Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by JSumm »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:22 am
If somebody posted this already, sorry I missed it. Just noticed this was listed at knife center. The pics are for lc200n but price is 143.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PY ... rn-handles
It says Magnacut and Pre-Order. They are probably just using stock photos since they don't have it in stock.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

That’s kinda what I figured too. Still exciting to see a glimpse of what is coming. Anyone know if the pricing is correct?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:42 am
That’s kinda what I figured too. Still exciting to see a glimpse of what is coming. Anyone know if the pricing is correct?
Or know when this will be available?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Contacted KW will know something next week sometime. Girl who handles Spyderco is out sick 😷 if you know what I mean .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:46 pm
It looks like the Native5 MagnaCut is replacing LC200N since they both have the same model#. Also, the price has gone up. The LC200N is MSRP: $186.00 Street Price: $130.20. The MagnaCut one is MSRP: $204.50 Street Price: $143.15 (up 10%)!

That's assuming that the MAP remains at 70% of MSRP.

That's probably the most interesting info, N5 Salt just went up in price, well chosen model with new hyped steel to get buyers used to higher price levels.

Magnacut hype from the Gods themselves, influencers have been summoned, topics have been opened.

Would Spyderco go forward with three Salt steels, H1, LC200N and Magnacut, now that Magnacut looks even more expensive than LC200N or this more expensive was never really an issue. At some point it will.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think this steel will finally make me pull the trigger on a N5. The N5 is not my favorite Spyderco, but this steel and it being American made makes it appealing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:34 am
I think this steel will finally make me pull the trigger on a N5. The N5 is not my favorite Spyderco, but this steel and it being American made makes it appealing.

I didn't love it until I got a few for other people and spent more time with them. I have one in Maxamet and I'm waiting for one in SE, hopefully it'll be MagnaCut but if not I think the LC200N may be on my list.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:

I didn't love it until I got a few for other people and spent more time with them. I have one in Maxamet and I'm waiting for one in SE, hopefully it'll be MagnaCut but if not I think the LC200N may be on my list.
Don't get me wrong. It is a fine knife. I just can't get four fingers on the handle not using the choil. With the choil I can get all four, but it is not comfortable for my particular hand. If I could lengthen the grip or move the finger guard forward a tad I would really like this knife. Still, I don't hate it and I love the looks of it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:43 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Don't get me wrong. It is a fine knife. I just can't get four fingers on the handle not using the choil. With the choil I can get all four, but it is not comfortable for my particular hand. If I could lengthen the grip or move the finger guard forward a tad I would really like this knife. Still, I don't hate it and I love the looks of it.

I'm the same, it's definitely a choil-only knife for me and I can't saber grip it with my thumb on the jimping very well without feeling really cramped but I like how it feels with my thumb relaxed out over the spine when the cutting allows it, otherwise it's a hammer grip user for me. I spent years carrying the original Native so I also have some built-up familiarity and I think the ergonomics have gotten better since then.

All that aside I would much rather have all that in a Shaman if it's possible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I've got my preorder in for the MagnaCut Native at KC, hopefully they come in stock sooner than later. I have the Magna Mule, but use folders far more often and like Natives pretty well.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since I collect Native 5s I hope european dealers will have this model. If not, happens.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:28 am
Since I collect Native 5s I hope european dealers will have this model. If not, happens.
I'm sure European dealers will have this model sooner or later.

Like many others, the N5 is a choil knife for me, and I don't even consider I have particularly large hands. I prefer the D4 by far, but the N5 is not bad for EDC.

I plan on buying this N5 because of the steel.
MNOSD member 0011
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I looked at CS today and all Pacific Salts were listed in close out and discontinued ? Only the H1 models Yellow and Black in PE and SE ? What does that mean ? I posted this alone for all to see .MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm just curious what the BTE thickness is on the new Magnacut Native 5...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:01 pm
Will certainly be the same as on the other LW. not the best but still ok
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Golden made knives I've measured have pretty much all been right around .025" behind the edge. I can't recall any that were different than that, in fact. So that would be my guess. My MagnaCut Mule was also right around .025" behind the edge.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:06 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:30 pm
The Golden made knives I've measured have pretty much all been right around .025" behind the edge. I can't recall any that were different than that, in fact. So that would be my guess. My MagnaCut Mule was also right around .025" behind the edge.
Thanks guys, that is good information. I've taken LC200N down to about ten thousandths behind the edge without any issues, but obviously not on Magnacut (yet). Just curious if Magnacut will support a thinner edge too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:06 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:06 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:30 pm
Thanks guys, that is good information. I've taken LC200N down to about ten thousandths behind the edge without any issues, but obviously not on Magnacut (yet). Just curious if Magnacut will support a thinner edge too.
I think MagnaCut does excellent with thinned edges. I have not done a full regrind on a MagnaCut knife, but have thinned a edges on three MagnaCut fixed blades now and have been impressed with its performance.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
noeps

Post by noeps »

Any word on when these knives will start to ship?