How Many Have Push Knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

How Many Have Push Knives?

Post by Naperville »

I just received my first push knife, and I'm going to buy another.

I had "points" available at Knife Center so I bought the Cold Steel Urban Edge. Nice little knife for emergencies, and I'll wear it around my neck. Going to order the Cold Steel 36MJ Drop Forged Push Dagger Fixed Blade Knife 4" Gray Teflon 52100 next.

I only envision using these in rare circumstances, such as when you're wrestling with a perp and you can still strike to the leg somewhere. One lil jab might stop the fight and if not, come out swinging with it in a fist!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: How Many Have Push Knives?

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to, but now I only have a tiny one from Cold Steel. It fits on the zipper of my jacket or iPad bag as a zipper pull.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:48 pm
I used to, but now I only have a tiny one from Cold Steel. It fits on the zipper of my jacket or iPad bag as a zipper pull.
Original thinking there. The one that I have is a last ditch weapon.

After watching videos from FCS Kali - Guro Ray Dionaldo, I'm thinking about the Spyderco Nighstick and the push dagger as my EDC knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Two, at somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum.

push daggers.JPG

Schrade SCHF54 and A.G. Russell SMR-822-MI
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I have a Mike Irie Push Dagger. It's really well made, but I don't carry it or really use it for anything. It's just a novelty.
--Jeremy
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't own any. I think they look cool, I've just never gotten into them. For me they'd be a collection item as I have no real use for one. Where I live, knives are primarily tools, not SD items (because our jurisdiction allows other dedicated SD items).
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

The main thing to keep in mind with push knives is the length of the part of the blade that goes between your fingers, I'm sorry I don't know what it's called if anything. The more distance between your fingers and the blade itself the more the likely hood of twisting or "torquing" of the blade and possibly the handle in your hand. This can cause pretty substantial and noticeable pain and even injury during use especially as most of these knives have bare steel in the area I'm talking about.
Also the handles tend to be the same length on either side, one which is longer on the "bottom" side will afford more control, see the Shivworks push knife as an example.
Lastly blade length, the longer the blade on these the more likely hood of any or all of the above problems manifesting.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:18 am
Two, at somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum.

push daggers.JPG

Schrade SCHF54 and A.G. Russell SMR-822-MI
I would say the one on the left addresses many of the problems I mentioned in my last post while the one on the right, while a beautiful knife, exacerbates them!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Co Pilot wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:05 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:18 am
Schrade SCHF54
I would say the one on the left addresses many of the problems I mentioned in my last post while the one on the right, while a beautiful knife, exacerbates them!
I might pick one up.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Naperville,
The Shivworks push knives address many of the deficiencies with push knives, you may want to check those out. As well as the original Cold Steel Urban Skinner. I say original meaning the ones made in Japan which had a short distance between the base of the blade and handle while the later ones were quite long in this area. You might be able to find one on ebay? Good luck with either.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Co Pilot wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:35 pm
Naperville,
The Shivworks push knives address many of the deficiencies with push knives, you may want to check those out. As well as the original Cold Steel Urban Skinner. I say original meaning the ones made in Japan which had a short distance between the base of the blade and handle while the later ones were quite long in this area. You might be able to find one on ebay? Good luck with either.
I'll check them out! Thank you.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

N’ville,

You ever look into saps or blackjacks? Try D3 Protection if you order a custom
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:42 pm
N’ville,

You ever look into saps or blackjacks? Try D3 Protection if you order a custom
I've heard of D3.

Saps, blackjacks and brass knuckles are illegal to carry here, even if you have a FOID card. With a Firearm Owners ID Card you can carry automatics, although anyone can buy one.

Trying out all the legal avenues first. I traded my Cold Steel Urban Edge for a CRKT Folts Minimalist Katana. It's single edge and I'll probably keep that around my neck for now.

I fought with 4 - 1st string lineman from North Central College back in 86. I knocked the first one out. One caught the perp and held on to him because he was convulsing a bit. The last two I fought with for some time and NO, I did not "win" the fight...the last 3 to 5 minutes two 6ft plus 250lb goons roughed me up, but a neck knife would have been very handy. One held me and the other beat on me. At the time I did not carry knives. I always do now.

