webfoot v golden stone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

webfoot v golden stone

Post by sethwm »

When would I use the webfoot versus the golden stone? is the webfoot more like the coarser grit sharpmaker, and the golden stone like the finer grit?
Vaugith

Re: webfoot v golden stone

Post by Vaugith »

The webfoot is going to be coated CBN abrasive, estimated 320 grit JIS. The goldenstone is spydercos fine ceramic abrasive, estimated 2500 grit JIS. In my experience, the webfoot would be best for reprofiling or repairs, the goldenstone for touching up via microbeveling.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I think the Webfoot will be a great complement to the Goldenstone.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'll be curious to see how it compares to the old Byrd Duckfoot. I expect it to be similar to the diamond and CBN rods for the SharpMaker.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:12 pm
When would I use the webfoot versus the golden stone? is the webfoot more like the coarser grit sharpmaker, and the golden stone like the finer grit?
It’s like a coarser version of the Golden Stone.

According to the reveal, the Webfoot Sharpener will be sold as a kit with the Golden Stone and sold separately. They should pair well together.
-Nick :bug-red
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have a Duckfoot. Super handy!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m actually really interested in this new sharpener. I don’t think these get enough discussion or talk for what they’re worth.

Flat stones are great for leveling up your skills and sharpening to the most desirable edge, the sharp maker is a great alternative to that style plus added usefulness (serrations are easy, for example), and the Webfoot/Golden Stones sort of combine those two into a pretty portable object.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I just found a Bladeforums thread from 2013 discussing the Byrd Duckfoot where Sal mentions the long term plan was to introduce it as a Spyderco product that’ll pair with the GoldenStone.
It was a diamond abrasive, but I bet that’s what the Webfoot evolved from (I really like the old dinosaur branding that Byrd products had lol).

Having all three would make a nice ceramic, cbn, and diamond set.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I will be ALL IN on a webfoot. It will allow for a rapid re-profile and do a toothy edge quickly too. Sal is an absolute genius with the design. The Golden Stone is my Go To and I own 1 or 2 of all their stones. Seriously it is a 1 piece sharpmaker essentially.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you could only choose one, and intended to use it for portable field sharpening, I'd go with the Webfoot because it'll be much more effective at fixing edge damage and will be faster and will sharpen wear resistant steels much better. You may find that you get sharper/finer edges from the Goldenstone though, but it isn't nearly aggressive enough to remove chips from your edge. The Goldenstone will also be a good bit heavier if weight matters, backpacking for example.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

The golden stone is amazing for daily touch ups.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

I recently picked up a double stuff 2 - one side is (presumably) the same CBN as the webfoot, and the other side is the same ceramic as the goldenstone. I haven't had a whole lot of experience with it yet but at first try it seems like it's a fairly large grit jump and I might have preferred the fine side to be a medium, but it's doable on easier to grind steels.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've had the esteemed privilege of being able to test drive a "medium" grit GOLDENSTONE. I've been limited because of my shoulder injury I had but so far it's been a really nice sharpening tool to experiment with. I'm looking so forward to the webfoot and I'm also holding out hope that there will be an ULtra-FIne version of the GOLDENSTONE at some point.

The GOLDENSTONE is just one more genius sharpening tool that Spyderco has blessed us with. What other knife company has given us such great sharpening tools?
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

If I could also get a medium and extra fine in the webfoot I would buy all of them including the new CBN.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think that the webfoot combined with the original double stuff would be an effective combo for me.

What I really want is a double stuff with CBN/medium. Until then the Falkniven DC4 is my go to travel stone.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
olywa

Post by olywa »

Anyone know if the base for the web foot also fits the Golden Stone?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't know. The one I made for my Duckfoot didn't fit the Goldenstone without modification. As I recall, the ceramic stone is a bit thicker ans a lilttle narrower at the large end.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Any ideas about when this should become available for purchase?

Also, I've also seen mentions of it being offered in conjunction with the Golden Stone, do we have any info on that kit?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DrHE wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:08 am
If I could also get a medium and extra fine in the webfoot I would buy all of them including the new CBN.
The concept of the Goldenstone/Duckfoot sharpening system was just one more genius invention of Mr. Sal Glesser. The more I play with those Goldenstones and my older Duckfoot the more I also want a complete system of Goldenstones with a variety of grits to make it a more complete sharpening system.

Not at all saying anything disparaging about the brilliant 204 Sharpmaker>> they are both different tools with the same objective. Yes there is more than one way to put a wicked edge on your favorite blade.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

"The Webfoot (308CBN) is sold separately or as a kit with the Golden Stone fine ceramic sharpener"

Can anyone tell me what grit these two devices are? Thinking of using them to sharpen the Spyderco Province in 4V, a Chris Reeve Green Beret in S35VN, or maybe some 1095 in the field.

Are they both for sale anywhere yet?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/