Would you purchase a Spyderco Kitchen Knife in LC200N?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

No, not interested in kitchen knives in LC200N
40%
No, but only because it isn't worth rebuying the knife for the upgraded steel.
2%
Yes, at current prices.
26%
Yes, at up to 25% price increase
14%
Yes, at up to 50% price increase
4%
Yes, at up to 75% price increase
No votes
Yes, at up to double current prices.
14%

Total votes: 50

Kale

Post by Kale »

Spyderco has done a lot to popularize LC200N for outdoor and even EDC use. My serrated Pacific Salt has also become a favorite utility knife in the kitchen. But it occurred to me that a chopper in LC200N would be especially nice as well. Low maintenance, super tough (significantly tougher than Magnacut, according to the guy who invented Magnacut). It would also have better edge retention than most kitchen knives out there. Aside from high end Japanese knives in R2/SG2, it's not common to see high-performance stainless in kitchen knives. I think Spyderco would REALLY be upping the bar by releasing kitchen knives in LC200N.

The poll is to demonstrate potential interest, or not... The Spyderco Santoku currently goes for just over $80 in MBS-26, a steel whose performance has been compared with VG-10.
Eli Chaps

Re: Would you purchase a Spyderco Kitchen Knife in LC200N?

Post by Eli Chaps »

No. For me, in a kitchen knife, LC200N is a major backslide in most every way. I'm not sure it would be that much more impressive than the widespread Krupp steels of the most common German brands.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Also, what do you mean by the term "chopper"?
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I would, and at a price increase as well. I really like LC200N and knowing you couldn’t rust the suckers would be worth it to me.
Kale

Post by Kale »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:18 pm
A knife you'd use to chop veggies on a cutting board, like a chef's knife, santoku, etc. In what way would LC200N be bad for a kitchen knife?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Kale wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:00 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:18 pm
A knife you'd use to chop veggies on a cutting board, like a chef's knife, santoku, etc. In what way would LC200N be bad for a kitchen knife?
Okay, so a general purpose knife of your desired style then. Cool.

I didn't say it would be bad. But it would absolutely be inferior to what I use. That's not meant to come off as arrogant at all, but you asked if we (meaning each of us as an individual) would buy one and I'm sharing my opinion. If I remember correctly, Spyderco is running LC200N sub-60HRC so what is it bringing to the kitchen knife table?

LC200N's claim to fame is extreme stain resistance with improved edge retention over H1. The prolifically used Krupp steels offer plenty of stain resistance for most everyone and if nothing else, they are tough.

What kind of geometry do you think LC200N could hold? I have no first hand experience with it.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have a whole set in LC200N aka Cronidur 30 by Zwilling. Been using the chef knife now for over a decade. love them. The whole set will set you back 3k so Spyderco prices would be a bargain. Zwilling runs theirs at max hardness.
My knives have never chipped. I usually just tune the edge with a few k grit stone or strop. I hate how the super thin and hard Shun knives chip. The toughness of LC200N is amazing. I want one in a large camp knife that can be impervious to the elements and be a tough knife that can take the abuse of batoning.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Kale wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:00 pm
In what way would LC200N be bad for a kitchen knife?
It’s not the best steel. It’s the best rust-proof steel.

I have zero issues with knives rusting in the kitchen. Why would I choose LC200N, let alone pay more for it?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling/cutlery/twin-1731/

Why would Zwilling sell sets of kitchen knives for over $3,000 if they were crap? Maybe quantity and give examples for your assertion. Mine have never chipped and have good edge stability with easy tune ups for over a decade and I cook a lot. Not just family meals. High hardness is great under the right circumstances but I don’t think so for every day use in the kitchen with a family that may use them as well.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:27 pm

Why would Zwilling sell sets of kitchen knives for over $3,000 if they were crap? Maybe quantity and give examples for your assertion. Mine have never chipped and have good edge stability with easy tune ups for over a decade and I cook a lot. Not just family meals. High hardness is great under the right circumstances but I don’t think so for every day use in the kitchen with a family that may use them as well.
If you're happy with your knives, that's cool but in no way does that legitimize their superiority. First, most avid kitchen knife enthusiasts don't buy sets. They generally build a collection based on tasks as different makers can produce a knife great at one thing but not as good at others.

Block sets are, well, most often seen as a waste of money. You're also paying a premium for the Kramer name and the idea of a superior steel.

Further, those knives, in my opinion and for my tastes, have terrible profiles and are undoubtedly handle heavy. Although I don't know, but I suspect they also have thick grinds. That's just the Soligen way. I may be wrong.

I don't see where they state the HRC of the steel so I'm going to assume it is sub-60. So, how then, is that better than the prolifically used Krupp steels?

Why do those of us who don't think it would be a better steel have to support our assertions? Why don't you give examples of why LC200N would be a better steel than what is out there and why it is superior to high-hardness steels in the kitchen? The price of your set is not supporting evidence. High hardness steels support superior geometry and geometry cuts. For several reasons, Shun are controversial and a poor example of why high hardness steels make bad daily drivers.

