MagnaCut Corrosion Resistance testing thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgill

Re: MagnaCut Corrosion Resistance testing thread

Post by dgill »

Hi All first time post to these forum thanks for the info. I work in the shipbuilding industry and have worked on a lot of corrosion issues.

just wanted to shed some light on what I think is happening with the nail resting on the blade test.

Stainless steels get there corrosion resistance from a chromium oxide layer that forms on the surface. Resting a nail on the surface will disrupt this oxide layer and stop it reforming correctly resulting in corrosion. you will see this happen on the dishwasher sometimes went stainless utensils are touching each other.

To rule out galvanic corrosion rest some sort of hard non-metallic material (ceramic/glass/rock) on the blade and repeat the test and see if it affects the blade in a similar way. Note that it should be arranged to apply a point load as i think it needs some pressure to cause this effect.

Cheers
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Just spent a week in the Gulf of Mexico with the N5 in magnacut. Kayak fished all around. If anything is gonna rust a knife, it’s Southwest Florida. I had a little rust where I cut shrimp up for smaller pieces of bait… put the knife under the sink and rust was gone.

This steel handled just as good as LC200N in my uses.
Attachments
EEC498AB-A6A4-4D8F-B227-B731B6DA768C.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

dgill wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:26 pm
Hi All first time post to these forum thanks for the info. I work in the shipbuilding industry and have worked on a lot of corrosion issues.

just wanted to shed some light on what I think is happening with the nail resting on the blade test.

Stainless steels get there corrosion resistance from a chromium oxide layer that forms on the surface. Resting a nail on the surface will disrupt this oxide layer and stop it reforming correctly resulting in corrosion. you will see this happen on the dishwasher sometimes went stainless utensils are touching each other.

To rule out galvanic corrosion rest some sort of hard non-metallic material (ceramic/glass/rock) on the blade and repeat the test and see if it affects the blade in a similar way. Note that it should be arranged to apply a point load as i think it needs some pressure to cause this effect.

Cheers
Welcome to the Forum and thank you for the tip . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau