Polliwog - BladeHQ sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

Polliwog - BladeHQ sprint

Post by toocool006 »

Not sure if I missed a thread or if this is flying under the radar, but BladeHQ is dropping a sprint Polliwog tomorrow (12/29):

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe--103847

Any thoughts from polliwog owners? I'm on the fence as it seems so wide when closed that if would be quite cumbersome to carry, and the naked BB lock isn't my favorite. But I like the looks of the ergos, and it's my best shot at giving this early Eric model a try...

Good luck to anyone going for one!
~andrew
Soanso McMasters

Re: Polliwog - BladeHQ sprint

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Do you folks think they will release a coated blade version?
Zive

Post by Zive »

It fell to page 2 rather quickly, but here’s the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91383

If you’re at all interested in this model, I wouldn’t bank on a DLC version. The Dodo has *to date* only been released in satin.

*EDITED
Last edited by Zive on Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soanso McMasters

Good point
Soanso McMasters

What time does this drop?
Zive

Post by Zive »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:53 pm
What time does this drop?
10 AM MT

*Edited apologies for timezone typo.
Last edited by Zive on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:52 am
Do you folks think they will release a coated blade version?

I'd like to say yes, but they didn't do one for the Dodo...yet at least. They did for most others. I hope to see a DLC Dodo one day.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

The drop is actually at 10 am Mountain Time, which is noon EST. Blade HQ used to be in Utah, hence the time zone oddity for a Virginia based company.
Zive

Post by Zive »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:26 pm
The drop is actually at 10 am Mountain Time, which is noon EST. Blade HQ used to be in Utah, hence the time zone oddity for a Virginia based company.
Thanks for the correction. I’m in EST and my brain was split between saying 10 AM MST and 12 EST.

T - 15 min
Soanso McMasters

Well that was far less dramatic than my Magnacut Mule!
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I have owned and own two of the G-10 and two Stainless versions of this knife. I like the ergos on this one as it just fits inside your hand and becomes one with it. The knife isn't thick, much thinner than a Para 3 LW. If you put them next to each other, the Poliwog is the thickness of one handle removed from the Para 3. In the pocket, it sits flush against the pocket and the the arced handle just slides against the edge of your palm as you put your hand in the pocket. It's like it's practically not there. I like this knife a lot and carry it every now and then in my rotation. The stainless steel one is a bit heavier and gives more heft to the knife. I like them both. Granted back in the day when these were released (2007?), I bought them new for $70 but at $185, it's a bit pricey for its size. I'm glad to see BladeHQ take a chance on this one but I'll be picking up a pair to add to my Poliwog colleciton.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I applaud BHQ for commissioning this run but I think it will be a very slow seller.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I bought one.

I really wish it was stainless but m4 is better than nothing. I doubt anyone else will do a poliwog exclusive and no telling how long before spyderco does a sprint, or if they even would do a sprint. So I didnt want to miss the opportunity.

Cant wait to try it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

On a forum full of 'please make this knife' requests, I'm suprised they picked a knife I don't think anyone asked for. Not that it isn't cool, it's just surprising.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Soanso McMasters

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:25 pm
I bought one.

I really wish it was stainless but m4 is better than nothing. I doubt anyone else will do a poliwog exclusive and no telling how long before spyderco does a sprint, or if they even would do a sprint. So I didnt want to miss the opportunity.

Cant wait to try it.
That was my reasoning as well.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

Not a fan, especially at that price.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

It's a little pricy but I think it's been discontinued for about as long as I've known about it (don't remember exact years but thinking mid-2000s?), and I love Eric's designs that look like little critters (Dodo, Scorpius, this, believe there are a few others) and the ergos look good. I think it will be a great box opener or general office carry knife though I prefer to carry larger.

As others have said above, this one is not terribly well known and I doubt there will be another one released anytime soon (probably also true about no DLC, were I to guess), it's a cool design and the used ones don't come up often. I'll soon have one.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Seki G10 adds $50 to the price
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
archangel

Post by archangel »

Odd designs with pointy blades are always welcome. What makes this a no-go for me is the jade scales. I find them plain ugly - but that's just me.

I applaude BladeHQ for selecting the Poliwog! Good for you guys out there that like the jade G10. I urge all parties that can launch sprints/exclusives to have Spyderco make another Poliwog run with a different steel (why not MagnaCut?) and different scales (hint: solid CF). It won't stock long!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Odd choice. Not sure what makes this worth $30 more than the dodo exclusive either. I think these might hang around a while. Hope it doesn't discourage them from running more unusual models.