Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by Mad Mac »

Giant Crane Fly

This from Google Generative AI:

Crane flies, also known as mosquito hawks, are larger than mosquitoes and have longer legs. They have bodies about 3/4 inch long and legs about 4 inches long. They can gather in large numbers, and their larvae are about 1 inch long.

Crane flies are harmless to humans. They don't bite, sting, or transmit diseases. However, they can be a nuisance because they are attracted to lights and can get stuck in screens.
They can also cause panic attacks because of their size.

Crane flies are beneficial to the ecosystem because their larvae help with decomposition. The larvae live in moist soil and feed on decaying organic matter.
Crane flies are weak fliers and only drink water, so they don't live very long.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

More 34million year old bugs I found in my fossil hunting trip at Florissant, CO:
Robber Fly. This guy is about 3/4 inch long. Reverse side of this has a leaf (no ID yet) and an acorn with its scaly cap still attached.
Robber Fly-Leaf - Florissant, CO_(#0010F)rs).jpg
A beetle, no id. I found this one just walking around the dig site looking for more shale to split. It is the bottom side of a beetle as you can make out the legs folded under it. Its wings or top plates were out when it died. This one is about 1/4" long.
Beetle(Unknown)_Florissant, CO_(#0009F) (6).JPG
And my favorite find insect-wise. A super well defined Weevil. A very lucky first split find for the day.
Weevil - Florissant, CO_(#0008F)rs).jpg
10x Loupe shots with phone:
Weevil - Florissant, CO_(#0008F) (1).jpg
Weevil - Florissant, CO_(#0008F) (2).jpg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

troutinCO wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:29 am
More 34million year old bugs I found in my fossil hunting trip at Florissant, CO:
Robber Fly. This guy is about 3/4 inch long. Reverse side of this has a leaf (no ID yet) and an acorn with its scaly cap still attached.
Robber Fly-Leaf - Florissant, CO_(#0010F)rs).jpg

A beetle, no id. I found this one just walking around the dig site looking for more shale to split. It is the bottom side of a beetle as you can make out the legs folded under it. Its wings or top plates were out when it died. This one is about 1/4" long.
Beetle(Unknown)_Florissant, CO_(#0009F) (6).JPG

And my favorite find insect-wise. A super well defined Weevil. A very lucky first split find for the day.
Weevil - Florissant, CO_(#0008F)rs).jpg
10x Loupe shots with phone:
Weevil - Florissant, CO_(#0008F) (1).jpg
Weevil - Florissant, CO_(#0008F) (2).jpg
Nothing like an old bug to make my day ! These fossils are really cool ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That last one came up 7 of 7 on Seek
as a Walnut Orb Weaver.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Saw this little snapper crossing a busy running/biking trail so I put him in a creek nearby loaded with minnows 😉
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I’ve never seen a snapper that small. Awesome
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

SG89 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:13 am
I’d never seen one that small before either but once when I was like five/six years old our cousins from Dallas were visiting for the summer and we were making mud pies…well Chris (he was two years older) told me to get some mud out of another puddle that he had seen a little bit bigger snapper than the one above stick its head out of the water so I reached in and BAM!!! The little bast… got me on my right ring finger and would not let go…my mom poured some rubbing alcohol on its head and it finally released its grip…needless to say Chris got grounded for a few days cause he couldn’t stop laughing and she got him to confess 😉
Last edited by SaltyCaribbeanDfly on Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SG89 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:13 am
I was told a long time ago Snappers are aged by weight . Approximately a pound per year . When I was a kid staying with grandparents they had a circulat picket fence in yard and guys fishing at night would drop off Snappers for grandparents. Grandpa had a blacksmith make a rod with a lip and another with a fork . It made dispatching them quick and easy and then to bench and saw open and butcher the meat . Love fried turtle , some bars around here still occasionally have a turtle feed special . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Killer camo pattern!!!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

JSumm wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:39 am
The Joro Spiders have decreased in population since exploding in Georgia. But you can still find them everywhere. They are quite large. Females being the large ones and males being small in comparison. When you find a web you will see the large female in the middle. Look close and you will see several small males in the same web system. A few years ago they didn't exist in Georgia. They were imported from Asia. The first year they exploded, they covered every bush and tree. It was insane and made all the local news. Now they are still everywhere, but no where near dramatic. They come out in August and die off as it gets cold.

Nothing like running into a Joro web in the dark on your way to a deer stand 🤬
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Pickerel Frog
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Wife and I were walking up driveway and noticed this battle in progress . I have never seen something like this . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Bumble bees and I think they are mating:

"Bumble bees have a different wintering strategy than honey bees. Virgin bumble bees leave their nests in late summer and early autumn to mate. After they have mated, they crawl underground and enter diapause. They spend the entire winter in this quiet state. Once spring comes, the first bumble bees that are seen flying around are these large queens looking for new nest sites!"
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=342129296348675
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:28 pm
Bumble bees and I think they are mating:

"Bumble bees have a different wintering strategy than honey bees. Virgin bumble bees leave their nests in late summer and early autumn to mate. After they have mated, they crawl underground and enter diapause. They spend the entire winter in this quiet state. Once spring comes, the first bumble bees that are seen flying around are these large queens looking for new nest sites!"
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=342129296348675
Mac , that is very possible because they were kind of stuck together . Thanks for your help ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image on a long journey.
Henry David Thoreau
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cool 😎
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
advan

Post by advan »

A few Phiddipus audax from around the yard this last week.

6mm Juvenile

10mm Sub-adult

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Fantastic!
Sure am glad they are small.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Incredible!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wow! I'm glad they're a lot smaller than I am irl haha.. Great pics, Advan!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..