Black coating came out after 1st wash and never came back

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PizzaParty

Black coating came out after 1st wash and never came back

Post by PizzaParty »

I got a Para Military 2 and immediately took a picture. First picture in link.

I then cleaned it with hand soap, warm water and a sponge. Second picture in link.

https://imgur.com/a/PI44kil

I was really bummed out. I asked around and was told oil would bring back the color. I tried HOPPE'S No. 9 Lubricating Oil. It did help but it's still much closer to the second picture.

1. Is it normal for coating to come out so easily like that ?
  2. Is there anything I can do to help bring it back closer to original ?
yablanowitz

Re: Black coating came out after 1st wash and never came back

Post by yablanowitz »

Soak it in WD-40. Sal posted somewhere that was how they did it "back in the day". Your soap and water bath probably washed the oil off.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's just dry, lube it with almost any kind of oil and it will darken back up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

Don't worry, it is just optical, you can't wash away DLC.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just use some mineral oil, food safe as well if you use it to cut food. It will quickly bring back the darker color/shine.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Some hand soap will leave a residue. You can try to use dish soap or even something like Barkeeper's Friend. Just make sure to oil it after cleaning and drying.

Welcome aboard.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

you'd have to use a very abrasive sponge and lots of pressure to remove dlc. just looks cloudy to me from soap residue. hot water rinse might be enough to clean it up, if mot the suggestion others had to apply some oil should do the trick. Or just carry it and over time it'll self correct.
:unicorn
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Yeah I'm going to echo what other people have said here: this looks like residue stuck in the micro-texture of the DLC. I would maybe try rinsing it more under *very* hot water and then applying oil to the blade.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

DLC worries apart, I hope you're enjoying your new knife :smiling-cheeks
Salter

Post by Salter »

IMO, knives are supposed to be used and accumulate wear, scratches, and battle scars. It's not going to stay perfect forever unless you don't use it. Personally I think rugged knives like the PM2 look better when they've got some wear. It always stings when you use your brand-new high-dollar knife for the first time and you get a big ol' scratch on it or something, but that's what makes the knife yours. But like others have said, try using some oil and try rubbing it into the DLC. Good luck.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Salter wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:25 pm
IMO, knives are supposed to be used and accumulate wear, scratches, and battle scars. It's not going to stay perfect forever unless you don't use it. Personally I think rugged knives like the PM2 look better when they've got some wear. It always stings when you use your brand-new high-dollar knife for the first time and you get a big ol' scratch on it or something, but that's what makes the knife yours. But like others have said, try using some oil and try rubbing it into the DLC. Good luck.
I agree 100%, but spydies DLC isn't very prone to wear. I used and abused a PM2 for 5 years and the DLC looked great.

:unicorn
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Mineral oil is your friend
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome PizzaParty! Just another FYI....DLC will also pick up marks from the material you're cutting. You might think it's scratched but it's not. Use a little Flitz or Blue Magic metal polish on the DLC and it'll remove those marks and even the finish out. Again a little oil helps but the DLC will soak it up

Enjoy that PM2. It should serve you well for a long time
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

Wenol, Simichrome polish, Mother's Mag Wheel polish will clean it right up.

I thought that my DLC PM2 20CV blade was scarred from some less than gentle use. and assumed that was that. A couple of weeks later I decided to do a little maintenance on it and a couple others that needed a touch up.

I ran it across the Sharpmaker, took it apart, cleaned and oiled it up along with the others. Before re-assembly I had used Wenol metal polish on the non-coated blades, they looked new maybe better than new. I figured the Wenol might buff part of the scuffing off the DLC blade so why not give it a shot? As it turned out there was no scuffing, it was material transferred to the blade. The metal polish removed the "scuff" and made the DLC have a smooth even satin like finish. It's not as glossy as an oil wipe finish which I like better anyway.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
Revival

Post by Revival »

Let it drink some mineral oil.