BladeHQ Native 5 M4 mint green dropping Dec. 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yowzer

Re: BladeHQ Native 5 M4 mint green dropping Dec. 3

Post by yowzer »

Mine was delivered yesterday... my first Native 5 LW. Is this really a FRN handle as advertised? It feels like the FRCP on the Manix 2, not like my other Golden-made FRN handled knives (And nothing like Seki FRN).
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It is FRCP if I recall correctly. It feels way harder than FRN once in hand
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:55 pm
There's been several discussions about this and I'm not sure I've ever seen verification that the Native 5 LW uses FRCP vs the advertised FRN. Yes, the FRN on the Native 5s feels closer to the FRCP used on the Manix and it definitely feels different than the FRN used on the Seki City or Taichung knives. To me it really doesn't feel much different than the Para 3 LW handles. I've always thought the differences were more due to the finish on the molds than anything. Different texturing makes a big difference tool I also don't feel that the Native 5 LW handle material feels "way harder" than anything else Spyderco makes in FRN or FRCP. I find the differences to be very subtle
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Old post confirming FRN from 2015:
TazKristi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:26 am
Hi everyone,
The lightweight Native 5 (all of them) are FRN. Hopefully this clears up any and all confusion. :)

Kristi
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:42 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:55 pm
There's been several discussions about this and I'm not sure I've ever seen verification that the Native 5 LW uses FRCP vs the advertised FRN. Yes, the FRN on the Native 5s feels closer to the FRCP used on the Manix and it definitely feels different than the FRN used on the Seki City or Taichung knives. To me it really doesn't feel much different than the Para 3 LW handles. I've always thought the differences were more due to the finish on the molds than anything. Different texturing makes a big difference tool I also don't feel that the Native 5 LW handle material feels "way harder" than anything else Spyderco makes in FRN or FRCP. I find the differences to be very subtle
I was in this instance comapring it to Seki's FRN. Looking more closely there is like a grain to Seki's FRN, maybe this tricks some people into an impression of a more malleable material. I don't have the right word for it excuse me :sad-but-relieved .

I did disassemble both of my Endura and Native LW recently and the scales do present a similar if not same rigidity (the native being more compact).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds