2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike G

Re: 2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Post by Mike G »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:19 pm
I’m pretty sure holding it at SHOT show and watching video reviews isn’t going to help one bit in determining its pocketability. The horn slips fully into the crevice of your pocket along the seam, and the knife takes up no more room in my non-tiny pockets than a Para 3 does and my large hands have zero issue retrieving it. The clip is also very well-designed and functions great. Thanks for your insights though.
Well I did see how it fit into my pocket at shot show so…
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Danke wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:10 pm
Sure is a love hate knife. All I find weird is the amount of hyperbole & negative energy people want to put out over a knife they claim they don't want.

I am going to suggest a marketing test. Change the price of these to $50 and make all the other knives more expensive to balance the books.
It’s a new design, something unusual from Spyderco’s typical production line. A superb designer, etc. People like to give an opinion. I’d hate to live in a world where the only opinions allowed are the ones that don’t contain anything that might offend those that like it. There’s a lot to admire about the knife, I said as much, there’s also some questionable features that I’m sure I’m not alone in noticing. Every knife in my collection, I’ve read positive and negative reviews of and appreciated the different perspectives. Odd that a few people seem kinda sensitive about such things.
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

If i described in the shortest way possible.

Opened it looks amazing. Closed it looks confusing
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Fair enough!
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

To those that disagree with my opinion that it is not very good in pocket to carry, post a pic and prove me wrong. LOL. Better yet, post a video compared to say a PM2 or Para 3 or any other Spydie of your choosing.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Nah, no need to a confrontation. This is a polarizing design. Those who love it will gladly accept the possible deficiencies in ease of carry. Obviously this is going to be a bit of a pocket pecker. I am in the camp of people who do not have the chemistry with this design, but I can only imagine how smooth and well made it must be and how nice to operate. The handle does not look like something optimal for a prolonged use - but VERY few pocket knives would fall in that category. This is a piece of functional, industrial art. I admire it for that.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm beginning to wonder why someone who just joined the forum a week ago is spending so much energy putting this design down... More than half the posts so far pointing out how much they dislike the model. We got it, you don't like it, and you're not going to buy it.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Danke

Post by Danke »

Mike G wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:46 pm
Danke wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:10 pm
Sure is a love hate knife. All I find weird is the amount of hyperbole & negative energy people want to put out over a knife they claim they don't want.

I am going to suggest a marketing test. Change the price of these to $50 and make all the other knives more expensive to balance the books.
It’s a new design, something unusual from Spyderco’s typical production line. A superb designer, etc. People like to give an opinion. I’d hate to live in a world where the only opinions allowed are the ones that don’t contain anything that might offend those that like it. There’s a lot to admire about the knife, I said as much, there’s also some questionable features that I’m sure I’m not alone in noticing. Every knife in my collection, I’ve read positive and negative reviews of and appreciated the different perspectives. Odd that a few people seem kinda sensitive about such things.
Part of me firmly resides in the world of "if you can't say something nice" but a much larger part of me resides in the survival ethos of "why use up all my resources on hating something I don't want"; more than half the new releases don't interest me but I don't loose sleep over how wrong they are.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Also before I forget this is the most awful awful knife ever made and I hate it and no one will ever change my mind about this!

Unless it was say $50? Couldn't hurt to lower the price a lot and see if I change my mind. Ain't no river so long it doesn't have a bend.

I'm not made of stone; c'mon $50 just to see how it feels.
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:06 am
I'm beginning to wonder why someone who just joined the forum a week ago is spending so much energy putting this design down... More than half the posts so far pointing out how much they dislike the model. We got it, you don't like it, and you're not going to buy it.
Because I only recently started adding spyderco knives to my collection which is now up to 6. You’re such a fanboy of this knife, why don’t you show us how great it is in pocket rather than complain about me with the opinion that it isn’t. It’s like the saying goes. Put up or shut up.

And as I’ve said before, I am intrigued by the design, certainly a great designer that made it. But flat head screwdriver top of the end of the blade is effing ridiculous in my opinion. It just makes no sense to me. Unless it also comes in a Phillips head or better yet a swappable torx head so you can use it to maintain your other knives. Now that might be worth the asking price.

Or better yet, something like this modification…
5F94B1D0-C547-496E-8612-A1F539177C2A.jpg
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

I will say that the stovepipe did make me take a look at the desinger's website and develop an appreciation for his style to a certain degree. I saw a few on their website I'd consider buying actually at prices far higher than this one.

For example...

https://kingdom-armory.myshopify.com/co ... er-edition
RadioactiveSpyder

Charming. Here's a pic of the Stovepipe in my pocket. As I said earlier, the horn slides right into the seam along the crease of my pants, and the knife takes up no more room in my pocket than any other Spyderco of similar size (Para 3-sized). The clip sits in the same position as all my other clips. (These are a newish pair of jeans, so I haven’t torn the pocket completely apart yet.)

Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:42 am
This is a beautiful pic! Very unique design. This should have been the promo pic.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 pm
Charming. Here's a pic of the Stovepipe in my pocket. As I said earlier, the horn slides right into the seam along the crease of my pants, and the knife takes up no more room in my pocket than any other Spyderco of similar size (Para 3-sized). The clip sits in the same position as all my other clips. (These are a newish pair of jeans, so I have torn the pocket completely apart yet.)

compared to a PM2, at least for me, it sits further out in the pocket as this picture proves. So pocketable? I guess. Enjoy your precious.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

KSF sent an email alert around 5am my time that these were in stock. Of course they were all gone by the time I woke up. Hopefully there will be a restock before December. I'd hate to think about how much these will cost in 2023.
RadioactiveSpyder

Five in stock at EDC Gearhouse/Way of Knife:

https://www.wayofknife.com/spyderco-sto ... onewashed/

Gone…
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

This would have been my choice for the collaboration with the designer.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mike G wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:01 am
This would have been my choice for the collaboration with the designer.

Me too. Maybe it will be next.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

For those that want one of these (lol) Mr. Knife Guy has them available now.
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

BlackScythe wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:05 am
If I worked in a warehouse cutting boxes all day, this is the type of knife I'd opt to use to show off and flex to all of my coworkers who were using cheap, flimsy plastic box cutters.

That said, does anyone have any leads for vacant warehouse openings in their area? lol
LOL at $420 all your coworkers will assume you sell a little something something on the side or married rich.