Native Chief CTS-XHP on the fence

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tactikool

Re: Native Chief CTS-XHP on the fence

Post by tactikool »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:18 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:16 am
ImageHere is a picture of mine in natural settings . I owe our Forum members advice a big thanks about this knife and actually want another one in another steel sometime . Like JSUMM has said , if you buy one post some pics and share your thoughts , we are all here to learn and help . MG2
There it is! Yep it is a great design and the orange is growing on me. The steel is great.
The orange scales were the one thing that I was hesitant about. Then, I considered my Benchmade Mini Crooked River that has orange accents that when I first saw them I wasn’t thrilled about. Now I find the orange in that application quite tasteful. I feel the CS orange scales of the Chief will grow on me in this same way.

I really wish I had pulled the trigger on the BladeHQ Jade G10/DLC M4 Chief when they were available. Probably my favorite NC exclusive.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'd like to get that long of an XHP blade.
I'd also love a Native 5 in XHP !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:15 am
I am kinda surprised that we haven't seen a Native 5 with CTS-XHP. With the format being what it is and usually the first to a new steel.

CTS-XHP checks all my boxes with what I love in an EDC steel.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:27 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:15 am
I am kinda surprised that we haven't seen a Native 5 with CTS-XHP. With the format being what it is and usually the first to a new steel.

CTS-XHP checks all my boxes with what I love in an EDC steel.
That may be because the Native already got to try XHP when it was still the Native 3 - https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PB ... -exclusive

But you're right, it is a little curious that there's been no N5 with it.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I think a big benefit of the orange is that the Native Chief is, for lack of better words, a very "murdery" looking knife. It's long and wickedly pointed and probably gives a lot of normies pause to look at. I think orange signifies "this is a tool" rather than "this is a murder weapon" as it's a very common color for tools, so it helps it freak people out a bit less when you pull it out to do some knife task with it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:41 am
I think a big benefit of the orange is that the Native Chief is, for lack of better words, a very "murdery" looking knife. It's long and wickedly pointed and probably gives a lot of normies pause to look at. I think orange signifies "this is a tool" rather than "this is a murder weapon" as it's a very common color for tools, so it helps it freak people out a bit less when you pull it out to do some knife task with it.
I have not looked at the color in that way and not being critical. I like it for high visibility, easy to find if I get distracted doing more than one task and set it down outside . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:02 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:40 pm
So between the XHP and REX 45, which one would be a better steel?
Maybe not better just different.

Knife Steel Nerds has a ton of good info. and great reading, so definitely check Larrin's site out. Maybe Google the steel then type in Knife Steel Nerds to get to the right articles.

I have not had Rex 45 but it is run harder, and may have better edge stability. But CTS-XHP is no slouch either. Maybe the XHP is easier to sharpen. I have had a few Chaparral's and I really like to sharpen XHP. A little more stainless, but XHP would be on the lower side of stainless of the stainless knife steels. Rex 45 is a tool steel, so not really stainless, but probably not an issue in normal EDC.

Credit to Larrin and Knife Steel Nerds for all of this great work.
I have a Chief in both steels and you can't go wrong with either.
I think Jeff pretty much SUMMed it up here. Sorry for the pun but I just couldn't help myself Jeff.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I absolutely LOVE my Chief (basic S30V version). Although I do find myself being extra super-careful to be mindful to protect the tip of the blade from bumping against anything, etc.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I love my set of Native Chiefs, and will keep right on buying as they are released.

I still need the S30V model, and I plan on getting it soon. S30V and XHP are excellent steels for folders! Right now I'm saving to get 6 months of my prescription meds, and after that, I'll get that knife.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

The orange is definitely growing on me.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

tactikool wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:07 am

The orange is definitely growing on me.
It has grown on me and won’t be my last Orange knife . Glad you like it . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau