Will there be a MagnaCut backlash?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Will there be a MagnaCut backlash?

Post by Bolster »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:16 am
Wife baked a ham last night and being the dork that I am, stood in the kitchen cutting off chunks of it with my mule. On one cut the blade went through so quick that I banged the edge on the baking pan pretty hard and I expected to see a flat spot on the edge somewhere but it didn't effect it at all. That's the kind of real world stuff I want to see an edge withstand. If I baton a brick in half I go into that expecting damage but it's really nice knowing that it's less likely to roll or chip from this sort of everyday mishap.

Ah, the infamous ham test. Glad you passed, and that your wife didn't defenestrate you from the kitchen.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wife baked a ham last night and being the dork that I am, stood in the kitchen cutting off chunks of it with my mule. On one cut the blade went through so quick that I banged the edge on the baking pan pretty hard and I expected to see a flat spot on the edge somewhere but it didn't effect it at all. That's the kind of real world stuff I want to see an edge withstand. If I baton a brick in half I go into that expecting damage but it's really nice knowing that it's less likely to roll or chip from this sort of everyday mishap.

Ah, the infamous ham test. Glad you passed, and that your wife didn't defenestrate you from the kitchen.
haphazard ham hewing
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:55 am
Xformer wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:12 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:01 am
Xformer wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:13 am

So superior in thoughness, but what about the rest ? Corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening ?
Read the article.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/
I've tried to but I'm far from being knowledgable enough. I don't understand 1/10 of it.

I'd prefer a simple answer : How does it compare to s30v or s45vn ? In thoughness, edge retention, corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening.

This graph shows that MagnaCut was able to absorb more energy before breaking with impact testing. This translates to MagnaCut being tougher than all the other PM stainless steels even at higher hardness including s30v/s45vn which is rather exciting.

This graph shows that MagnaCut didn't cut as much as s30v and s45vn in slicing edge retention. So, the s30v/s45vn edge cut more in a controlled cut test.

Real world use will vary depending how sharp the knives are before starting, geometry, what and how they are being used and what the main dulling mechanism is such as blunting, chipping, rolling etc

This is why it's important to see how things stack in a controlled environment yet also factor in real world use. The end user is perhaps the biggest variable of all.

This picture shows that MagnaCut developed less rust, so MagnaCut is more stainless than a majority of stainless steels including M390 and s30v/s45vn.

In my testing, the MagnaCut is very durable and took less damage than 1095 when batoning a nail at the same edge angle despite being harder.

MagnaCut sharpens easier than s30v/s45vn.

The structure is very fine.
Big thanks.

Sounds like a miracle steel. That's the steel I've waited for. I use my knife quite hard at work and I've broke some Spyderco blade rocking s30v before. I hate rust on my blade since I also use my knife to cut sandwiches and my two daily apples at work... I also hate sharpening. I'm excited

Can't wait to see an updated PM2 rocking it.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

There may be a ripple of discontent if the Rockwell is not at the higher to add edge retention. This is a new steel and it may take manufacturers a few years to optimize their heat treats.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Evil D wrote:

If Larrin does not add ham testing to his charts, can we really call him a scientist? ;) :smirk
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Having a salt type steel that holds an edge longer than previous salt steels will be quite nice. The native 5 salt switch to magnacut should really help showcase the balanced steel and somewhat assist with the inevitable backlash from folks that will cut 6k feet of cardboard and lots of rope before being hammered through nails and shaving copper.

Brilliant choice to switch steels.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:15 am
Bolster wrote:
Evil D wrote:

If Larrin does not add ham testing to his charts, can we really call him a scientist? ;) :smirk

Sorry it's just not apples to apples comparison. Too many variables. What quality is the ham being cut? What temperature was it baked at and for how long? Brown sugar glazed? How many times was it basted? Bone in ham or processed? Geez man think like an actual scientist for once.

🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:57 am
JRinFL wrote:
Bolster wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Sorry it's just not apples to apples comparison. Too many variables. What quality is the ham being cut? What temperature was it baked at and for how long? Brown sugar glazed? How many times was it basted? Bone in ham or processed? Geez man think like an actual scientist for once.

🤣
I guess he will have to use lab grown "pork cubes" as the test medium. ⚗️🧪
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Great expectations lead to great disappointments.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Bacon should be the gold standard. How many strips of thick cut Canadian bacon can it cut? Problem is, the testing wouldn’t be accurate. A lot of it would be eaten during testing. :winking-tongue
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

But Canadian bacon isn’t actually bacon. It’s just ham. Or is it just thin sliced loin? I don’t even know what it is but I know it isn’t bacon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:00 pm
It's human nature, after expecting something wonderful and new, to be disappointed with the reality, which is never as perfect as the mind can imagine.

Do you think we will see a MagnaCut backlash after it's widely available? If not a backlash, perhas a lot of "meh" or "I've seen better" responses?

Or, do you think most owners of MagnaCut will be blown away by its performance? Will it become "THE" new knife steel by popular demand?

Or, do you think most new MagnaCutters will have a rational view of it as a well-balanced steel that excels within its particular niche?

I'm expecting option 3 from THIS crowd, but I'm curious what'll happen out there amongst the masses.
I think the backlash of expectations should be minimal because we already have similar steel types, CruWear is well known at this point so if anyone has any questions about the performance of MagnaCut they should just buy a knife made of CruWear, and then wait to buy a similar knife for use in the Kitchen or around water.
Or if you don't think stain resistance is important just use CruWear and don't look back (personally I'll take K390 for folders not in MagnaCut).
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:

Exactly so. I've always been suspicious of his so-called "science" since not even a footnote is devoted to ham testing.

Perhaps MagnaCut will produce a winnowing of steels in use. We have so many currently, but if MagnaCut outperforms, say, 20 other steels, then maybe those steels will recede in use and popularity. Maybe MagnaCut will decimate knife steel variety. That might be what happens when you get "the one steel to rule them all," if the marketplace of hobbits perceives it as such.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 am
JRinFL wrote:

Exactly so. I've always been suspicious of his so-called "science" since not even a footnote is devoted to ham testing.

Perhaps MagnaCut will produce a winnowing of steels in use. We have so many currently, but if MagnaCut outperforms, say, 20 other steels, then maybe those steels will recede in use and popularity. Maybe MagnaCut will decimate knife steel variety. That might be what happens when you get "the one steel to rule them all," if the marketplace of hobbits perceives it as such.

It seems like this was S30V for a very long time and VG10 before that, not even just with Spyderco. S30V is still a premium top tier steel with a lot of companies. There's already so many similar steels that most of us couldn't tell apart in blind testing, maybe this will be the cream that rises to the top.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Not even a mention of what breed of pig will be used for the testing? Has to have the proper amount of marbling like Mangalica or Iberico.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:25 am
Not even a mention of what breed of pig will be used for the testing? Has to have the proper amount of marbling like Mangalica or Iberico.
Mangalica, of course. Cannot pass up an alliteration opportunity with MagnaCut.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:20 am
Larrin wrote:

I thought that was gonna be Larrin's next steel: Manga-Cut.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:44 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:20 am
Larrin wrote:

I thought that was gonna be Larrin's next steel: Manga-Cut.
I would have thought "Larrinite" for sure ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:56 am

LOL. Now now, Tko, stirring the pot, are you? I know what you're doing...and I'm gonna behave like a gentleman this time ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:01 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:56 am

LOL. Now now, Tko, stirring the pot, are you? I know what you're doing...and I'm gonna behave like a gentleman this time ;)
Hahahah :cheap-sunglasses :clinking-mugs
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick