Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:39 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:58 am
Beautiful! This reminds me of the Butterfly Sanctuary in Calloway Gardens South Georgia. I need to take the kids down there.
Thank you ! The Tiger is one of my favorite butterflies that come around in the Summer . We have on occasion had a Hummingbird Moth come in but are pretty rare and have been unable to get a picture. We have Monarch butterflies so much I fail to think about taking pictures of them , but probably will get some pics this year . Same with spiders , garage lights and landscaping attract bugs which bring in the spiders and frogs to eat .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageHere is a Tree Frog going green from being in the bush and vines by our pond next to the garage . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Two from the yard, shot with my four year old iPhone.
IMG_5067.jpeg
IMG_5094.jpeg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:24 pm
Pretty cool detail on those. The grasshopper pic is really cool.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:24 pm
Two from the yard, shot with my four year old iPhone.

IMG_5067.jpeg

IMG_5094.jpeg
Great shots ! Really impressive . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Yes, that last one is legit. Saddleback moth caterpillar.
The near bald Continental's have been replaced with fresh biscuits and no cicadas
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Beautiful shots , we have Coopers , Sharp shin , and Kestrel come in our yard . We have a Great Horned Owl that is our serial killer .
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageAt first I thought it was a leaf .
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageDowny Woodpecker driving my wife crazy drinking out of Hummingbird feeder . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like all of these pictures being posted. It seems like no interesting critters come around my yard when I want them to photograph.

🙂

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Superflex wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:04 am

Yes, that last one is legit. Saddleback moth caterpillar.
The near bald Continental's have been replaced with fresh biscuits and no cicadas
Very cool pics! Some unique bugs. And how close were you too that Hawk?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Hawk appears to be banded on right leg ? I was watching birds feed out back window of garage this afternoon after sharpening a couple knives when a Kestrel zoomed by with a mouse in its talons . They one fast bird in flight . Dan .
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:31 pm
The Hawk appears to be banded on right leg ? I was watching birds feed out back window of garage this afternoon after sharpening a couple knives when a Kestrel zoomed by with a mouse in its talons . They one fast bird in flight . Dan .
Oh you are right, it is banded. Good eye! I turned the corner on my side yard heading to the back a few years ago. There was a hawk on my fence about 10 foot away. I was caught off guard and couldn't believe it. Much larger than I would have thought. It has a blueish gray tint to the wings. It was not our common red-tail. Beautiful bird.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:48 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Oh you are right, it is banded. Good eye! I turned the corner on my side yard heading to the back a few years ago. There was a hawk on my fence about 10 foot away. I was caught off guard and couldn't believe it. Much larger than I would have thought. It has a blueish gray tint to the wings. It was not our common red-tail. Beautiful bird.
May have been a Sharp Shin Hawk . They are a bit smaller than a Cooper . Our bird feeders attract raptors because so many small birds are feeding . We watched a family of Bluebirds at one of our bird baths once and suddenly they all turned into statues . We looked around a Sharp Shin was sitting in a tree nearby . Hawks have killed birds in our main island more than once . Easy hunting with so many distracted eating seed .
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:57 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:48 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

May have been a Sharp Shin Hawk . They are a bit smaller than a Cooper . Our bird feeders attract raptors because so many small birds are feeding . We watched a family of Bluebirds at one of our bird baths once and suddenly they all turned into statues . We looked around a Sharp Shin was sitting in a tree nearby . Hawks have killed birds in our main island more than once . Easy hunting with so many distracted eating seed .
I think it was some variety of coopers hawk. It wasn't a bright blue, but like a grayish blue. The only pic I could find was a coopers hawk.

Similar to this. I found this pic online.

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageSharp Shinned Hawk .
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:19 pm
Oh my gosh! They look so similar. I have no idea what I saw. It definitely was not a red tail. Those are common here. It was very large.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I willl check my book on North American birds and what lives in Georgia. A Cooper are fairly common and Sharp Shinned is smaller and faster in flight . Both eat birds , mice , snakes , and rodent . A Redtail is the biggest Hawk here they go for larger animals.Imwas deer hunting years ago and saw a Redtail take a Pheasant and pulled him into the air but Pheasant fought him off and was able to get into heavy brush to stop the attack .It was an amazing moment in nature.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:52 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:19 pm
Oh my gosh! They look so similar. I have no idea what I saw. It definitely was not a red tail. Those are common here. It was very large.
ImageI highly recommend this book , I have the the Illinois edition along with a much more larger book on birds . This book is nice you don’t have to wade through pages and pages of different species not in your area . Books are not large so easily portable and have a short run down of each bird . Something nice you can share with the kids too they will think Dad is the smartest guy in the world . ;) Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:15 am

ImageI highly recommend this book , I have the the Illinois edition along with a much more larger book on birds . This book is nice you don’t have to wade through pages and pages of different species not in your area . Books are not large so easily portable and have a short run down of each bird . Something nice you can share with the kids too they will think Dad is the smartest guy in the world . ;) Dan
Thanks Dan! I need to check that out.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005