Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThe dreaded Tree Frog known to drop onto wife’s arm when opening patio umbrella . If I could only get a video. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:57 am
Ha Ha! A video would be priceless. That is very interesting camouflage that guys has.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Over a year ago, I had Bald Face Hornets make a home of my back yard. It was right above the kids trampoline. They had to go. If you have ever been around these guys, they are some of the more aggressive variety. You do not have to get to close to the nest before they decide to attack.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

We have had the Hornets that make a ball shaped nest that hang from a limb . The nest has a paper texture , they usually are high in a tree and I have never heard of anyone stung . They are highly prized by some people who spray them with shellac to preserve them to display . I think I know where a nest is located in town I will see if I can get a picture. MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageCaught in the act ! Notice color change ? Sometimes we may have four or five in backyard yard . If one starts to chirp they all start making a racket . I play a recording on my phone just to pester them . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:48 am
Sword Slysz Bowie of Damocles!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Another critter. This was at Zion National Park. This was a red squirrel. Squirrels are different colors/varities across the states. Many years ago, I was vacationing on Lake Huron and the squirrels up there are black. I believe they are Black Morphs a variety or genetic mutation from Eastern Greys. Here in Georgia, we have the Eastern Gray variety.

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
benben

Post by benben »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:24 am
Over a year ago, I had Bald Face Hornets make a home of my back yard. It was right above the kids trampoline. They had to go. If you have ever been around these guys, they are some of the more aggressive variety. You do not have to get to close to the nest before they decide to attack.

Pretty sure I've been stung by every variety of Bee here in NC, nothing touches a Hornet, they're just mean!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:02 am
Another critter. This was at Zion National Park. This was a red squirrel. Squirrels are different colors/varities across the states. Many years ago, I was vacationing on Lake Huron and the squirrels up there are black. I believe they are Black Morphs a variety or genetic mutation from Eastern Greys. Here in Georgia, we have the Eastern Gray variety.

We have mostly Red in a few areas in state there are Grays . In Pekin in a neighborhood there are some White Squirrel which is a genetic mutation. I like eating Squirrel as much as Rabbit . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

One of our Bush Turkeys at Balls Head on Sydney Harbour.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:02 pm
One of our Bush Turkeys at Balls Head on Sydney Harbour.

So glad to see a contribution from you are they good to eat ? Be careful taking Salt Croc and snake pictures, we need to keep you on the Forum ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi Dan, by all accounts they’re fairly good eating but like all our native animals they’re protected and fines for interfering with them are quite high.

They’re everywhere on the northern side of the harbour so I’d see them regularly on the way to work, generally holding up traffic crossing roads.

They’re silly things and it’s not uncommon to see mobs of half a dozen crossings roads and walking along foot paths with pedestrians.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you Bloke , I never realized how animals are protected in Australia. That’s not a bad thing. It’s great to see nature from everywhere. Have a great day . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThis Tree Frog had earlier been on garage and hadn’t changed color of skin to his surroundings. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageSomething rarely found . A Hummingbird nest . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageLeader of the group of does that hit my feeder box . She was right behind garage . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:58 am
Beautiful! This reminds me of the Butterfly Sanctuary in Calloway Gardens South Georgia. I need to take the kids down there.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005