I think a case could be made that high hardness steels are more appropriate in the average kitchen than in the average pocket.

LC200N may be a perfectly fine kitchen steel but I'm not seeing how it would be superior.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:43 pm
Fireman wrote:

If you're happy with your knives, that's cool but in no way does that legitimize their superiority. First, most avid kitchen knife enthusiasts don't buy sets. They generally build a collection based on tasks as different makers can produce a knife great at one thing but not as good at others.
Block sets are, well, most often seen as a waste of money. You're also paying a premium for the Kramer name and the idea of a superior steel.

Further, those knives, in my opinion and for my tastes, have terrible profiles and are undoubtedly handle heavy. Although I don't know, but I suspect they also have thick grinds. That's just the Soligen way. I may be wrong.

I don't see where they state the HRC of the steel so I'm going to assume it is sub-60. So, how then, is that better than the prolifically used Krupp steels?

Why do those of us who don't think it would be a better steel have to support our assertions? Why don't you give examples of why LC200N would be a better steel than what is out there and why it is superior to high-hardness steels in the kitchen? The price of your set is not supporting evidence. High hardness steels support superior geometry and geometry cuts. For several reasons, Shun are controversial and a poor example of why high hardness steels make bad daily drivers.

I think a case could be made that high hardness steels are more appropriate in the average kitchen than in the average pocket.

LC200N may be a perfectly fine kitchen steel but I'm not seeing how it would be superior.
I want to start by saying that everyone has their own parameters, uses, likes and needs and that I am posting in good faith and to share information and not get in a contest or to be snarky but to be a positive part of this community. I am very happy with mine. I fell in love with my first one over a decade ago when I bought just the 8”chef knife. The ergonomics are superb especially in my preferred pinch grip on the bolster. The design is part of the cost but it is an amazing design by a well known person. The materials are exactly what I wanted. Mine are the earlier version using linen micarta handles. I have always bought knives individually or had custom made kitchen knives including my own design. I was shopping to get the matching pairing knife after the youngest boy ruined one by cooking without permission by himself and melted the handle on the stove (a different make) when I came across a whole set. I bought it because they are hard to find and I got a good deal because they lost the block at the William Sonoma store and had a sale. I not only got my paring knife but an extra chef knife for work and a few others as a bonus. Win win win for me. I too dislike the normal German style knives. These knives are not too thick behind the edge, are perfect balance and are an extension of my hand with great ergos. I use the pinch grip a lot and these knives are perfect for that. If you do catering style cooking with lots of vegetable processing having great ergos get more important. As to LC200N, The obvious is the corrosion resistance and toughness with good edge retention without chipping. I hate chipping . the edge in my use has proven great ability to take use and wear well but tunes up so easily. I like high hardness knives too but as a more specialty use than a do all chef knife. They max out the hardness and here is the info from the website. Hardness is 60 hrc. and the edge geometry is great.

TWIN 1731 is designed by the internationally acclaimed designer Matteo Thun. Years of work culminated in the ZWILLING wedge geometry that improves comfort and optimizes cutting technique. This innovative curved bolster is meant to be an extension of the hand, supporting the professional grip with thumb and index finger on the bladeDeveloped for bearings in aerospace engineering, the highperformance Cronidur 30 steel boasts impressive toughness and corrosion resistance that is 100 times higher than standard steel. Combined with ZWILLING's signature ice-hardening technique, this FRIODUR blade is exceptionally sharp and durable.Each knife is precision-forged with ZWILLING's SIGMAFORGE process, resulting in a remarkably sturdy, balanced and flexible blade. With an incredibly sharp, laser-controlled edge, the knives are honed and hand-finished by the most skilled artisans.

SIGMAFORGE knife is forged from a single piece of solid Cronidur 30 high-performance NO STAINsteel
Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade starts sharper, stays sharper longer, and has superior resilience
Precision-honed blade and laser-controlled edge ensures ideal cutting angle for sharpness and durability
Curved bolster encourages cutting with improved precision, safety and comfort
Full-edge utility: whole length of the blade can be used for cutting and chopping and the edge can be sharpened from bolster to tip
Untreated, oiled Ebony wood handle is bonded to the bolster and tang with seamless accuracy
60 Rockwell Hardness = exceptional edge retention, Edge angle 12.5 degrees per side
Manufactured in Germany

Thanks for reading and learning together
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:43 pm
Fireman wrote:

