A good day for getting cool stuff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

A good day for getting cool stuff

Post by sal »

I just received the first production pieces from two recent shipments. Two knives that I selfishly designed with my values in design, mostly for me. I am please with the results.

Caly 3.5 - ZDP/Carbon fiber. We've had our challenges getting this model for a variety of reasons. The maker had gone through a series of really bad luck storms and I'm pleased to say that they seem to have overcome the adversities and delivered a piece that is as good as they've done. The ZDP is laminated with 420J2 San Mai and the polished carbon fiber is very nice. The 3.5" blade works well with the handle, for my hand, I would use the finger choil for a good grip and control. In my opinion, one of my all around better designs. Of course I'm pretty biased.

Stretch 2 XL - 4.0" blade, straight spine VG-10. FRN liner-less handle which is large enough to get a full grip behind the finger choil or a firm grip close to the edge with the finger choil. Lance has been talking about this model for a while. I am also biased on this design. It seems to have come round full circle closely resembling the original Endura 1, but with another 3 decades of designing experience for refinement. Some of you seem to enjoy the larger models and I think this will show well.

Interesting that I would get both at the same time. I hope they are well received. Please pardon the shameless plug. They should be shipping soon.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Re: A good day for getting cool stuff

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Very cool. Glad ZDP-189 is living on in at least one model. And I DO like big knives :grin-big eyes
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I’m excited to see the Caly as the pictures look great. It’s on my short list. Will the 3 inch Caly ever be in production again?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always said the Calypso family is what I consider "Spyderco royalty" because the basic shape seems to have influenced so many models that came after it. I'm a little surprised today that the Native 5 is so popular while the Caly 3 faded away, and I even prefer the non thumb ramp design of the Native. It's the same with the Sage series, I think the lock variety is what carried that design, I would go with a Caly 3 over a Sage every time. I can only imagine the hype if you managed to make a Compression Lock Caly 3 or 3.5...the internet might implode.

My one gripe about the design is how shallow the blade tip seats into the handle. It doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip when the blade is closed. I wouldn't mind seeing this tweaked a bit to give you more sharpening life before this becomes an issue. Otherwise as far as small choiled designs go I think these are among the best ever designed.

What's really funny is how the standard VG10 Caly 3 is something of legend. Try finding one to buy today...
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Very good news on both models! Can wait to get both in hand.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sal, if may ask, any changes to the Call 3.5 or CQI? This model was on my 2022 want list. I figured I would find one still in stock somewhere from previous batches or on the secondary market. However, it is very exciting that a new batch is coming.

Also, great to here that the maker is on the ups. They should be proud of this model. It may just be my personal favorite design.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Funny, the Caly 3.5 is on my 2022 list too! With a swayback if I'm lucky.
Oh, and the Stetch XL is too.

Happy to know production resumed on the Caly 3.5!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mr Glesser, I own and swing between two of your best designs, one’s tiny the other’s a big bugger. Both are best of class in this little Aussie’s use.

Somehow steels developed for rollers, hot rolling ingots etc. seem to make good blade steels but from where I’m standing steels made for cutlery like VG10 and ZDP189 are pretty hard to beat.

I want a Maxamet Military no doubt, but if you made a ZDP189 Military ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
araneae

Post by araneae »

Hey Sal. It's a good day when a Caly of any sort is back in production. I am waiting for the lightweights to appear, hopefully linerless heirs to the Caly Jr throne...

I am also super interested in seeing how the Stretch turned out. I feel like it could be a great outdoors work knife. I have always preferred linerless knives and was happy to hear about this one.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you Sal for the information. Much appreciated, MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Good news Sal! I expect both to sell out quickly. Hopefully the supply chain will bounce back quickly for the restock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Thanks for the update Sal. The ZDP Caly 3.5 will always be in my rotation, it really is a great design. Glad to hear it’s back so more people can experience it.

If the manufacturer can keep it up it would be great to see another release in G10 with another steel down the road.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:32 am
Sal, if may ask, any changes to the Call 3.5 or CQI?
What would you have them change?

I have a Caly 3 (HAP40) and a Caly 3.5 in the configuration Sal's mentioned. I like them just the way they are
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Matus

Post by Matus »

Good news!

I hope that first production pieces of SE and PE Ayoob are also already om the way :savouring
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:54 am
JSumm wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:32 am
Sal, if may ask, any changes to the Call 3.5 or CQI?
What would you have them change?

I have a Caly 3 (HAP40) and a Caly 3.5 in the configuration Sal's mentioned. I like them just the way they are
Just curious if it is a restock of the same model or if any changes were made. I was afraid this model may be discontinued and I missed my opportunity to get one. It is high on my want list. In fact, it is probably the only model I am looking to add right now that is not a new design.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Excellent news on both counts. The Caly 3.5 is sure to be a looker, and the Stretch XL should be one hard working knife. Cheers!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Awesome Sal! I am eager to try the XL.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I'm pretty excited for both of those.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

That's great. I love that ZDP 189 is getting used.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I guess I'm confused about the Caly 3.5 ZDP news, that one's been around for quite a while. I had one and sold it off years ago. Not to bad-mouth the model, the Caly 3.5 is in my top three favorite Spydies, but it's been a standard in the catalog for quite some time. Now the Stretch XL is a completely different matter, and I eagerly await the inevitable K390 version.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King