . I opened the box to find a custom knife from a maker well known in central Illinois . The manager came out as I was reading her note . The note said “ FOR ALL YOU DO FOR OTHERS .” I guess you might say I was Bloked and speechless . MG2
Very nice story MG2, will you share a picture of this knife you were gifted? What was the most common Spyder you’d recommend?
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

In my work circle, I keep the knife collecting on the down low. Lots of sheeple where I work… they use scissors for everything. I keep the ladybug and occasionally get the glance while quickly using it during a med pass. Once someone was having a rough time with a thick box, was amazed a ladybug could slide right through it.

To my wife, I have a Spyder problem (she is right, after the 5th knife purchase) utility was out of the question. All my friends know me for sharpening their kitchen knives, and always carrying a razor sharp knife. In the last year I was helping a friends dad fix up his boat for the season, he had some strap or something needing cut, he was amazed to see it go like butter. I was carrying the Caribbean.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My obsession/hobby/lifestyle has been long known to my friends, family, and acquaintances. If you asked so what's Matt into? The first response from all of them would be 'knives'.

Co-workers figure it out after they notice I carry more than one knife, and it's a different knife every few days. Even the people that carry knives realize my appreciation for cutlery is a little 'different' than theirs when they see the quality and variety. The M4 Dodo with the jade g-10 got a lot of looks in the warehouse.

Another fun way I get known as the knife guy at work is my ability to name the knife in peoples pocket by looking at the clip and the visible part of the handle. This trick used to be easier, knives are a lot more popular than they were even 5 years ago. Too many brands and models to keep up with.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh without a doubt that's me. Anyone who knows anything about knives or has questions or wants something sharp, I'm that guy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:43 am
In my usual haunts, I'm usually known as, "The Knife Guy". I noticed someone mentioned that in their office, they were "the Knife Guy". So how many of you are known as, "the Knife Guy" in your haunts?

sal
I would like to see the haunt in which you wouldn’t be the knife guy! I’m the knife guy in my haunt but nobody cares. My wife does like her sharp kitchen knives and my nine year old son loves his collection of Spydercos.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd be surprised if it turned out that any of us forum inventories *weren't* known as 'that knife dude' :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Nate

Post by Nate »

^^Another one checking in here.
:spyder:
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yep, around friends and family, I'm the knife guy. I have given them a knife or two. The typical question I get is "How many knives do you have?" A few I answer. :grimace

My sister-in-laws gave me a custom made display case for my birthday made from tiger maple. It is beautiful. It is just a little small. ;)
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since there is not many knife people around me, I'm the "weird knife guy" part time and "the knife guy" when they need help or information :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Checking in with a positive to that question!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in!

At first it was Rick is the "knife guy" and that's kind of weird. I know around here at the mill, a lot of the guys watch or have watched the tv show Forged In Fire, and they thought it was pretty cool. Suddenly, the "knife guy" at work has more and more people coming around to talk about knives. Word has spread, and I now sharpen knives for a lot of people around here. It seems like being the "knife guy" is actually a pretty cool and useful/helpful title to have. I know I've mentioned it before, but we now have a nice core group of 5 of us here that are all into quality and very different styled knives these days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:07 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:19 am
Very nice story MG2, will you share a picture of this knife you were gifted? What was the most common Spyder you’d recommend?
My garage is considered the place to go when it comes to knives in town . As far as recommendations the Delica or Native for a first time user and if they like a larger knife the Endura . This is the Hinman knife , it has the old school look and performs in the field very well . Definitely not a lightweight. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau