vg-10 observations (and SPY27 it's seeming)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

vg-10 observations (and SPY27 it's seeming)

Post by sethwm »

I've gotten a few vg-10 knives from spyderco recently. Manbug wharcliff, dragonfly wharncliff, dragonfly normal. These have been the sharpest knives I've gotten from spyderco. Just completely clean-shaving on my arm with one pass.

I've had the manbug the longest of these three, about a month now. I've been using it daily for basic EDC stuff. Not a ton of cardboard, but opening packages/letters, cutting some (small) food, etc. And it's still hair shaving sharp.

I've been down on vg-10 mainly because of the constant stream of "it's outdated and look at these super steels". But I'm really impressed with it. My on-body carry is normally 20cv because of the rust resistance and I put it in my jersey when I bike, but if the vg-10 can withstand that, I think it'll find a top spot in my rotation. It's certainly held up well to cutting (cooked) chicken, strawberries, and satsumas.
Last edited by sethwm on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwbnyc

Re: vg-10 observations

Post by jwbnyc »

VG-10 is very corrosion resistant.

It will do quite well for you in your use.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Man, there is a reason Spyderco has kept it around. It is great stuff.
Last edited by JSumm on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

In my experience VG-10 is just fine as an EDC steel. Better than many of the stainless super steels above this class, in my opinion. I think many hop on these new steel bandwagons and eschew older steels as inadequate just to be "relevant", or act as they know better. These trends ebb and flow. VG-10s usefulness, thankfully, does not.

No better, or best; just different. Thanx sal.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

I've had a tiny bit of VG-10 rust spotting after sustained carry during sweaty exercise (and I mean neglecting it for months), but it wiped off with no abrasives and no pitting. It's easy to keep sharp, cuts good, would buy again. I think it will be fine for bike duty. Let us know how it does if you try it.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’ve said it here before. VG-10 often fails to receive the credit it is due. It is a wonderful, well-rounded steel.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I have all but 1 of the steels that Spyderco has used in folding knives and even with all those options VG-10 finds its way into my pocket at least a couple days every week. I still enjoy both its use and simple maintenance, If that isn't a testament to its continued relevance as a great knife steel I don't know what is.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
sv4

Post by sv4 »

Nothing wrong with good old VG-10. I have plenty of VG-10 Spydies, the latest being an Endela Wave. Beautiful knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Satsumas! Love 'em!

I never listen to internet "experts". They are so full of it their eyes are brown. VG-10 is a great steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea man, I really like VG-10, and I don’t get why people are so down on it. I think they’re steel chasers.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'll be the first to admit that VG-10 doesn't stack up against M390, K390 or S90V for that matter for edge holding and overall performance. For sure there are newer/better blade steels we've been blessed with over the past 10 to 12 years. But I have no intention of getting rid of any of my Spyderco blades I've accumulated over the years with VG-10 blade steel.

It's been a great all purpose blade steel for all the knives I use on my outdoor activities and it is just fine for many specialty type blades like Hawkbill, Reverse S and other specialized blades.

And I still rate VG=10 as slightly above average for cutlery steel. I plan on keeping most all of my Spyders with VG-10 blade steel.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

VG-10 is a solid steel. A good all around mix of corrosion resistance, edge retention, and toughness. It's not a 'super steel', or powdered steel, but it's more than enough for most, and honestly probably better than what 90% of knife users are carrying. Especially Spyderco's VG-10 which is expertly heat treated by factories who have been doing it for decades.

These charts are from Dr. Larrin Thomas @ knifesteelnerds.com you can see how VG-10 compares to other stainless steels.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well those charts are really interesting in many aspects and I do enjoy glancing at them on occasion. And I dearly love all the contributions that Brother "LARRIN" has made to the Forum. But when it comes to "side by side" comparisons I don't find any method more effective than actually using the blades and using them in harsh conditions and on demanding jobs.

Oh sure those charts do give you something to go by but overall there is no comparison to actually using them in the field.

Years ago I heard that VG-10 was originally used as an "agricultural steel". I've always found that to be rather curious as to how they determined VG-10 to be a good cutlery steel.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:55 am
Well those charts are really interesting in many aspects and I do enjoy glancing at them on occasion. And I dearly love all the contributions that Brother "LARRIN" has made to the Forum. But when it comes to "side by side" comparisons I don't find any method more effective than actually using the blades and using them in harsh conditions and on demanding jobs.

Oh sure those charts do give you something to go by but overall there is no comparison to actually using them in the field.

Years ago I heard that VG-10 was originally used as an "agricultural steel". I've always found that to be rather curious as to how they determined VG-10 to be a good cutlery steel.

I heard that VG10 was originally used in blades for grafting in horticulture.

IMO, VG10 is an excellent steel that is good in both PE and SE.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

VG-10 never impressed me, nor did it let me down. Other steels are easier for _me_ to sharpen, so I usually prefer those over VG-10. It is a solid workhorse of a cutlery steel.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like that it works well with the Sharpmaker brown rods. Couple of passes and sticky and toothy edge.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

VG10’s properties are more than satisfying to me. It is easily serviced in the field, and it is not easily defeated by what most conditions will throw at it. Besides, it works well in SE, and is gorgeous like no other in certain finishes.

Consequently, I now have VG10 in 17 different Spyderco models (≠variants).

I might as well add that such acquisition was never my intent.

But—like the S30V in 17 different Spyderco models that I also now have—VG10 has revealed in me how strong my passion is for Spyderco designs; a passion that exceeds my interest in steels, which is hardly slight, what with my Spydie pile showing 24 named recipes.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Does VG 10 still have a reputation for holding onto a tenacious burr when sharpening? What's everyone's favorite sharpening progression for it? I love how vg10 Spyderco come with that sticky edge, and would like to replicate it.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I always considered my Spyderco VG-10 knives as being up to the task for any general EDC use, but I gained a greater appreciation of VG-10 after I picked up my first Shun Classics. Not sure how close Spydie VG-10 is to Shun VG-MAX. SHUN says it is a trade secret but speculation is that they are pretty darn close. Burrfection does a pretty good job of going down that rabbit hole if you've got 14 plus minutes to spare:

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:16 am
VG-10 never impressed me, nor did it let me down.... It is a solid workhorse of a cutlery steel.

My take exactly ^ but I could not state it as well, so: ditto. My impression is that it sharpens up nicely and holds a wicked keen edge for a modest amount of time. If we're just talking ingot steels, then a top steel. Difficult for an ingot steel to compete with a PM steel, however.

I think the Yang kitchen knife is my best kitchen knife, and it's VG-10.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189