2nd hand kaparas (dlt and stock)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bjz

2nd hand kaparas (dlt and stock)?

Post by bjz »

Okay, In just a few short months the kapara has darn near taken over most of my non-work pocket time BUT I’m not interested in losing/beatering it in the yard, foraging/hiking, river trips, working on the vehicles etc so I’d like to pick up a “beater” kapara.

Other than this forum, and various mostly governmental atmospheric and avalanche related websites, I avoid the internet at most costs. My question to all y’all is whether or not kaparas (esp the dlt 20cv version) pop up in the swap enough that I could find one reasonably quick without spending an abundance of my time on the interwebs? Or do I just suck it up and purchase new (or wait for the stretch xl or chief lw).

Thanks for sharing!!!
araneae

Re: 2nd hand kaparas (dlt and stock)?

Post by araneae »

I'd just use it and if you lose it it through use, buy another. I don't think you're going to find a great deal for a used one as it is a popular model. If you love it you won't have a hard time buying another.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If a cheap kapara does pop up then it wont last long. You would have to do some serious hunting and constant online checking to snag a "good" deal on a kapara.

I also doubt you will come across a cheap beater kapara as well. Most people arent going to go digging through the dirt with their kapara.

Honestly, I wouldnt want a beater kapara, I would much rather have a beater other model, and a kapara for other non-beater stuff. Its a tough call, I say variety is the spice of life, and if you want to beat on something then I think a different model is better. On the other hand, if the kapara is just absolutely your perfect knife, then it may be worth it to get another one to have as a beater version. Dont really know what to tell you.

I just wouldnt hold my breath on a cheap kapara popping up, and if it does you would have to be quick.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I bet you would be hard pressed to find a crazy cheap deal on a Kapara. The Kapara is my favorite overall design. I would love to use it as an outdoor knife, but the slick scales kill it for me. If you were to use it as a work or outdoor knife, you may want to look at the Micarta scales on DLT website. I believe they would add some grip. Those scales are on my short list to buy.

Of course adding those scales add cost and may limit the desire to use it harder. For me, I would use it more if it was grippier.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:24 pm
I bet you would be hard pressed to find a crazy cheap deal on a Kapara. The Kapara is my favorite overall design. I would love to use it as an outdoor knife, but the slick scales kill it for me. If you were to use it as a work or outdoor knife, you may want to look at the Micarta scales on DLT website. I believe they would add some grip. Those scales are on my short list to buy.

Of course adding those scales add cost and may limit the desire to use it harder. For me, I would use it more if it was grippier.
Sadly I agree , after handling one the scales were not my preference. I must say it is a beautiful knife worthy of anyone wanting one . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You simply will not find a "cheap" Kapara out there, it's far too popular of a model. They rarely come up on the BF Exchange (a great place to also keep an eye on BTW), and are usually snapped up immediately. The 20CV exclusive is even more elusive, and you most likely will not find them at a cost lower than original sticker price. You should also keep in mind that the Kapara pivot underwent a CQI change to make it more free-dropping, so many of the ones up for resale are the older-style pivot (which are not terrible but definitely have less smooth action compared to the new CQI ones). There's also a few scale swap versions out there, where the owners (including myself) swapped those gorgeous stock CF scales onto the 20CV model and sell off the remainder (gray scales with S30V) - again there's a good chance those ones have the pre-CQI pivots as well.

In terms of after-market scales, I would also recommend checking out "Karbadize" (Spencer) on IG who makes some amazing custom scales that include a finger groove cutout for better purchase/grip on the handle. The RGT scales, while also super awesome, lack this finger groove so any added traction you get is due just to him using Micarta. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Revival

Post by Revival »

Hey @bjz I sent you a PM.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I agree with araneae, life is to short to baby knives! Just carry and use the one you have. Put some wear on it!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bjz

Post by bjz »

Okay, okay…somehow I “lost” this thread (really I thought it might have been moved to off-topic or deleted for not meeting rules or such.

A couple of folks sent me PM’s, thank you.

When I posted, my main intent was to gage relative time-value of going through the motions of joining the swap and the time on the Internet required to possibly track something down…hours spent online is not worth any potential cost saving that may be realized. I truly attempt to minimize my “screen time” to the extent possible.

A few other important clarifications!

1) this year I went way outside of my norm when it comes to spending and picked up a Kapara and a Watu with the intention of these being my “fancy” super light duty evening/weekend carry knives that would ultimately be handed down to each of my two nephews when they graduate college. So, I want them to be “heirlooms” with some use, but not hard used. Their mom is more of a buy cheap and disposable kind of human and I’ve been trying to provide a counterpoint to that.

2) nowhere in my original post did I claim I was looking for a LOW EXPENSE option. Sure it would be nice to find something under $200 because, wow, those new Taichung prices have climbed, but that’s besides the point. I am considering (preferring) used because I know it’s going to be USED by me and whenever possible I try to put good things that others don’t want back into service rather than always purchasing new. It’s a personal preference.

3) perhaps the most important reason I am looking 2nd hand is that my preference would be for a DLT 20cv version over the stock production version. 2nd hand market is the only way to find one right now regardless of “cheapness”.

