I wish they would bring back.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jerome Howard

I wish they would bring back.....

Post by Jerome Howard »

I'm sure this has been done before, but I sure wish they would bring back this one, The Dyad. I used and abused mine, and it never failed me. Until I dropped it overboard.

Anyone else miss this knife?

Airlsee

Re: I wish they would bring back.....

Post by Airlsee »

I never had one, but there is a lot of love for the Dyad around here.
So it goes.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I found a couple on eBay that look to be in nice condition.
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

I'd like to see it with some fancy steel. That would be cool.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageSpydercomcan make another run anytime they want and I would buy one . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageActually was one of the first Spyderco knives that dominated my pocket for a long time . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Me too.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd like to see a return, but being a heretic, I'd like to see a more robust tip on the PE blade. I know, I know, I can see the torches being lit already...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Outdoor love

Post by Outdoor love »

This is such a nice piece
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 am
I'd like to see a return, but being a heretic, I'd like to see a more robust tip on the PE blade. I know, I know, I can see the torches being lit already...
I actually agree with you on that idea . The PE tip may be sweet looking but care absolutely must be taken ,it will not tolerate a lot of lateral abuse . The Se side works well for me and saves the PE for lighter use . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:46 pm
I'm sure this has been done before, but I sure wish they would bring back this one, The Dyad. I used and abused mine, and it never failed me. Until I dropped it overboard.

Anyone else miss this knife?

I'd probably just stick with my left handed one (thanks Jack!), but I'm sure there are those here who miss the Dyad and would jump at the chance to get one. In the mean time, there's always eBay.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Love the original, never bought the Sprint with the extra weight and thickness of liners. Love the splinter picker tip on the PE with the serrated sheepsfoot for an emergency pry tool. Not overjoyed with the ATS-55 steel, at least in the plain edge although it works well for me in serrated. I found it amusing on my visits to the SFO how few of the Spydercrew had ever seen an original before I pulled mine out.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:55 am
Love the original, never bought the Sprint with the extra weight and thickness of liners. Love the splinter picker tip on the PE with the serrated sheepsfoot for an emergency pry tool. Not overjoyed with the ATS-55 steel, at least in the plain edge although it works well for me in serrated. I found it amusing on my visits to the SFO how few of the Spydercrew had ever seen an original before I pulled mine out.
I'm beginning to think that you have more complete collection than Spyderco has of their own knives.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Probably not true. There are some noticeable gaps in my collection, especially where collaborations are concerned. But I do have a bunch of them.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m pleased to say I now have my first ever Dyad—a lightly-used 2000-2001 ATS-55 micarta version—headed my way.

Ordinarily, I avoid upswept spines, but I can’t imagine how a Dyad would work otherwise. And, because the model is odd and I like odd, I just had to feed my beckoning pile of odd Spydies.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I have a mini dyad in ats55 as well. I'd love to see a new version of the full size Dyad released. Any configuration is fine by me.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:49 am
I’m pleased to say I now have my first ever Dyad—a lightly-used 2000-2001 ATS-55 micarta version—headed my way.

Ordinarily, I avoid upswept spines, but I can’t imagine how a Dyad would work otherwise. And, because the model is odd and I like odd, I just had to feed my beckoning pile of odd Spydies.
Congrats to you guys finding some Dyads . Hope you share some pics in the future . Enjoyment! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I'd love a Dyad revival - but using the original linerless Micarta handle design. The G10 + liners sprint was a lot heavier, bulkier, and for some reason the blades sat further out of the handle when closed. Didn't feel anywhere near as elegant or refined. I was pretty disappointed by it compared to the original.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

yowzer wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:19 pm
I'd love a Dyad revival - but using the original linerless Micarta handle design. The G10 + liners sprint was a lot heavier, bulkier, and for some reason the blades sat further out of the handle when closed. Didn't feel anywhere near as elegant or refined. I was pretty disappointed by it compared to the original.
That’s my take on the G10 too . Friend has one which I have handled on a few occasions and felt it was a bit overkill. I did like the clip options . MG2.
Henry David Thoreau
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:19 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:49 am

Congrats to you guys finding some Dyads . Hope you share some pics in the future . Enjoyment! MG2
Well, this thing is genius. I’d certainly like to hear more from Sal about the Salt version he mentioned decades ago, and more recently, now that FRN has proved itself and MagnaCut shows such promise.
My specimen’s PE blade, which is Chaparral-thin but longer, is both slightly off-center and slightly warped. The blade does not rub, and given all else this knife offers, I’m accepting of its flaws.
The lock work is fascinating. I know Sal has talked about compression locks on a Dyad2, but I sure like these midlocks, even though they can never be ambidextrous in this context.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”