Tougher steel Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Tougher steel Spyderco knives?

Post by Fireman »

Does anyone else want to see more Spyderco knives in tougher steels?
Magna Cut is good and I hope to see more of this
LC200N is good and plentiful thanks to spyderco
3V is good but rare.
52200 is good but rare.
Is there a market for more tough Spyderco knives?
CPM 1V?
AEB-L?
CPM 9V?
S7?
PD#1?
Z-Tough?

What tough steel are you hoping for?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kadinh

Re: Tougher steel Spyderco knives?

Post by kadinh »

What about cru-wear? Is that tough enough?
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kadinh wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:04 pm
I forgot to put Z-Wear which is similar to Cru-Wear iirc

That is a good one too.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:06 pm
kadinh wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:04 pm
I forgot to put Z-Wear which is similar to Cru-Wear iirc

That is a good one too.

And both are essentially the same as PD1, which you do have. :)

52200 should be 52100 as well...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

More h1 ;)
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes, this is my favorite category of steels. More Cruwear/Z-Wear/PD1 would be awesome. More 52100. ANY 3V in something like a Military, Manix XL, or even an Endura. AEB-L would be sweet paired with Micarta. More 4V. MagnaCut hopefully in some beefier non-salt models. All of these in my favorite Seki models like the Endura, Endela, Delica, Straight Spine Stretch, Straight Spine Stretch XL, etc. Any and all of these paired with beefier Micarta or G10 versions of these Seki models.

tldr: yes, more tough steels
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

52100 has that old school cool.

I really don't know why it isn't more common compared to 10xx series steels, which seem to have quite the following for a certain type of knife and use.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Just ungodly amounts of Magnacut.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'll take as many crucarta knives as Eric wants to make.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I would like to see tough steels on Spyderco fixed blades. I'm not eager to see them on more folders, as I worry about corrosion around the pivot area. Of course, Magnacut might change all this as it is included in the Salt series.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

H-1 and LC200N are high up on the toughness scale and are very stainless/corrosion resistant for folders for those that want both. Bring on more.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

On a folder the extreme toughness steels would be wasted as other parts of the knife would fail prior to the blade. In other words, you'd be unlikely to use a folder in a manner to make use of the extreme toughness. Even so, for myself, I cannot see a reasonable use case for a steel tougher that 3V in any knife blade not even big choppers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
momano

Post by momano »

I would like to see some 14C28N and 420HC offerings as well.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Yes! As an electrician using my knives hard at work I find stuff like s30v, m390, cpm154 will chip at any edge angle low enough to slice well. I've found that high hardness also plays a big role in resisting chipping for my uses (contact with copper & aluminum) and that so far rex45, lc200n, and Zwear have been really bulletproof for me. I've also picked up some M4 and the MC mule to try out but haven't put those through their paces yet. My preferred form factor is a shaman. I'd love to get a 4v shaman but those cost a stupid high amount on the secondary. Some steels I'd like to see more of: AEB L / 14C28N, (I'd even take 12c27), 3v, maybe 4v (If it's not rendered obsolete by MC?)... I'd also take a k390 shaman to test my theory that HRC impacts my uses more than toughness, but that's not really high toughness. Or is it? Haven't seen real scientific toughness testing data done on k390 aside from what bohler provides, which Larrin is suspicious of.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What are you guys doing that you need s7 in a folder?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 am
What are you guys doing that you need s7 in a folder?
I believe they are under the impression it will be indestructible, they have a curiosity to see what those steels can do.

In my my experience, they blunt smooth in cutting easy and deform permanently easier/sooner and don't take as nice of an edge.

The advantage they offer is resistance to breaking/cracking with sudden impact, resistance to shock. I believe folks are under the impression that translates to wolverines adamantium claws and will never chip and can cut things that aren't meant to be cut.

If wolverine's claws were made out of S7 they would bend, roll and blunt badly. He would need to get his claws replaced mid use. Perhaps he could change his claws to hammers to take advantage of the S7.

Shock resistance, It doesn't translate to "edge holding" since the edge will deform plastically very easy in use and deformed steel needs to be sharpened away.

Yes, steel can roll so badly it might as well be a chip.

Oftentimes people only talk about things as if there's only two options, rolling and chipping and that they would rather have rolling.

However there's a third option, no rolling or chipping and that's what edge stability is about.

Edge Stability is what we want, not raw ductility for shock resistance.

Those steels are better for a chopper that will see lots of impact/shock with thicker geometry to compensate for the lower strength

Just my 2 cents, hope these guys get what they want.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Like Vaugith I also use my knives pretty hard at work and much prefer the tougher variety of steels.
So far CPM-Cruwear has been my favorite(tough as ****, good edge holding and easy to sharpen), which is why I’m excited for Magnacut.

I just hope it’s going to be available in Seki models and not only on Salt models.
It’s bad enough that I can’t get another Cruwear knife unless I pay almost double to flippers. Hopefully Magnacut will be plentiful and readily available on a number of models.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:21 pm
Yes, this is my favorite category of steels. More Cruwear/Z-Wear/PD1 would be awesome. More 52100. ANY 3V in something like a Military, Manix XL, or even an Endura. AEB-L would be sweet paired with Micarta. More 4V. MagnaCut hopefully in some beefier non-salt models. All of these in my favorite Seki models like the Endura, Endela, Delica, Straight Spine Stretch, Straight Spine Stretch XL, etc. Any and all of these paired with beefier Micarta or G10 versions of these Seki models.

tldr: yes, more tough steels
Wait until you start learning to sharpen, and practicing different angles and grits....THAT'S when you really find out what steels really appeal to you!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Vaugith wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:48 am
Yes! As an electrician using my knives hard at work I find stuff like s30v, m390, cpm154 will chip at any edge angle low enough to slice well...

For contractor work, I could use a knife with more toughness even at the cost of edge retention. You never know when you're going to hit a hidden staple or nail. (To be fair, that's what interchangeable blade utility knives are for.)

Roll > Chip!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:28 am
Vaugith wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:48 am
Yes! As an electrician using my knives hard at work I find stuff like s30v, m390, cpm154 will chip at any edge angle low enough to slice well...

For contractor work, I could use a knife with more toughness even at the cost of edge retention. You never know when you're going to hit a hidden staple or nail. (To be fair, that's what interchangeable blade utility knives are for.)

Roll > Chip!
Copper staples hidden under tape are the devil!!! But, also have taught me a few things about steels I've been using. Toughness definitely shows when encountering those staples.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick