First time buyer… which model would you choose?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JWhite225

First time buyer… which model would you choose?

Post by JWhite225 »

If you guys were going to buy your first spyder what model would you choose and in what blade steel would you want it in?
sal

Re: First time buyer… which model would you choose?

Post by sal »

Hi JWhite,

Welcome to our forum.

I would suggest a Delica.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sal knows much better than I do. That said, if I only had a Pacific Salt H1 SE, I wouldn't need another knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, when I was a first time buyer I chose a Native Lightweight in plain edge. I found it after casually passing by the knife counter at Walmart, and the hole in the blade immediately caught my attention. Then I went home and researched the brand, got paranoid about it being a cheap knockoff because it didn't have a Bug logo on the blade like I saw on the Spyderco website so I returned it and went to Bass Pro Shop and bought another one at twice the price. I also went with serrations on the second one because the Edge-U-Cation wording that explained serrations was written by a marketing genius and it sold me on the idea of a serrated pocket knife.

I carried that knife for 5 years before deciding to buy another one, which turned out to be a plain vanilla VG10/black Delica. My first post after joining this forum was to ask if it was fake because it was made in Japan, and I was under the impression that all Spyderco knives were USA made because of the "Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth" engraving on the Native.

So, I would say either of those models are a good start. They worked well for me. I believe my third purchase was a Sage 1, which I traded in because I was paranoid about it being made in Taiwan (boy was I wrong) and it was traded in for a Caly 3 ZDP. After that I believe I got a 154CM Manix 2 and then a Paramilitary 1 and then Para 2 and it pretty much spiraled out of control after that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

I agree with Sal. Delica in standard VG10.

Good size, under $100, and the steel is easy enough to sharpen for someone new to knives while still having good edge holding and stainless properties.

Or the Endela if they have larger hands and find the Delica to be too small (local laws permitting).
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would have to agree with the pacific salt recommendation. if you need a smaller knife, i would get a salt 2. if you need a smaller knife, i would go with a ladybug hawkbill salt. all of them in serrated h1. even if you carry other knives, a salt knife will always have a purpose in the lineup. i always carry a salt knife in my waistband in case of emergencies. that includes during workouts, where i don't want a knife bouncing around in my pocket, and even while swimming.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Delica or a Native are both great suggestions already posted that will give you years of use at an affordable prices . A Salt is another great option depending on use and your environment. Welcome to the Forum and let us know your choice . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Sal is the man to listen too so Delica (or if you want larger Endura) in VG10. My first Endura I have had for >30 years and it’s still fully functional and ready for daily carry. Amazing knives for the money!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

The choice is entirely dependent on what you use a knife for and how you use it. If these things are currently up in the air then a Delica is an excellent starting point. Things to consider beside use are how and where you carry along with how the knife fits your hand.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VG10 Endela Wharncliffe. I'm really sold on the Wharncliffe blade shape these days. I just added the K390 and VG10 Delica Wharnies and the Endela Wharnie to my arsenal this week in an order from DLT. The Endela is my favorite overall model in the Spyderco lineup, but I carry my Delicas a lot to save a little weight when I wear lightweight shorts. Hopefully some Endela Salts will out soon.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

The VG-10, plain edge Delica would be my pick. The close runner up would be the Chaparral lightweight. And with either, I might try to sneak in a vg-10 manbug wharncliffe if no one was looking; it's sort of the perfect companion knife.

My first Spyderco was a serrated edge dragonfly salt. I learned that I'm personally not a huge fan of serrations, but spyderco does them well so if you know you love serrations there you go. That Dragonfly now sits with my gardening tools for use in the yard. I still love the Dragonfly and own many others.

Here's a few things to consider. First, do you have any size restrictions that might limit what you can carry. This could be local laws, workplace policy, where you plan on carrying it on your person, or just personal preference. For me, I abide by my local jurisdiction and so I don't carry knives bigger than 3.5" which eliminates the Endura and Police, but includes the Delica and Endela. Second, are you looking for a knife you can use on whatever? For me, I've learned through trial and error that I can't own a knife worth over $200 without getting nervous about using it. No knock on the knife itself, expensive knives can take a beating. It's more just my psychology so I tend to stay well below that. Third, what's your preference for how it feels in the hand. For spyderco's classic workers, there's two basic handle shapes: wider and thinner. The wider ones are things like the Native 5, Stretch 2, Native Chief, Para3, PM2. The thinner ones are the ones like the Dragonfly, Delica, Endela, and Endura. I personally love the thinner ones and for me the wider ones just don't feel right. For my father he's the exact opposite.

