Interesting Discussion About Pocket Clips On Another Forum

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pokey

Interesting Discussion About Pocket Clips On Another Forum

Post by Pokey »

Someone on another forum, (not Spyderco,) asked if people keep/use the "Ninja" clips on their knives, or whether they remove them and slip the knife in their pockets. The responses vary and people give the reasons why they use them or remove them. All in all it's been a very civil discussion, and no one is being judgmental. Someone even jumped in and mentioned that Sal designed the pocket clip for knives.

Some of the responses are funny. Some people have a hard time keeping a knife clipped to their pocket and are prone to losing them; "the seatbelt jettisoned the knife when I got out of the truck", "lost it while snowblowing the driveway," etc. One was even, "No. I do not. Why make access to your knife more difficult?" (I'm guessing they keep the clip. ;) )

Someone posted a picture of four Spyderco folders with well worn clips and titled it, "Happiness is a well worn pocket clip!"

One comment was even a back-handed acknowledgement to Spyderco on the success of pocket clips. He said, "For work I always carried a belt knife until the Spyderco invasion took over the duty knife scene."
The Deacon

Re: Interesting Discussion About Pocket Clips On Another Forum

Post by The Deacon »

Only knives I ever keep the clip on are automatics, especially OTF autos. Been carrying a pocket knife loose in my back pocket for 50 years when I finally discovered Spyderco, thought the round hole opener was the greatest invention since sliced bread, but saw no need to change how I carried my knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:43 am
if people keep/use the "Ninja" clips on their knives, or whether they remove them and slip the knife in their pockets. The responses vary and people give the reasons why they use them or remove them.
For decades I've been carrying knives with clips. I like the easy access, and I don't like the look of bulging pockets. I have a Mel Pardue designed Benchmade, a little switchblade that's really cool, that I removed the clip from when I got it. I didn't think it looked cool. Now, I wish I had kept the clip.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I almost always keep the clip on larger folders, but sometimes remove it on Delica-sized and smaller.

I've read posts by people saying they've never snagged their clips on anything, or ejected a knife due to snagging a clip, or worn a hole in seat covers with their clips... and kinda poke fun at people who have. I've done all of those things. I've bent clips beyond repair, and even ripped a clip from a folder by somehow snagging it on a tractor seat. I ruined the leather seats on two SUVs and a pickup by using clips (though it took long enough that the vehicles themselves were pretty well worn out).

I keep using them because of the convenience factor that attracted me to Spyderco to begin with. On the other hand, I get The Deacon's comment, too. I'm totally comfortable carrying a knife without a clip, and the lack of a clip wouldn't cause me to avoid a knife I liked for other reasons.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Lotta people have always lost knives, clipped or not. 'Traditionals' by slipping out of, or through a hole in, the pocket. Or just laying a knife down during outdoor use and forgetting about it. Some people lose knives on a regular basis, and expect that every new knife they buy will be lost at some point. Some people simply lose stuff all the time. Losing a clipped knife is just one more way they would have lost it.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Remember the commercial, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't"? Well, most of the time I don't want a clip, but sometimes I do. Spyderco gives me a choice. Choices are good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050