I want to start by saying that everyone has their own parameters, uses, likes and needs and that I am posting in good faith and to share information and not get in a contest or to be snarky but to be a positive part of this community. I am very happy with mine. I fell in love with my first one over a decade ago when I bought just the 8”chef knife. The ergonomics are superb especially in my preferred pinch grip on the bolster. The design is part of the cost but it is an amazing design by a well known person. The materials are exactly what I wanted. Mine are the earlier version using linen micarta handles. I have always bought knives individually or had custom made kitchen knives including my own design. I was shopping to get the matching pairing knife after the youngest boy ruined one by cooking without permission by himself and melted the handle on the stove (a different make) when I came across a whole set. I bought it because they are hard to find and I got a good deal because they lost the block at the William Sonoma store and had a sale. I not only got my paring knife but an extra chef knife for work and a few others as a bonus. Win win win for me. I too dislike the normal German style knives. These knives are not too thick behind the edge, are perfect balance and are an extension of my hand with great ergos. I use the pinch grip a lot and these knives are perfect for that. If you do catering style cooking with lots of vegetable processing having great ergos get more important. As to LC200N, The obvious is the corrosion resistance and toughness with good edge retention without chipping. I hate chipping . the edge in my use has proven great ability to take use and wear well but tunes up so easily. I like high hardness knives too but as a more specialty use than a do all chef knife. They max out the hardness and here is the info from the website. Hardness is 60 hrc. and the edge geometry is great.

TWIN 1731 is designed by the internationally acclaimed designer Matteo Thun. Years of work culminated in the ZWILLING wedge geometry that improves comfort and optimizes cutting technique. This innovative curved bolster is meant to be an extension of the hand, supporting the professional grip with thumb and index finger on the bladeDeveloped for bearings in aerospace engineering, the highperformance Cronidur 30 steel boasts impressive toughness and corrosion resistance that is 100 times higher than standard steel. Combined with ZWILLING's signature ice-hardening technique, this FRIODUR blade is exceptionally sharp and durable.Each knife is precision-forged with ZWILLING's SIGMAFORGE process, resulting in a remarkably sturdy, balanced and flexible blade. With an incredibly sharp, laser-controlled edge, the knives are honed and hand-finished by the most skilled artisans.

SIGMAFORGE knife is forged from a single piece of solid Cronidur 30 high-performance NO STAINsteel
Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade starts sharper, stays sharper longer, and has superior resilience
Precision-honed blade and laser-controlled edge ensures ideal cutting angle for sharpness and durability
Curved bolster encourages cutting with improved precision, safety and comfort
Full-edge utility: whole length of the blade can be used for cutting and chopping and the edge can be sharpened from bolster to tip
Untreated, oiled Ebony wood handle is bonded to the bolster and tang with seamless accuracy
60 Rockwell Hardness = exceptional edge retention, Edge angle 12.5 degrees per side
Manufactured in Germany

Thanks for reading and learning together
Thank you for pointing out the HRC on those. I appreciate the response but I still do not see a good argument of why LC200N would be superior to Krupp. Even at 60 vs 58-59 I just don't see the major benefit when there are so many other steels already out there that I think are actually superior. We may just have to agree to disagree.

My daily driver is a carbon steel at 64HRC that borders on laser-profile and it isn't chippy in the slightest. None of my 60+HRC knives, stainless or not, are chippy. None of them are difficult to sharpen either.

I think if Spyderco wanted to explore a new steel for kitchen knives, Magnacut would likely be a better choice than LC200N.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I think Magna Cut would be great. Key is knowing your tools and using them within their constraints. LC200N is a great all around multi purpose steel and Magna Cut will prove to be the same imho. Everyone is unique and it’s good to have such variety.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Voted yes, at up to 25% price increase.

In particular, I'd like to see a small santoku (~13cm) in LC200N
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I probably wouldn't pay a whole lot for an LC200N kitchen knife. I like my z-cut and could probably use a few more, but it was also pretty cheap, has been tough enough and corrosion resistant enough for kitchen work. LC200N would be similar or maybe a small step down on edge retention, would probably cost a lot more and I don't really need the extra corrosion resistance and toughness it provides in the kitchen. I like LC200N better than H1 for salt knives, but have many better steels for most uses.

Now I would 100% be interested in a Magncut kitchen knives and hunting/bushcraft knives from Spyderco.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Before the market gets flooded with Magna Cut (and I hope it does) almost anything in it will sell well. I think MC will be excellent and the rest is a matter of design and functionality. There are not too many holes in my kitchen knife world shower nice I probably have around 5k just in kitchen knives. The question being LC200N, my answer is depending on design. I could use a light 6”-6 1/2” Chinese cleaver because I find that size to be incredibly useful in vegetable processing. The one I have is just. bit too large.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Maybe we could talk Sal into some Ginsan. Then I'd start getting interested. :)
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

@Fireman, you make good points about kitchen utility and LC200N. Spyderco has listened to you in a way; the Spydie Chef! I gave one to my father and he loves it. A knife 3x the size of the Spydie Chef would be great. I use the leaf shaped Caribbean often and consider it a folding counter puppy. On vacation I am happy to use the Caribbean as my cabin/kitchen knife.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Even Spyderco's Murray Carter collaborations aren't thin enough for kitchen knife geeks. I'll take some zdp or hap40, though
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Magnacut seems the better choice. With a toughness that can support thin grinds and sub 15dps edge angles.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal