Mini Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Salter

Mini Caribbean?

Post by Salter »

Caribbeans came back in stock, finally. I hesitated to get one a while back so I had to wait until now, but that's fine because now they have the CQI improvements. Been using it a few weeks now and I must say, this is a phenomenal knife- fit, finish, feel, steel, everything blew me away when I got my Caribbean. Hate me if you want, but I think the scales look great. Only gripe is it's just on the verge of being a tad big to carry around in the pocket all the time, esp when you're not on the water or roughing it elsewhere and being active with it. I think a mini Caribbean that has the same qualities as the full-size but just in a smaller package would be awesome. On the same note, I'd also like to ask if anyone has ever received any flak for having/using a knife in public? Normally, if anything, I'll get a compliment on my knives, but the other day, I actually had a guy (in a restaurant of all places) freak out and start asking questions when I flicked my knife open for something. I try to keep my knives relatively discreet when I use them in public, so this was rather bizarre. Not sure if size had anything to do with it, but I'm thinking a smaller knife would be less offensive out in public?
Evil D

Re: Mini Caribbean?

Post by Evil D »

I think offense depends on the way you handle yourself, if you whip it out like a mall ninja and act like an idiot then people will judge you as such. I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about laws so I just carry what works best for my preferences and never worry about what people think.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Salter

Post by Salter »

Well, yeah, that's kinda the point of the question. The knife laws here are basically non-existent. And I never flail my knife around in a crude way, in fact I'm not even sure how the guy noticed it. I guess some people are just more sensitive to some things.
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

I usually don't flick anything in pubic. A simple two hand open is much less threatening to the uneducated masses. Some people see a flick and automatically think SWITCHBLADE!!!
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

I would love a mini Caribbean. When it came out the masses were calling for a larger version. I’m still thinking the exact opposite and would love a smaller one.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

It was probably the flick that did it, and the louder lockup because of said flick.

As for a mini Caribbean, I'm all for miniaturizing and macrotizing (?) models that could be too big or too small for some, or some situations, yet are still cool knives/and if their design allows for it. Mini Caribbean would be sweet! As would a mini Nirvana! Dragonfly XL! But if I've learned anything from being here, it's that lots of these dreams have to stay dreams, at least for a while, and production space is limited.

Not that it's a bad thing to dream! Spyderco listens very closely! At least half of what we all do here is dream up new/revised/smaller/bigger models
Matus

Post by Matus »

Apparently my first attempt for a reply failed, so here I go again …

Smaller Caribbean should be possible, but one can go only as far, because since there is no finger choil, one can not expand the grip area past the closed length. But 10 - 12 mm on the closed length should work.

Btw - the closest to what you might be after that currently exists is the Rockjumper - at least when it comes to handle shape.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
James Y

Post by James Y »

As others have mentioned, flicking a knife open may seem innocuous or discreet to us, but to people unfamiliar with knives, especially modern one-handed folders, if they see flicking, or any fast one-hand opening, and/or hear the accompanying click sound, it can make them nervous. If I needed to use a folder, especially a larger one among unfamiliar people, I would slowly open it with two hands.

As far as a smaller, or mini-Caribbean, I asked that question a couple years ago on the other Spyderco forum (on BF), and I recall Sal himself saying that there were no plans for a smaller Caribbean.

Jim
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Lil Temp 3 is pretty much a baby Caribbean, without the Salty bits.

Regardless, it's a little tank of a knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Salter wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:57 pm
. On the same note, I'd also like to ask if anyone has ever received any flak for having/using a knife in public?
Nope, not a single time. The caribbean is smaller than what I typically carry too.

Normally, if anything, I'll get a compliment on my knives, but the other day, I actually had a guy (in a restaurant of all places) freak out and start asking questions when I flicked my knife open for something. I try to keep my knives relatively discreet when I use them in public, so this was rather bizarre. Not sure if size had anything to do with it, but I'm thinking a smaller knife would be less offensive out in public?
Flicking a knife and being discreet are polar opposites.

I've used a Police in an office setting, a fully SE Pacific Salt at a 2 year olds birthday party, and a Szabo folder as a work knife. Never had any issues. I slowly open them, cut what needs cut, then put it away without making a show of it.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

abiggs wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:58 pm
I would love a mini Caribbean. When it came out the masses were calling for a larger version. I’m still thinking the exact opposite and would love a smaller one.
Sal had indicated plans to make two sizes - the current version and a larger model. That is why there was a demand for it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ahhh, yet another "make it bigger "make it smaller" thread...these just never get old :eye-roll
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:00 pm
Ahhh, yet another "make it bigger "make it smaller" thread...these just never get old :eye-roll
With how much hand size varies it's inevitable. Imagine finding the perfect shoe for your needs and they only make them in size 7, or only size 14. That's kind of how the knife world is.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:01 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
With how much hand size varies it's inevitable. Imagine finding the perfect shoe for your needs and they only make them in size 7, or only size 14. That's kind of how the knife world is.
True, but there are like 100 options out there from Spyderco in all sorts of sizes to fill everyones needs. Outside of Spyderco, the options are endless (though usually not a par haha)

