Is MAP pricing % changing come 2022?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mystery Flavor

Is MAP pricing % changing come 2022?

Post by Mystery Flavor »

So we've heard prices are going up on all spydercos January 1st, but I haven't seen anything said about if MAP pricing is going to remain the same or is that also changing?

I'm thinking it was 1 or 2 years ago the MAP % was adjusted last. It would be nice to know ahead of time for all the last minute purchases that people might want to make in the next 2 weeks.
RamZar

Re: Is MAP pricing % changing come 2022?

Post by RamZar »

MAP price is currently set at 30% off MSRP. Spyderco has not announced if this will change. Here are some other posts on prices:

RamZar wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:10 pm
Try to get your Spyderco knives this month, if they’re in stock, before price increases start in January 2022. Below street prices (MAP) are calculated at 30% off MSRP.

Street prices on U.S. models will increase by 10%+.

Street prices on Japanese models will increase by 5-7%+.

Street prices on Taichung models will increase by 15%!
RamZar wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 pm
The problem with Spyderco street prices are manifold. There was the usual 2%-3% annual increase in MSRP to some models but since 2016 consumers have had to contend with more street price increases. Starting in January 2016 Spyderco instituted a MAP (street price) of 40% off MSRP to help dealers but effectively raised the street price for consumers. Before that you could get Spyderco knives at 45%-50% off MSRP which was nice. Additionally, back then, knife dealers were not charging sales tax. Then, in January 2018 MAP was changed to 35% off MSRP and in January 2020 to the current 30% off MSRP. Again, these effectively raised the street price for the consumer in addition to increases in MSRP and more knife dealers charging sales tax. Now, starting in 2022, a big jump of 5%-15% in MAP prices across the board.

Here are some examples of street prices today and come January 2022:

• Sage5 CF/G-10 $163.80 $189.00
  • Endura4 VG-10/FRN $91.00 $95.55
  • ParaMilitary2 S45VN/G-10 $154.70 $171.50
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hard to believe the Para 2 launched at under $100 and Endura 4's were around $50.
:unicorn
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I haven't noticed a dynamic of prices going up quite like this for other companies like Boker or chinese ones, so what is that specific happening to Spyderco that isn't happening to others.

If it's not MAP it's MRSP and vice versa, 200$/250EUR FRN PM2 seems to be the direction in near-future, end-users buying these can take the hit so screw them.

On top of that add the cost of a Lynch or similar clip, because Spyderco refuses to bend that shinny stamped clip 1cm in the other direction first to make it deep carry even when it looks ridiculous with the scales sticking out of your pocket like the initial version of Brouwer.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I keep hearing "prices are going up" and "production can't keep up with demand"... Maybe in 2022 things level out.

My earnings aren't changing ... so fewer knives for me and more for you guys.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:05 am
I haven't noticed a dynamic of prices going up quite like this for other companies like Boker or chinese ones, so what is that specific happening to Spyderco that isn't happening to others.

If it's not MAP it's MRSP and vice versa, 200$/250EUR FRN PM2 seems to be the direction in near-future, end-users buying these can take the hit so screw them.

On top of that add the cost of a Lynch or similar clip, because Spyderco refuses to bend that shinny stamped clip 1cm in the other direction first to make it deep carry even when it looks ridiculous with the scales sticking out of your pocket like the initial version of Brouwer.
No one is forced to purchase after market clips though. That's like me blaming Spyderco for having to buy rit dye to make a green H1 Pacific Salt.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:43 am
Hard to believe the Para 2 launched at under $100 and Endura 4's were around $50.
I paid $113 for my first Para2, a digicam base model, from Knifeworks. That was either late 2012 or early 2013.

I got no issues with Spyderco and I hope they are doing well in these tough times. That said, I have to admit that it has drastically reduced the volume of my purchasing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:09 am
Gsg9 wrote:

No one is forced to purchase after market clips though. That's like me blaming Spyderco for having to buy rit dye to make a green H1 Pacific Salt.

I'll let you figure out how much of this sticks out of the pocket.
It cost them nothing to bend the clip backwards first to make it deeper carry but they don't want that.

James Y

Post by James Y »

It probably won't affect me much, since I don't buy many knives anymore, anyway.

However, it does hurt remembering when I could buy an Endura 4 for like $54, or when I bought my first PM2 for not much more than $100, and it doesn't seem all that long ago. Now the PM2 costs about 50% more.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:21 am
It cost them nothing to bend the clip backwards first to make it deeper carry but they don't want that.
the cost might be negligible, but it's not nothing. and you answered your own frustration in your comment... "they don't want that." ultimately, it's their company. it's their designs (even when it comes from a collaboration). it's their call. they've said repeatedly they'd rather let these other companies provide the service they do. if i was lynch or mxg, i'd be devastated if spyderco started offering deep carry clips.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Gsg9 wrote:
vivi wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

YEP!!! I hate it too when manufacturers won't/don't produce to my spec. :zany :vomit
So many knives - so little funds!!!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

At some point, street prices will stop making sense. A few years ago, that was the case with VG-10/G-10 made in Japan which resulted with Lightweight FRN models being predominant from Japan.

