Steels you won't buy...and why

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Steels you won't buy...and why

Post by Bolster »

Are there current production steels you just won't buy, or will no longer buy? Let's say there's a knife model you like, but it's made with X steel, so you say 'No thanks.' Which steels would make you walk away? Obviously I'm most interested in Spyderco's stable of steels, past and present, but discussion is not limited to Spyderco.

(And for the sake of efficiency, let's start the conversation at "midgrade" steels. This is the Spyderco forum, after all; most forumites know their steels, so the lower range / junk steels can probably go unmentioned.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Archimedes

Re: Steels you won't buy...and why

Post by Archimedes »

I would say I lean very strongly towards stainless steels with high edge retention at this point in my knife journey.

I would rule no steel out if I like the design of the knife. Plus, a tough tool steel may be preferred in a fixed blade.
z1r

Post by z1r »

The only steels I would avoid would be anything less than 8cr13mov. That said, my son loves the Bug Spyderco gifted him when we visited the SFO. Absolutely loves it. Thanks again crew!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

My preferences have gone back to stainless as well. Not just stainless, but well balanced stainless like LC200N, AEB-L, and maybe Magnacut when I get to try one. The only maintenance I want to do to a knife is sharpening it, and easy to sharpen at that.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Maxamet
No need for off the chart edge retention and off the chart sharpening effort.
I prefer well rounded steels.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:07 pm
My preferences have gone back to stainless as well. Not just stainless, but well balanced stainless like LC200N, AEB-L, and maybe Magnacut when I get to try one. The only maintenance I want to do to a knife is sharpening it, and easy to sharpen at that.

Agreed with everything here. I’m trending toward stainless and ease of sharpening. I agree with the earlier sentiment that I would never 100% exclude a knife based solely on the steel, BUT, it does play a factor in my excitement, and my excitement plays a factor in my impulse buying (doesn’t it for anyone?)

My most recent example is the satin N5LW in M4. The native is my absolute favorite Spyder, but I’m sorry BHQ I just can’t justify any more M4 in my collection. But that’s just me, and I get irritated with myself if there isn’t enough “variety”/too much redundancy.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Currently not purchasing:

VG-10 or N690 (ingot, though I have lots of VG-10 in the sock drawer)
S30V (prefer a little tougher steel)
Rex45 (i'd rather have M4)
Rex76/HAP40 (though I do have a HAP40 Caly 3)
S45VN (though I have a mule...but I don't see the advantage to this steel other than corr resist)
SuperBlue (I just don't get this steel...The opposite of Magnacut?)
ZDP-189 (Like it, have plenty in the sock drawer, but nervous about low toughness)
Z-max (not into the ultra edge retention low toughness steels)
S60V/440V (Crucible's first PM steel, perfer more toughness)
S125V (haven't had a chance to buy, but won't)
S110V (have one, nice, but careful with it; don't need more)
Maxamet (very cool for ultra ER but not a balanced steel)
20CV (just not on my buy list. Don't dislike it.)
D2 (been there done that.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

420J or any other steel that's "Stainless" . I'm not a "cutter", my knives get carried "just in case". I don't have to open up dozens of cardboard boxes everyday. I don't need to cut stuff all the time. I did use my Amalgan to open up one (1) package of non salted nuts today. I don't think i used it yesterday. So VG10 is more then sufficiant for my needs. So maybe even 420 would suffice. Don't know. I really disliked the fact that i had to pay a premium price to purchase a S110V UKPK because i wanted one when i went to Germany last year. Would have really been happy to find a standard one in S30V. I'm a Registered Nurse now so i can't use any knives around my patients. The only thing that deteriorates are my pant pockets when i drive home at night.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

there's not really a steel i wouldn't buy, but most of the tool steels that are popular right now won't be getting my money unless they become considerably cheaper. i don't understand paying $$$ for a knife that wants to rust immediately. i prefer for expensive tools tools to last.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m probably the minority but I don’t like tool steals. Corrosion resistance is extremely important to me so they are out.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I have spydies in 52100, M4, HAP40, REX45 and K390 and I don't have problems with rust.

Most of my quality hand tools (Wera, Wiha, Knipex, Hazet) are also not stainless and they will outlast me. Estwing and Picard hammers are not stainless. My Ochsenkopf hatchet and axe are not stainless.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Not many.. 8cr, d2.. Maybe XHP and VG-10 only because I have enough knives with these already. I have a SAK collection after all, so my decision is not driven by steel only. Good HT, good blade geometry, lock, ergos, good fit and finish, aesthetics and other attributes are more important.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I still want to try an Astute, but not in 8cr13mov.
So it goes.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

There is no steel, that I would not buy. But there are a lot of steels, I would not buy above a certain price point. Depends completley on the knife and price.
James Y

Post by James Y »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:19 pm
I’m probably the minority but I don’t like tool steals. Corrosion resistance is extremely important to me so they are out.

I'm with you on that. But yes, I believe we are in the minority on this forum.

Jim
Matus

Post by Matus »

I care about the final product. I try to avoid steels (knives) with poor edge stability. I don’t have much use for a machete type of tools where a super toughness may be the priority.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure there is a steel that Spyderco uses that I would choose to not buy based on the steel alone, vs choosing the model. In other words, if I really like the model I can make due with whatever steel it comes in, despite maybe wanting it in a different steel. If you asked me this same question 5+ years ago I probably would have said I don't need more of certain steels, but the model always gets priority over the steel type. The only time steel type comes into play is deciding on sprint/exclusive purchases and some of those just aren't different enough from what I already have to bother with but that has more to do with avoiding redundancy than avoiding a steel type.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:20 pm
I'm not sure there is a steel that Spyderco uses that I would choose to not buy based on the steel alone, vs choosing the model. In other words, if I really like the model I can make due with whatever steel it comes in, despite maybe wanting it in a different steel. If you asked me this same question 5+ years ago I probably would have said I don't need more of certain steels, but the model always gets priority over the steel type. The only time steel type comes into play is deciding on sprint/exclusive purchases and some of those just aren't different enough from what I already have to bother with but that has more to do with avoiding redundancy than avoiding a steel type.
Exactly my thoughts on the matter. There are steels I prefer, but I'll take any steel Spyderco uses if I like the model and that's the only steel it comes in. I like getting different steels mostly for the sake of variety, not because I have any real need for something different.

My cutting usage is pretty minimal, so even the lowest tier steel Spyderco uses is generally sufficient to get me through the day/week/month without needing to be sharpened. I live in Los Angeles so corrosion isn't a concern either. Of course I realize that many others have higher demand use cases for their knives, so would have greater minimum steel requirements than me.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

For folders, I won't buy any tool/carbon steels.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

From what I've read and heard....Magnucut will not be on my list to buy. :yawn

To many good steels ahead of it. :smlling-eyes