First time buyer.. what model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JWhite225

First time buyer.. what model?

Post by JWhite225 »

So if you guys could do it over and buy your first spyderco, which model would you choose and in which blade steel would you like to have it in?
Michael Janich

Re: First time buyer.. what model?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JWhite225:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

My first Spyderco was an early Endura Lightweight, fully serrated, with an integral clip. The current Endura 4 Lightweight is even better, so I would start there--VG-10, saber ground, SpyderEdge. It has all the defining characteristics that scream Spyderco.

Stay safe,

Mike
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my first spyderco was a ladybug when i was a kid. after many years and many other knives, i came back to spyderco and bought a pacific salt in serrated h1. it reminded me of my childhood ladybug, but in an adult size, and it had the extra benefit of being rustproof. i've bought quite a few spydercos since, but no matter what other knife i'm carrying, i almost always have my pacific salt on me too. today i'm carrying a resilience in my pocket and the pacific salt in my waistband.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

If I had to start over my first Spyderco would be a Pacific Salt 2. Could go with plain edge or fully serrated - they're both awesome. Lightweight but full sized, rust proof, extremely tough, super easy to sharpen, excellent cutting performance and won't break the bank.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It really depends on how you will use it daily. My first was a Native and it was just about perfect for my needs. The rest I bought due to want, not need. Your hand size will also determine what knife works best for you. Vivi has XL hands and I have L hands and not every knife fits us the same. Your local laws will also need to be taken into account as some locations have blade length limits. Boston & Chicago are two well known examples.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:15 am
It really depends on how you will use it daily. My first was a Native and it was just about perfect for my needs. The rest I bought due to want, not need. Your hand size will also determine what knife works best for you. Vivi has XL hands and I have L hands and not every knife fits us the same. Your local laws will also need to be taken into account as some locations have blade length limits. Boston & Chicago are two well known examples.
Excellent points. I went with a Delica 4 for my first spydie because that's what everyone told me to get. I didn't like it because it was too small for my hands. The flat saber grind also cut worse than my swiss army knives.

Sold it and got a Military, and have been hooked ever since. The Military is still one of my favorites.

Definitely a good idea to try to handle a few models in person before making a decision if you can!
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Native 5 lightweight with mxg gear deep carry clip
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Delica wharnie serrated
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Pacific Salt, either steel, either edge. I like the H1 version a little better, but only due to the feel of the heavier blade.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I should add that I have no blade-length restrictions where I live. If I did, I would pick the regular Salt.
Skar

Post by Skar »

My first was manix 2 (g10).

For your first I would suggest the manix 2 salt manacut.
Other favorites would be para 3, delica, endura My Favorite steel is hap 40.

Hope you enjoy your pick.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

What do you plan on using the knife for?

How old are you?

What are the knife laws is your city, county, state, country?

I'm looking at getting 2 Spyderco Nightsticks for EDC. I have a few folders and I'm thinking of carrying fixed blades now. I detailed why I'm switching over to fixed blades in the martial arts thread in the Off Topic sub forum.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My first was a pm2 s30v 4 yrs ago. 30 spyderco later I still recommend a pm2. Iconic knife that everyone should try out.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:29 am
Native 5 lightweight with mxg gear deep carry clip
+1 (worth every Penny.) and with the Pennie’s saved, buy a sharpmaker from Sal too.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

JWhite225 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:01 pm
So if you guys could do it over and buy your first spyderco, which model would you choose and in which blade steel would you like to have it in?
For a first Spyderco.....I recommend staying away from the cheap FRN plastic handles. It didn't hold up well for me, others here like them. G10 and steel liners is where it's at for durability in my opinion.

As far as steel I recommend S30V as minimum, something in the M390, 204P, 20CV class of steel would be great.

Welcome to Spyderco Knives....they are awesome for sure!!!! :cheap-sunglasses
Jared

Post by Jared »

Probably one of the new Salt 2 models in LC200N. Super lightweight knife, super useful steel, rust proof, almost everything you really need in a good EDC folder.

Equally excellent option would be a PM2, largely because it’s just awesome, really awesome at being a great all around folder
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

My first was a copilot (very early spyderedge), replaced with a police PIG model that I used for edc for 6 years until I replaced that my original FRN with integral clip Endura (plain edge) that I still have. 30+ years of edc on that endura!

So what would I change? I wouldn’t have lost the darn Copilot down a storm drain or let a guy on duty use my police model and lose it! Other than that I wouldn’t waste money buying any other locking folder than a Spyderco. I tried the rest and went back to the best.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I was going to say what Mike said in the first response to your post. I too began with a first generation Endura in the 1990's. I still have that knife and it functions just fine. Today I usually carry a fourth generation Endura. Call it muscle memory or conditioning, but there is something about the Endura that just feel right in my hand. Anyway, for what it's worth...that's where I began with Spyderco.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Go with what works best for your needs and fits best in your hand, then your likes and preferences.

I started with a dragonfly because I liked smaller knives at the time and it wasn't a big cash outlay compared with other Spydercos (my pocket knives at that time ran in the $10 - $20 range so the Dragonfly was a step up in cost). I lost the dragonfly sometime later and decided to replace it with a Delica --- Wow!!!! perfect knife for me. Now probably 20 years later Delica is still my favorite. I've recently started trying one with the Wharncliffe blade. Never liked the looks of them but I'm finding it may be my new favorite.

Best,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’m going to assume that the OP already owns knives from other manufacturers and likes at least one or two of said knives!

That being the case, I would recommend picking up pretty much ANY Spyderco (or Byrd) with a full spyderedge! They do teeth better than anyone else. And while you’re at it, grab a sharpmaker for those teeth.

Similarly, if there is a steel that is distinctly Spyderco, it’s H1 (or spy27)…there are tons of sizes and options in an H1 salt Spyderco with teeth! A hawkbill ladybug is either number one or two on my personal “next to purchase” list.

And while I’m certainly not going to try and invalidate another poster’s experiences with spyderco’s frn scales, I think you’ll find a lot of folks around here who put them through plenty of hard work and they survive just fine.

(Btw, my first “Spyderco” was a Byrd meadowlark rescue and for my needs at that time, I would make the same decision many times over)