It’s possible the US-made S30V/G-10 may start going that way as well. Consider the Military S30V/G-10 which soon will be $217!

The MAP on Taichung knives will go up a whopping 15%. A Swayback will go up from $273.00 to $313.95. Even Sage5 S30V/FRN will go up from $122.50 to $141.05. The demand for Taichung models may dry up.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Holland

Post by Holland »

Prices aren't going up! The value of fiat is just going down :neutral

Compare the price of bread from the 60s to now.

Lots and lots of money printing, especially since covid started...

[Just my opinion]
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:45 am
Gsg9 wrote:
the cost might be negligible, but it's not nothing. and you answered your own frustration in your comment... "they don't want that." ultimately, it's their company. it's their designs (even when it comes from a collaboration). it's their call. they've said repeatedly they'd rather let these other companies provide the service they do. if i was lynch or mxg, i'd be devastated if spyderco started offering deep carry clips.

Yes, it's their company, their business, their call, their designs but it's me the customer that ends-up paying for the knife.

And selling a Brouwer to me with that clip in that position is ridiculous, as is Spyderco's great care not to compete with MXG or Lynch shops.

Making a deep carry clip at Spyderco has become a taboo now?!
No, it's just another one of those Spyderco's old management whims and for that I have to pay extra to correct and that adds up to the already high cost.

And Spyderco should care more for my needs as a end-user/paying customer for their knives than for some 3rd party shops that are selling deep carry clips for their knives.

But who am I to tell Spyderco Gods what to do or even make clip bending demands, carry on, keep raising them prices, make knives with your old friends, keep raising MAP to have the dealers happy, you're going in the right direction...all the way to China...
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:45 am
Gsg9 wrote:
vivi wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

YEP!!! I hate it too when manufacturers won't/don't produce to my spec. :zany :vomit

YEP!!! you can now get off your horse bicycle and drink your milk
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

All my favorite Spyderco models are out of stock. When a new model drops, if I'm not waiting in line to get it, hordes of fanboys buy them up before I get a chance.

When a commodity is very desirable and priced too low, the availability will be invariably be limited. Prices will creep up until the equilibrium of demand, production, and value are restored.

With the basic tenets of economics in mind, I urge Sal to jack up the prices even more. Whenever I get the urge to buy a new knife, the shelves will be fully stocked and I won't have to wait.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco has finite production capacity allocated to existing regular production models, new production models and “Exclusives” (Exclusives to include Dealer & Distributor Exclusives, Sprint Runs, Flash Batches and Mule Teams). There was and in some cases still is shortage of some popular existing production models. More production capacity went to New Models which include New Regular Production Models and “Exclusives” (most Exclusives were new and a few restock). In 2021, year to date, Spyderco released 122 new knife models (a record for any year) of which 70 are “Exclusives” (a record for any year). That’s a lot of capacity allocated to “Exclusives” which takes away from New Regular Production models and restocking existing Regular Production models. “Exclusives” are popular with dealers, consumers and Spyderco but they’re also a double-edged sword.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Gsg9 wrote:
vivi wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

looks like a typical amount.

spyderco is a production knife company at the end of the day. i dont expect them to make a run of green pacific salts in h1, or a run with endura 3 style tips, or k390 pakkawood police folders, despite me wanting these things enough to make them myself.

for some reason people expect that with clips though. the clip on that knife is perfectly functional.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:11 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:43 am
I paid $113 for my first Para2, a digicam base model, from Knifeworks. That was either late 2012 or early 2013.

I got no issues with Spyderco and I hope they are doing well in these tough times. That said, I have to admit that it has drastically reduced the volume of my purchasing.
Same.

I am happy Spyderco raised their prices instead of moving all their Golden models to China like some companies have done. I will continue to support them, even if I buy less than I did a decade ago.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

1) I don’t like deep carry. The purpose of a clip (for me) is not to hide my knife. I also don’t care about the aesthetics of my carry. I dress like a hillbilly. A clip is there to securely attach it to my person and also allow easy access. The standard clip does both of those things quite well. I have never purchased a deep carry clip and probably never will. I do own some knives that came deep carry from the factory and I carry them as well but I do sometimes notice that they are harder to deploy. I live in a cold climate and work outside a lot. Deep carry can be problematic with gloves on. I wear gloves a lot and for half a year they are thick and bulky.

2) Vivi, spot on. We can complain about prices all we want but the alternative for many companies seems to be moving offshore. I avoid buying Chinese knives and I would rather see Spyderco raise prices than reduce volume out of Golden. My purchasing has to slow down due to me just being a blue collar schmo with a family. It is no form of protest. I still undoubtedly buy more knives than the average Joe. For Spyderco this is a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario. I doubt they are trying to gouge us.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?