Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MidnightCoalCo.

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

Pacu0420 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:44 pm
Lucked out and found this one at a local shop that carries Spyderco. They just got it in a few days ago so I grabbed it up. Anyway, I can't take the dayglow yellow (sorry Eric and Sal) so I picked up some blue Rit and now I have an OD green N5 Salt Magnacut. Oh yeah! 😎
Just out of curiosity, how long did you dunk those scales in that blue to achieve that OD Green color? From the pictures it looks amazing and would be interested in replicating that. Thanks!
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
Pacu0420

Post by Pacu0420 »

MidnightCoalCo. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:53 am
Pacu0420 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:44 pm
Lucked out and found this one at a local shop that carries Spyderco. They just got it in a few days ago so I grabbed it up. Anyway, I can't take the dayglow yellow (sorry Eric and Sal) so I picked up some blue Rit and now I have an OD green N5 Salt Magnacut. Oh yeah! 😎
Just out of curiosity, how long did you dunk those scales in that blue to achieve that OD Green color? From the pictures it looks amazing and would be interested in replicating that. Thanks!
It wasn't long. A few minutes total. I forgot to mention that I also used green RIT after the blue. With just the blue dye it ends up kind of tan.
Anyway, I hold it in the dye for around 30 seconds then look to see if it's the color I want. If not, I dip it again. Repeat until you get the desired shade.
I don't know if it matters, but I did the blue first, then the green. I didn't bother taking the knife apart either. I just made sure to give it a good wash and set on a heater vent to dry it out when I was done.
Top 5 EDC Spydies: S45VN Para3, S90V DLT PM2, MagnaCut Native5, Crucarta PM2, Maxamet Manix2
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:53 am
Don't have an artsy bone in my body, but I got the new N5 dipped last night. It's looks slightly lower key in the pocket now, although I wouldn't mind the whole thing being that color red.

What color of Rit did you use to get that red?
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

HolySteel wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:44 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:53 am
Don't have an artsy bone in my body, but I got the new N5 dipped last night. It's looks slightly lower key in the pocket now, although I wouldn't mind the whole thing being that color red.

What color of Rit did you use to get that red?
This one:
NewSpy

Post by NewSpy »

My Knifecenter order is finally shipping after 16 months. They are holding my Black Friday pricing.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Ohh, really!?

Still waiting for a shipping notification here.. Hopefully soon.
NewSpy

Post by NewSpy »

I ordered it Feb/2022. When I talked to them 2 weeks ago, they said they were on Nov/2021 and I should have mine soon.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Sorry for OT. Can someone tell me please, if the Native Salt has titanium clip?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Is there people using the PE version that can tell me a little bit how the steel feels compared to the Mule ?

I wanted one for a long time but I'm wondering how the HT makes the steel behaves now that Spyderco has found how they want to treat MC.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Mine finally landed today after 7 months and basically forgetting about it. Worth it for the $114 November 2022 asking price?

Absolutely 🕺
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Igi964 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:11 am
Sorry for OT. Can someone tell me please, if the Native Salt has titanium clip?
Magnet sticks to mine so I'm going to say no it's not titanium.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Native 5 Salt Magnacut PE showed up. Really excellent QC. It’s going straight into the rotation, giving the Rex45 LW a rest. Looking good so far with a little light household choring.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I finally bought one and was surprised to have a total pain while disassembling it.
The lockbar pin was totally stuck in the lockbar, incapable of moving. This made the knife really hard to use and my plan of migrating blade and lockbar to a Ti + Backspacer body impossible.

The lockbar pin had material removed because of the friction. After using some tools to remove the lockbar pin from the lockbar, I discovered that the lockbar pin was a bit damaged by the lockbar. The lockbar hole was tighter on one end than on the other. I used a diamond file as a makeshift countersink and now it's ok.

I rolled the lockbar pin on a strop with 12 micron diamond emulsion for a good while to remove as much of the striations created as possible.

Now it's good :open-grin . I'm just leaving that here in the anticipation that somebody else encounters the same situation.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:23 am
I finally bought one and was surprised to have a total pain while disassembling it.
The lockbar pin was totally stuck in the lockbar, incapable of moving. This made the knife really hard to use and my plan of migrating blade and lockbar to a Ti + Backspacer body impossible.

The lockbar pin had material removed because of the friction. After using some tools to remove the lockbar pin from the lockbar, I discovered that the lockbar pin was a bit damaged by the lockbar. The lockbar hole was tighter on one end than on the other. I used a diamond file as a makeshift countersink and now it's ok.

I rolled the lockbar pin on a strop with 12 micron diamond emulsion for a good while to remove as much of the striations created as possible.

Now it's good :open-grin . I'm just leaving that here in the anticipation that somebody else encounters the same situation.
Glad you were able to solve the problem. I've taken apart two Native 5's in order to switch the scales - both were very easy to take apart and put back together.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:40 pm

Glad you were able to solve the problem. I've taken apart two Native 5's in order to switch the scales - both were very easy to take apart and put back together.
Well that's usually my experience ! Except with maybe G10 N5s which sometimes have a more "press fit" lock pin but the N5 LW is always a treat to disassemble, 3 screws and you're done :open-grin

Now my Magnacut N5 is the same way as all my others ^^

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:26 pm
Now my Magnacut N5 is the same way as all my others ^^
Excellent! With mine I started by dying the scales red, but then picked up a Rex 45 with white scales, switched the two and then found a silver clip. For me it's a perfect knife. My Sage 2 with a Maxamet blade is a close 2nd! I love simple Titanium handles.