Playing favorites

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Playing favorites

Post by vivi »

Something I've been thinking about a lot lately is which Spyderco I'd consider my #1 these days.

My first favorite was an S60V single liner Military. Amazing weight to size ratio and perfectly sized for my hands.

After buying a Police 3, it was a close call between them, I went back and forth for years. Then the Police 4 matched the lighter weight of the Military, which tipped the scales in favor of the Police.

The C95 & Manix XL was always a contender. Loved the blade and the ergonomics, but being heavier and wider closed it was never as EDC friendly.

The Pacific Salt eventually got the nod, fighting an uphill battle. It didn't feel as nice overall, the ergonomics weren't as good as the Millie / Police, and it's kinda small (to me), but the combination of being very light and totally rust proof made me prefer it for EDC.

These days the Chief has made me a lot less inclined to carry the Police, Military or Manix, which for about a decade were my top 3.

The upcoming Stretch XL looks like it could steal the show. If they make a salt run I'm pretty confident that would be my new number 1.

Gun to my head, I'd say the Chief is my favorite design at the moment, while the Pacific Salt is my favorite EDC.

What about you?
:unicorn
JRinFL

Re: Playing favorites

Post by JRinFL »

PITS, despite not having my favorite steel, nor is it locking. Right now it is way out ahead.

Most used for "real" work? Wow, a surprise to me, but it is the Salt 1 in the old design and it's missing a clip to boot.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

regardless of how many i end up with, i think my favorite will alway be a pairing of the manix and a pacific salt in se h1. if i had to get rid of everything else, i'd be sad to see them go, but i'd be more than fine with just these two.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

If I had to get rid of every Spyderco folder I have, the Mantra 1 would probably be the last man standing...

Runners up: Native 5 S90V Fluted CF, Advocate, Swayback

Favorite stand-alone design: Ikuchi
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, it's tough. The three in my signature are clearly my most-carried.

If I had to pick just one of them to carry for the rest of my life, I'd probably pick the Stretch.

If Spyderco came out with a factory Crucarta version, it'd definitely be the Stretch.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m pretty boring as my favorites have remained the same for years now.

My favorite design is, without a doubt, the PPT Perrin.

My favorite EDC is the Lil Native.
-Nick :bug-red
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Love the ergos of the Shaman. I haven't tried every model, but the contoured scales are a huge plus to me, the blade length is just right, the leaf shape is my top choice, comp lock works well for my uses, and I can deal with the weight of liner backed G10 construction just fine to get that extra sturdiness. Plus it's been available in a range of my favorite steels. It does everything just right for a work knife for me. Now my choice for an out of work carry would be different...
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry Vivi,

I just can't do it. :hot-face

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm
Sorry Vivi,

sal
Given that all my favorites seem to be designed by you, I often wonder what you like best between the Police 4, Military, Chief, Stretch XL etc.

It's a tough call :rofl
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gun to my head it would have to be my Autonomy.

Would be even better with this slightly different blade shape so it's a bit more stabby.

It's probably just a case of familiarity. I carry this knife everyday at work, 60 hours a week so it has become so second nature and I feel so confident with what it can do. Besides wishing for that blade shape variant, it really is the last knife I'd ever need, and every other purchase would just be for curiosity and fun.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

During the past 5 years my tastes have definitely changed. Originally I was a diehard Para 3 guy. I still like the model (G10 only) but have come to enjoy knives that are a little larger. Though the HH UKPK is also a small knife in my opinion, that would be my go to smaller knife if I could only have one.

The Manix is probably still my favorite Spyderco (maybe until I get that KW Exclusive Military in my hands next week!!)

I could probably sell all my Spyderco's and only keep my UKPK, a Shaman, Manix and Native Chief and be ok. I've got a few of each...so breaking those down to only 1 of each, or 1 total in general...virtually impossible! I can't think that hard right now haha.

Gun to my head...I'd probably keep my Rex45 Manix with the grooved micarta scales. Gunman would need to remain patient though because I may him and haw for a few minutes :thinking
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm
Sorry Vivi,

sal
Yeah :grin-squint seems the regular posters want H1 in everything , lots of stainless steel that is ignored sitting in the que
And yes we know they have muriatic acidity sweat ;)

Rocking the v-toku2 stretch 2 , endura 4 vg10, G2 clipit delica
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

EDC-wise, my two spy-27s are currently getting my nod, as I really just can't get enough of throwing it on the white corners for more practice/wonderment. Definite teacher's pet right now.

As for design, nothing quite fits in my hand as well as a PM2, I just rarely carry one. Would be great to feel the Stretch SS, and I do well imagine the PM2 LW will be a great one for me.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Even if I recently discovered and experienced models that are more performant (for me), the Native 5 in it's LW form is my favorite.

I just can't get over that sweet curve from butt to tip...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I've kinda stopped carrying anything else since I got my S90V Para 3 LW. I honestly should try to sell a bunch of my other knives.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I can’t help thinking that there are more favorite Spydercos of mine waiting for me in the future. Also - there are several that I expected to become my favorites just to be sold a few weeks or months later (regrettably GB1 and GB2 were among them)

If I would have to pick one, then it would be the k390 PM2 with RGT burlap scales (a bit too smooth, I will probably roughen them up a bit) as it is so smooth, cool looking and very utilitarian at the same time.

But I must also mention the Schempp Bowie as it is just such a cool, intriguing yet very usable knife. I love to carry it outdoors and around food prep when outside.

And an absolute gem of a design - the Urban. Not only I love the looks (k390 version - the blade is very elegant), but the ergonomics is perfect. It is not perfect, some F&F could be better, but I can’t complain about materials. The FRN texture is the best I have to sed so far. And I know it will remain a dream, but I would love to be able to get one with a compression lock and probably ball bearings (the blade is quite lightweight).

Knives that I am hoping to get my hands on in the future are Siren (after CQI), Stretch (also XL), salty UKPK (hopefully soon). I also really hope to see some of the long discontinued wonderful weird designs reintroduced as sprints or exclusives - or of course some brand new ones, ideally made in Taichung :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I started my Spyderco journey with the maxamet N5 LW (just a short 4-5 years ago.) N5 my favorite edc platform, I like that the N5 LW comes in so much variety from the factory. N5 all the way.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
vivi

Post by vivi »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 pm
I started my Spyderco journey with the maxamet N5 LW (just a short 4-5 years ago.) N5 my favorite edc platform, I like that the N5 LW comes in so much variety from the factory. N5 all the way.
It's always nice when a favorite gets a healthy variety of runs! Hard to beat the variety the Native gets run in.

Have you tried any of the other sizes in the Native family?
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:28 pm
Gun to my head it would have to be my Autonomy.

Would be even better with this slightly different blade shape so it's a bit more stabby.

It's probably just a case of familiarity. I carry this knife everyday at work, 60 hours a week so it has become so second nature and I feel so confident with what it can do. Besides wishing for that blade shape variant, it really is the last knife I'd ever need, and every other purchase would just be for curiosity and fun.
ever consider hunting down a second autonomy and modding it? you could get about 90% there by taking a stock one to a sander I'd imagine. You could get that tip shape I believe, but you'd have to sacrifice a couple mm cutting edge.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I guess I have to be a big smarty pants and say whatever is in my pocket. I rotate obsessively , but must say a week going on 23 more days the Pacific Salt H1 PE has without a doubt has impressed me beyond expectations . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

These days my favorite all-around design and build is the Military, but the H1 Pac Salt 2 SE is what I’ll rock for anything work or outdoors related. I rotate through the Chap and the Sage 5 LW for other EDC duties.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N