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 pm
vivi wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
True, but there are like 100 options out there from Spyderco in all sorts of sizes to fill everyones needs. Outside of Spyderco, the options are endless (though usually not a par haha)
Which rust proof folder with a lockback or cbbl and 4-4.5" cutting edge do you recommend I buy, then? :winking-tongue
Last edited by vivi on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

imagine if spyderco were to operate this way...

take the two most popular knives from each factory. now, design each of them in three sizes (s 2.5", m 3-3.5", and l 4+"). now, take each of those models and offer each in four steels (salt, all-around, wear-resistant, and tool). just with these models alone, in trying to please everyone, we're looking at a minimum of 120 knife models. oh, i forgot about offering coated blades, so that doubles the number. now, think about all the designs and innovations we'd have to miss out on because each factory is only producing variations of two knives. and we think it's bad now seeing the complaints about "another pm2 variant."
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:22 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
vivi wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Which rust proof folder with a 4-4.5" cutting edge do you recommend I buy, then? :winking-tongue
you need a coast guard (military salt) or a maritime patrol (police salt).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:22 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
vivi wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Which rust proof folder with a lockback or cbbl and 4-4.5" cutting edge do you recommend I buy, then? :winking-tongue
An S30V or S90V Native Chief that you clean and take care of multiple times a day! (aka, rust proof) :discguised

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:58 pm
Salter wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:57 pm
. On the same note, I'd also like to ask if anyone has ever received any flak for having/using a knife in public?
Nope, not a single time. The caribbean is smaller than what I typically carry too.

Normally, if anything, I'll get a compliment on my knives, but the other day, I actually had a guy (in a restaurant of all places) freak out and start asking questions when I flicked my knife open for something. I try to keep my knives relatively discreet when I use them in public, so this was rather bizarre. Not sure if size had anything to do with it, but I'm thinking a smaller knife would be less offensive out in public?
Flicking a knife and being discreet are polar opposites.

I've used a Police in an office setting, a fully SE Pacific Salt at a 2 year olds birthday party, and a Szabo folder as a work knife. Never had any issues. I slowly open them, cut what needs cut, then put it away without making a show of it.

This has been my general experience, too. I used knives of all sizes at the place I worked at for 13 years, where nobody else was a knife person, and not once did anybody freak out or get nervous, because I was very discreet about it. I carried knives up to Police and Military sizes. Everybody knew I carried knives and regularly saw me cutting open boxes, plastic strapping, etc. But nobody was bothered by it. Then again, I never flicked them open in front of them, either. I just brought them out, opened them slowly, used them, and put them away, without making a big deal out of it. So they never made a big deal out of it, either. And the two bosses knew about my knives and never gave it a second thought.

However, I have met a couple guys over the years who say they’ll flick their knives open (sometimes even dramatically) anywhere they want, and they won’t change for anybody. And if people don’t like it, or if it makes them nervous, then too bad. Then they wonder why some people get nervous when they see them flicking their knives open. I am NOT saying this was the case with OP; I am saying there are militant knife people like that, that give the rest a bad image.

Jim
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:39 pm
Apparently my first attempt for a reply failed, so here I go again …

Smaller Caribbean should be possible, but one can go only as far, because since there is no finger choil, one can not expand the grip area past the closed length. But 10 - 12 mm on the closed length should work.

Btw - the closest to what you might be after that currently exists is the Rockjumper - at least when it comes to handle shape.
I respectfully disagree.
Hand sizes varies greatly, and with the no-choil, salty compression lock construction, the Caribbean offers something quite unique in the Spyderco lineup. The suggestion of a smaller Caribbean can't really be dismissed with the usual; Spyderco has something for everyone.

I'm not as much into compression locks as I once was, so a smaller Caribbean isn't a hill I'm willing to die on, but if it became a reality, it would be impossible to resist a salt knife with that kind of edge to handle ratio in a smaller package. Impossible.

Small capable knives are becoming more popular, so there is a business opportunity here, it's not just about pleasing a few whining voices. E.g. Benchmade has been on a miniaturization spree the last couple of years. And it's working, they seem to be very popular. I really like the smaller models from BM myself, except they have axis lock and they don't have opening holes. And they're not salt.

Besides a lot of users actually having smaller hands, I think the concept of smaller, less scary knives is appealing to a lot of the newer segment of the knife market, those that might want to sacrifice some grip comfort to have something they are more likely to carry and and use in their modern circumstances with less demanding knife tasks- and more Karen's in their lives.

Depending on handle shape, I can personally get a full four finger grip on handles in the 3.25 to 4" range, so even if they keep the hook, I wouldn't want a possible mini-Caribbean to have a closed length exceeding 4", that way it would really offer something different and appeal to a whole new crowd.
Though I don't mind the OG's bumblebee colorway myself, a more subdued colorway could probably expand the reach of a mini even further.

Want to reach even further than that? Make the mini in Golden, with Magnacut, and you have the new P3 :winking-tongue