Had I even had a tiny neck knife they would have been bleeding badly.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Naperville,
The CRKT Minimalists are great little knives at a good price. Have you looked into the CRKT Obake? It's larger at about 3 1/2" blade and 4" handle and somewhat more expensive but is an excellent, affordable rendition of a Japanese kwaiken. The wrapped handle offers an amazing grip and is quite "neutral" allowing you to hold it in whatever grip you prefer. I find it works very well for reverse grip edge in. It comes with a pretty wicked edge in my experience.
Also Boker makes a great sfb in the Boker Plus SFB, lol. Great ergos, build quality and an excellent deep index finger notch/choil making for a pretty effective "guard" as it were. Most people making and using self defense knives seem to overlook the importance of having something to keep your fingers/hand from sliding onto the blade, often making and using knives with nothing that affords this protection. I worked in law enforcement for 22 years and most cases involving knives were assaults but the perp was usually injured also. In the hand/fingers because they had slid onto the blade. Because the knife of choice was a kitchen knife. Why? Cheap, available everywhere and legal! Criminals rarely if ever have expensive knives or guns, despite what Hollywood and politicians tell us.
Many SD oriented knives have grippy or tacky handles to prevent sliding onto the blade. Great. Except when your tight grip loosens because of impact with the target or takes an impact.
Sorry for the long post and if I veered to far off your topic.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Co Pilot wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:07 am
Naperville,
The CRKT Minimalists are great little knives at a good price. Have you looked into the CRKT Obake? It's larger at about 3 1/2" blade and 4" handle and somewhat more expensive but is an excellent, affordable rendition of a Japanese kwaiken. The wrapped handle offers an amazing grip and is quite "neutral" allowing you to hold it in whatever grip you prefer. I find it works very well for reverse grip edge in. It comes with a pretty wicked edge in my experience.
Also Boker makes a great sfb in the Boker Plus SFB, lol. Great ergos, build quality and an excellent deep index finger notch/choil making for a pretty effective "guard" as it were. Most people making and using self defense knives seem to overlook the importance of having something to keep your fingers/hand from sliding onto the blade, often making and using knives with nothing that affords this protection. I worked in law enforcement for 22 years and most cases involving knives were assaults but the perp was usually injured also. In the hand/fingers because they had slid onto the blade. Because the knife of choice was a kitchen knife. Why? Cheap, available everywhere and legal! Criminals rarely if ever have expensive knives or guns, despite what Hollywood and politicians tell us.
Many SD oriented knives have grippy or tacky handles to prevent sliding onto the blade. Great. Except when your tight grip loosens because of impact with the target or takes an impact.
Sorry for the long post and if I veered to far off your topic.
My brother just retired from the Chicago Police Department after around 27 years, working as a patrolman. Congrats on your 22 years. I know it can be rewarding and at times anguishing.

I'll have to look at the different knives you listed. I picked out two Shivworks knives too....just have to save up for them now.

I really like this Folts knife that I'm wearing around my neck now. The finger cutouts are fantastic for grip and it is like it was made for my hand.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Shivworks disciple and clinch pick or the PD from Shivworks.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Naperville,
Congrats to your brother, 27 years as a patrolman in CPD is no joke or easy by any means, that's a tough town as I'm sure you know. I hope he found it rewarding as there is sure as **** a lot of anguish. Glad he made it out the other side.

Good luck with the Shivworks knives, Craig Douglas really thought all of them out well. The knives mentioned by Jim Malone are also excellent, especially the Clinch Pick, small, easy to conceal and an excellent grip. I find it can also be used reverse grip edge in or pikal as I'm sure you know it from your FMA experience. The CP is quite well suited to your intended uses and requirements if you want to veer from a push knife.

There are a few videos on it's use on YouTube, though I don't think any show it used in pikal. I'm sure you will figure that out based on your experience and training in FMA.

Good luck again and keep us updated.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I use my CP in pikal grip. I know it's designed as a standard or " heaven" grip edge out but i use it in Reverse Grip Edge In with my dominant hand. Because i carry it at 12 o clock i can draw it with my left hand in the way Southnarc has designed it for. The only drawback with drawing it with my non dominant left hand is that i can't put my thumb on the blade like i'm used to and have to draw it hammer grip. That might cause a problem during high stress drawing the knife because you revert to your training instinctively. Well see. I used a fosters blackjack when i was working as a LEO quit effectively in civil attire. These are potentially lethal weapons so headshots are a big risk. Southnarc had a forum called TPI a few years ago. Also have some Push daggers by Cold Steel and Benchmade. I want to buy the push dagger of Shivworks in the future. Another option is the rather expensive Bastinelli Push Dagger in collaboration with Microtech. I always carried different tools in the past. In uniform Long gun- handgun- impact weapon - O.C. spray - kubotan - backup knife. In civilian attire no long gun of course. This way you can move up or down thru the force pyramid.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Mr Malone, I'll check out the Benchmade and Bastinelli Push daggers. I like the 4 inch 52100 Cold Steel push daggger, and I may buy it as a novelty but I cannot legally carry it because it's a dagger.

At the tail end of my brother's watch they practically had him disarmed force level-wise in hand to hand. In uniform he could have his long gun locked in the trunk, although I'm not sure if he took it every day. He had to pass a course, qualify on it, and buy one. I think that it was an AR-15. Same with his handgun. NO impact weapon, NO flashlights. He may have been able to carry O.C. spray, and I know he had a backup knife, because I always supplied him one or two. He really missed being able to carry his nightstick and d-cell maglight, but the CPD banned them. So instead he used his fists, and managed to break both hands over the years a couple of times. The guy that did his wrists and hands was one of the best DRs in the Chicagoland area.

After he retired about a year or so back, he underwent surgery for a hernia, both hands, and one wrist. One of his shoulders still bothers him, but he had a top notch Dr look at it and they said, due to the complexity of the shoulder, we may be able to fix it and we may not, so he has been holding off.
archangel

Post by archangel »

They're illegal in Germany, afaik. Are they legal everywhere else?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...