4) I am only considering the swap that Vivi set up…I’m not interested in messing around with bladeforum, Reddit at large etc etc.

All in all, it sounds like it’s probably not worth my time hunting for the DLT version but if I put in the effort to join the swap, I might stumble across something (especially the pre-CQI). Thanks!

Oh, one last thing…”beater” was a poor choice of wording as it somewhat implies misuse! I would suspect that very few folks out there would use a Kapara for the same sort of tasks they would an endela/stretch/police/etc because of the expense and handles…it’s just a really great fit for me for what I use a larger blade for. The handle is great, the blade/edge profile are great for my use, I like compression locks…oh, and for me, if a knife isn’t actively being used to cut something, it’s closed and in my pocket so I am rather indifferent to the CQI pivot.

Wow, that was lengthy…used up my screen time allotment for the day! Cheers all
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The only reason I discussed whether there would be lower cost options available is that you specifically mentioned finding a “beater”… That to me implies you weren’t looking to pay full price for a new one.

The swap run by folks here is certainly not going to have the same volume of knives available as does the BF Exchange or other places (such as eBay). In fact, there’s a used Kapara available on page two of the “Folding Knives” section of the BF Exchange for $120 that I’m surprised no one has grabbed. Either way, best of luck with your search! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bjz

Post by bjz »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:40 pm
In fact, there’s a used Kapara available on a page two of the “Folding Knives” section of the BF Exchange for $120 that I’m surprised no one has grabbed. Either way, best of luck with your search! Cheers, Radioactive
I’m workin on this…if successful, my para 3 lw and sprint stretch SS will go away (they were both impulses and have spent most their time in my sock drawer)
citori

Post by citori »

The Kapara is my favorite Spyderco at the moment and it gets about all the carry time. Like you I wanted to get a backup while they were in production so I looked around for a while trying to get a DLT version. There have been some pop up in the $200 range but they are snatched up fast, and they seem to be going for closer to $300 on the auction sites.

20CV is fun and all but not that much better for me than the standard S30V. I have a couple of pairs of third party micarta scales and still prefer the CF handles on the stock version, so no motivation there either. I ended up with a second base model.

I do see the pre-CQI pivot versions in the $150 range pretty often. CQIs are closer to $200 in any sort of condition.
bjz

Post by bjz »

citori wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:27 am
The Kapara is my favorite Spyderco at the moment and it gets about all the carry time. Like you I wanted to get a backup while they were in production so I looked around for a while trying to get a DLT version. There have been some pop up in the $200 range but they are snatched up fast, and they seem to be going for closer to $300 on the auction sites.

20CV is fun and all but not that much better for me than the standard S30V. I have a couple of pairs of third party micarta scales and still prefer the CF handles on the stock version, so no motivation there either. I ended up with a second base model.

I do see the pre-CQI pivot versions in the $150 range pretty often. CQIs are closer to $200 in any sort of condition.
Which scales do you have, and can you comment on them? I really like the original CF scales and haven’t had issues but could see maybe trying something different
citori

Post by citori »

bjz wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:18 pm
Which scales do you have, and can you comment on them?
Ripp's Garage Tech. They have several options in micarta and I have a set in linen Bone and another in canvas Burgundy.

Both sets fit up great, no issues there. I like the looks of the linen ones but they aren't as grippy as CF to me. I actually left the backspacer in when I switched back because I forgot, and decided I liked it better than red so it is still there.

The burlap ones are nice and grippy and so I left them on my second Kapara that I take hiking where my hands might be wet or something when I use it. I don't know that they are actually better for that than stock CF, haven't used them enough yet.
bjz

Post by bjz »

citori wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:01 pm
bjz wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:18 pm
Which scales do you have, and can you comment on them?
Ripp's Garage Tech. They have several options in micarta and I have a set in linen Bone and another in canvas Burgundy.

Both sets fit up great, no issues there. I like the looks of the linen ones but they aren't as grippy as CF to me. I actually left the backspacer in when I switched back because I forgot, and decided I liked it better than red so it is still there.

The burlap ones are nice and grippy and so I left them on my second Kapara that I take hiking where my hands might be wet or something when I use it. I don't know that they are actually better for that than stock CF, haven't used them enough yet.
Those are the two that caught my attention. Well, the bone linen are off the list in favor of the orange but this is for a potential “outdoors” kapara.
SnackPack

Post by SnackPack »

If you want a beater, just get a Native 5 and use the snot out of it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bjz wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:27 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:40 pm
In fact, there’s a used Kapara available on a page two of the “Folding Knives” section of the BF Exchange for $120 that I’m surprised no one has grabbed. Either way, best of luck with your search! Cheers, Radioactive
I’m workin on this…if successful, my para 3 lw and sprint stretch SS will go away (they were both impulses and have spent most their time in my sock drawer)
The swap page is extremely slow, borderline pointless. I've tried to sell quite a few things on there (even knives I figured would be pretty desirable) Though I did just luck out for a change the other day and am passing along a knife that just got shipped out today. Other than that...very disappointing. Not just for me, but seeing plenty of other posts with no replies. I figured knives on that site would be moving pretty quickly. I'm about to take a bunch of hits with eBay fees myself if mine don't get any action on the swap page within the next few days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick