Would you buy a VG10 knife in 2022?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes
58%
No
17%
Maybe, if the design really caught my eye
25%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 174

vivi

Post by vivi »

Dicussing the Stretch XL some are ready to buy the VG10 first run while others plan to wait for K390 or something else more exotic.

Personally I find VG10 perfectly adequate for all my knife needs except for days I want a rust proof carry. A knife being offered in VG10 first, like the Police 4 lightweight or Stretch XL, won't discourage me at all

What about you?
:unicorn
AHarbuck

Re: Would you buy a VG10 knife in 2022?

Post by AHarbuck »

Yes, in fact I already have. Endura day glow orange.

VG10 remains more than adequate for my uses. One day I’ll try H1 PE…
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If I were new to the knife world, maybe...though I have never been a fan of a plain ole black handle. The steel likely wouldn't matter much.

But...these days I've been spoiled with all these knives and steels. VG10 is a downgrade to most I have. So I can easily say, no...I would not buy.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If I want something more stainless then my K390, I like VG-10 and SPY27. I know they don't hit high on some testing, but they give me a crisp sharp edge with little fuss. For EDC or work knife, I'll use it all day long. I carry my field sharpener in my truck. No problems with VG-10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I still like Vg 10 and carry mine when I need better corrosion resistance than K390 provides, so , my answer would be yes though it would need to offer something I will use but don't already have. That gets harder as time goes by however. I'm still waiting for a Cruwear Endura.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It wouldn't stop me, but wouldn't compel me either.

I'd be buying for the design, not to have another VG-10 knife. Though I could say that about a lot of steels. At nearly 80 knives my collection is pretty diverse. I've gotten to where when I get two or three different steels in one model, I'll give the base model to a friend that hasn't tried Spyderco yet.

A notable exception to this is the S30V Shaman, I love that knife and carry it more often then the fancy ones.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

While I prefer something a bit more interesting if given the choice, VG10 is still a good steel and I really appreciate how easy it is to sharpen. It wouldn’t hold me back from buying a knife with ergos/design/etc that I want.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I would buy a VG 10 knife in 3022. I don’t believe in steals becoming obsolete. If they work, they work.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Off the cuff I hastily said NO, and then went to Knife Steel Nerds and tried to see if that was a smart decision, and it was NOT.

I'd prefer to change my answer from NO to "Maybe, if the design really caught my eye," which I feel is a better answer for me.

On Knife Steel Nerds I found that D2, CPM 154 and 3V were in the same ballpark as VG-10 and I do not really have any bad feelings toward the other steels. Makes me question why I have a bad feeling about VG-10. Maybe I have seen designs in VG-10 I did not like.

Looking in my collection I see that 3V is my most purchased steel type in that region:
3V, 8 knives total (Bark River Knives(2), Cold Steel(2), Hinderer(1), RMJ(2), Winkler Knives(1))
154CM, 5 (Emerson(3), Benchmade(1), Boker(1))
CPM-154, 1 (Spyderco(1))
D2, 1 (KA-BAR(1))
VG10, 2 (Boker(2))

VG-10 does not have the qualities of 3V. But maybe it is closer to 154CM and CPM-154.

I'll have to go to KnifeCenter and drill down into their system to look at VG-10 knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

On the right knife? Abso-freaking-lutely! What I do miss is the older style finish they typically had, that beautiful watery mirror finish. These days, it’s just the same old grind lines. Please bring back that VG-10 polished finish Sal!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Not at 2022 MAP.

I had a long response typed out, but the more I typed the more I realized that it all boiled down to that.

I voted yes, but only because I just bought my third q-ball a few days ago.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I voted maybe, but it's really a "Yes, if I like the design". I plan to buy a Stretch 2 XL because I like the design. VG-10 is the minimum steel I'd expect for an FRN handle knife of that size and price point.

In contrast, I now own four Native 5's, three of which are lightweights, including an SE LC200N Salt: I still preordered the Magnacut Native 5 Salt because of the blade steel. If I like the VG-10 Stretch 2 XL, I'll likely buy subsequent releases in other steels.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I'm getting the Stretch XL because it seems useful and I like the design. VG10 fits the purpose I see for it as an outdoorsy knife, which should be affordable and provide a working edge without too much maintenance.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had to verify my position by checking what I have in my stable and found something of interest. I have 5 different models with VG10 steel , another 8 models which surprised me have CPMS30V steel . As I have stated I have no problem VG10 , it is a very good steel as is S30V . I am personally looking to diversify to different steels in my collection and not dissing anyone. I have the utmost respect to everyone on the Forum. Like a highly regarded Forum member recently said it doesn’t matter what others like , what matters is what you like . Respectfully Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SG89

Post by SG89 »

No, not bc of the steel itself. Mostly bc only seki uses it and I don't like any of the seki designs anymore.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:11 pm
I had to verify my position by checking what I have in my stable and found something of interest. I have 5 different models with VG10 steel , another 8 models which surprised me have CPMS30V steel . As I have stated I have no problem VG10 , it is a very good steel as is S30V . I am personally looking to diversify to different steels in my collection and not dissing anyone. I have the utmost respect to everyone on the Forum. Like a highly regarded Forum member recently said it doesn’t matter what others like , what matters is what you like . Respectfully Dan
You bring up a good point Dan. We have to remember everyone is in a different position regarding their collection. Some have been collecting for some time and want something different. And that is the cool thing about this hobby is that we come for different reasons and Spyderco is gracious enough to humor us.

I have come to the part in my evolution that I am only buying models that I will put to work, so VG-10 works great for that. Feels like it is easy to replace and I don't have to hold back. If I was at a point in my collection where I was buying interesting pieces to me like the Phoenix and Stovepipe I would probably be looking for a different steel.

So that is a cool thing. We come here for different reasons. Not bad. Just different.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Not sure what anyone could dislike about VG10. It mightn’t be the best choice for a tradesman’s knife, say cutting dry wall all day but for an everyday folder I reckon it’s a pretty sound choice.

I’d welcome VG10 in a small thin stock (1/16”) small game knife like the old Gerber Pixie.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

i first said no, but then I thought of the performance delica (when are we seeing that?), and thought yes.

I think I like VG-10 better than S30V.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For the right design, yes. I also keep a few VG-10 Delicas on hand as loaner/giveaway knives. For myself, VG-10 is OK but my collection just has many knives in steels that are much more to my liking.

For somebody who isn't a knife/steel nerd, VG-10 is still fine. If I recall it is roughly equivalent of 440C at normal knife hardness.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

SE VG-10 Stretch XL is top of my list. It’s an instabuy when available.