If you do end up getting something and realize it's not for you, there's a great secondary market (e.g. knife_swap on reddit) where you can sell it for like $10-$15 shy of what you bought it for plus like $8 for shipping.

Let us know what you pick! And at some point you might want to dive into how to sharpen it, spyderco has plenty of tools for that as well.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

JWhite225 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:08 pm
If you guys were going to buy your first spyder what model would you choose and in what blade steel would you want it in?
What do you currently carry?
Are you a “one knife” person? Or do you have a collection?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

What does Sal know?

His Endura is spectacular, but his Endela makes it more of a Delica, and thus more spectacular.

I’m just being playful, of course. You can’t go wrong with any of the three. The thought and execution in each of them is highly evolved.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Serrated wharnie Delica. Best of both worlds. You'll thank me later ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Pacific Salt in either steel, either edge. Regular Salt if you have a blade length restriction.
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

The OP seems to have posted this same question in two different threads, seven minutes apart.

I suspect the OP did not realize threads would be moderated.

To answer the question:

I started with a wharnie Dragonfly.

Now I have another on the way, Dragonfly 2 Salt. :smlling-eyes
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
JWhite225

Post by JWhite225 »

I’m not new to knives just spyders. I’m 44 and have been collecting knives since I could walk and guns since the government would let me. I typically go for tactical knives and automatics but I wanted to branch out and finally try a spyder. I have no restrictions on what I can carry and right now I’m currently carrying a Microtech socom alpha mini tanto fixed blade and a hogue ex-a05 spear point black out along with a shadow systems mr920 elite. I’m currently using a work sharp precision elite for my sharpening needs.

From my research I have been considering a manix 2 because I like the cbbl lock, canis, yojimbo, para 3, pm2, and delica/Endela Wharncliffe. I have been wanting a wharncliff spyder in black in a premium steel but just can’t decide on what to try out first.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I suggest a Delica 4 or Endura 4 flat ground, depending on what size would work for your needs. I prefer the smaller Delica usually.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

JWhite225 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:44 pm
I’m not new to knives just spyders. I’m 44 and have been collecting knives since I could walk and guns since the government would let me. I typically go for tactical knives and automatics but I wanted to branch out and finally try a spyder. I have no restrictions on what I can carry and right now I’m currently carrying a Microtech socom alpha mini tanto fixed blade and a hogue ex-a05 spear point black out along with a shadow systems mr920 elite. I’m currently using a work sharp precision elite for my sharpening needs.

From my research I have been considering a manix 2 because I like the cbbl lock, canis, yojimbo, para 3, pm2, and delica/Endela Wharncliffe. I have been wanting a wharncliff spyder in black in a premium steel but just can’t decide on what to try out first.
Ok so this obviously isn't your first rodeo, and you have a good sharpening setup. K390 is my favorite steel. It can't replace all my needs because it's not corrosion resistant. I'd recommend that. You can get a delica wharncliffe in k390. Don't think endela has a wharncliffe k390, but they do have a k390 leaf blade.

None of those have black blades, but if you wanted a black handle with k390 you can always rit dye. Check out Nick Shabazz's videos on disassembly.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JWhite225 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:44 pm

I collect knives for self defense and some Spyderco knives are every bit tactical. Too bad you just missed the 6 or 7 Spyderco Native Chief run. They are fantastic and came in a wide variety of steels. You may be able to get one in S90V and S30V at this very moment.

But, in the end, a knife is just a knife. How you press it into service determines it's tactical wherewithal. Like I said, I'm looking at the Spyderco Nightstick and RMJ Raider Daggers, 3V, (Double Edged) with the info I gleaned form FCS Guro Ray Dionaldo on fixed blade knife drawing.

Manix 2, Canis, Yojimbo are available, and possibly a Yojumbo in S90V may still be available, check the threads.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/