Light Blue over Yellow Knife Handle

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bolster

Light Blue over Yellow Knife Handle

Post by Bolster »

Dear Spyderco: I would love to buy a Spyderco knife with a light blue/yellow handle, even at a premium price, particularly if part of the proceeds were donated to an urgent cause.
Attachments
BlueYellow.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ChrisinHove

Re: Light Blue over Yellow Knife Handle

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yep. Me too. Good call.

If they’re seen to get away with this, then maybe we’ll need one in the Taiwan flag colours as well.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Just dye one scale blue and the other yellow.

View from the side.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Great idea, but then Spyderco would become a target for a certain country's cyber attack squads. It is a real and dangerous threat. Similar response to the good Taiwan suggestion.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:16 pm
Dear Spyderco: I would love to buy a Spyderco knife with a light blue/yellow handle, even at a premium price, particularly if part of the proceeds were donated to an urgent cause.
Pretty neat idea .Why not ask Taz to move to General Topic ? Really seems to be a Spyderco related topic ? Donation to a cause is a terrific motivator. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:27 am
Great idea, but then Spyderco would become a target for a certain country's cyber attack squads. It is a real and dangerous threat. Similar response to the good Taiwan suggestion.
So colors are related in some way to something political ? If so agree that could be a situation that could be detrimental. Need to understand to colors used . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If Spyderco is seen as taking a side in the conflict then Russia would assume they are a legitimate target.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:42 am
If Spyderco is seen as taking a side in the conflict then Russia would assume they are a legitimate target.
Thank you , yes this would not be a good idea . A private donation for example to the Red Cross may be a better alternative.
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I believe I was on CNN the other day and they had 5 verified donations that can be made for the Ukrainian people.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I just discovered that Ukr. War bonds are now an option.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Cox_Workshop on Instagram had a very similar idea. They have one of their models, in blue and yellow, up for auction. The post says that the high bidder shows proof they donated the amount to a reputable humanitarian charity and the knife gets shipped to them.
•• Beau
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Might need some custom scales in the Ukraine flag colors on one side and Red white and blue on the other.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:07 pm
Cox_Workshop on Instagram had a very similar idea. They have one of their models, in blue and yellow, up for auction. The post says that the high bidder shows proof they donated the amount to a reputable humanitarian charity and the knife gets shipped to them.

Neat.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 7.02.10 PM.png
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I have yet to figure out how to buy Ukrainian War Bonds. I can't figure it out. They seem to be unobtanium? I think Citigroup is brokering a deal but haven't been able to get a Citigroup human on the line yet.

Any of you been able to crack this nut? I really want to purchase some UWBs. I know it's highly risky as an investment, that's not the point. It's just that, AFAIK, the UWBs are the most likely to actually GET to the people who need the $$ to defend themselves. (I realize there are lots of organizations buying bandages, and that's great, but I want to invest in copper clad lead, rather than rolls of gauze. You don't win wars with gauze.)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can just donate money directly to the Ukrainian government via the bitcoin network, if don't need them to pay you back (i.e. you don't need to buy a bond).

Addresses in this Tweet from the official Ukrainian government account:
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1497 ... ukraine%2F

Full article from Time:
https://time.com/nextadvisor/investing/ ... o-ukraine/

Current (and updated) fundraising numbers (about $46million as of the time of this post) are here:
https://www.elliptic.co/blog/live-updat ... n-military
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I did some research on the Ukrainian war bonds. Basically they are doing a standard securities auction. There is no consumer level purchase method (at least not yet). You'd have to find a broker who could get into the auction (or was purchasing the bonds from another broker) to buy them for you.

It would be interesting if the Ministry of Finance could set up online purchases. I'm sure that would violate just about every securities regulation in the USA, UK and Europe, though.

I know that there was an attempt to do a crowdfunding campaign for ammunition, but it was suspended by the crowdfunding service as a violation of their terms of service.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks, Tom. I don't crypto anything, I'll have to find another way.

At the top of my list are these:

https://supportukraine.cz/en.html

Looks to be ^ the Ukrainian Embassy in the Czech Republic. I haven't done enough research to assure myself it's legit yet. I would like to find some vetted links to it. I can just imagine my money being re-routed via some sophisticated hack.

This one gets lots of mentions in the media:

https://armysos.com.ua/en/help-the-army

And this next one sure looks legit:

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi

The above has links from Business Insider (https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine ... 022-2?op=1) and Jane's (https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... -donations) and ukraine.ua (https://ukraine.ua/news/donate-to-the-nbu-fund/). And it's a solid looking URL with working links at all the many other bank-type linkages it contains. How could a hacker get ahold of bank.gov.ua?

If anybody knows if these are illegitimate, please post up before I squander cash (well, credit card) at the wrong place.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I admire you so much for the thought. This nightmare has been consuming me since it began. I don't have much extra, but I am going to see if I can throw something into the pot.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My $.02, I would only donate to well known, well established international aid organizations.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:13 am
My $.02, I would only donate to well known, well established international aid organizations.

Agree that's safest, and hope many contribute that way. However the aid orgs known to us in the USA (as far as I can tell) don't pay for what an army needs to win, they rather provide ancillary support. If I'm wrong about that, LMK, thanks.