Favorite small spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Favorite small spyderco

Post by twinboysdad »

I don’t own a Lava currently but that’s a great moderately obscure small folder.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 am
I don’t own a Lava currently but that’s a great moderately obscure small folder.
I handled one years ago the Lava feels awesome in hand , wish they would revive it in another variant. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve never seen a sprint run take longer to sell out than the last Lava sprint run. I’d be shocked if they chose to bring that one back again.

———

I’ve already answered with my favorite small Spydies but as honorable mention, I’ll say the Mouse is a design I like a lot but do not own. Definitely one I’d LOVE to have for my collection and I keep a constant eye out for it. I know it’s sold under the “Blade Tech” brand now, but I genuinely don’t even consider than an option. Spyderco Mouse or no Mouse for me.
-Nick :bug-red
benben

Post by benben »

I have three Dragonfly's, two Lil' Native's, and a Cricket, love them all....just can't remember the last time I carried any of them? I just never carry small knives anymore, Pacific Salt in my pocket today. The Native 5 is my "small" knife!

8.7" knife that weighs 2.5oz and cuts like a chainsaw is pretty hard to beat!
z1r

Post by z1r »

I love the LB, the DF2 and the Chap as small knives. I carry Hawkbill LB's on all my keychains, except the F150, it gets a MB "rescue", lol. But I always have my ZDP DF2 in my left pocket, my "large" EDC in my right. The Chap almost always gets duty when I only carry one knife. But some days, the N5 substitutes. All are great and I'm glad I don't have to pick just one.

Despite the Chap being only a bit larger than the DF2 and having considerably more blade, I seem to always carry the DF2 because it is usually enough and it is so light. If you determine favorites by how many examples you have, it would almost be a tie between the DF2 and N5, I have many of each and can't seem to stop finding new examples I have to have.
Last edited by z1r on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:50 am
I love the LB, the DF2 and the Chap as small knives. I carry Hawkbill LB's on all my keychains, except the F150, it gets a MB "rescue", lol. But I always have my ZDP DF2 in my left pocket, my "large" EDC in my right. The Chap almost gets duty when I only carry one knife. But some days, the N5 substitutes. All are great and I'm glad I don't have to pick just one.

Despite the Chap being only a bit larger than the DF2 and having considerably more blade, I seem to always carry the DF2 because it is usually enough and it is so light. If you determine favorites by how many examples you have, it would almost be a tie between the DF2 and N5, I have many of each and can't seem to stop finding new examples I have to have.
I do the same daily , DF2 Salt in right pocket and since a lefty a larger in my left . I only have one more DF2 but they are a knife I highly regard owning . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:07 am
I’ve never seen a sprint run take longer to sell out than the last Lava sprint run. I’d be shocked if they chose to bring that one back again.

———
I remember skipping it as I thought it was unreasonably expensive for what it was, despite it being better than the original all stainless model. Shortly after that Chad when on to Boker and his relationship with Spyderco ended.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
z1r

Post by z1r »

Double tap. sorry.
Last edited by z1r on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Great minds think alike!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

My favourite small Spyderco folders are the Dragonfly 2, Manbug, & Li'l Native (I like the Native 5, Chaparral FRN & Delica 4 as well, but I think they're in the gray area between "small" & "medium" size when it comes to folders).

I dailied a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189 for a long time, and it's still one of my favourite designs despite favouring larger models these days. It's a compact knife that handles like a bigger one & could serve as a work folder in a pinch, which I really appreciate.

I also had an SE Manbug on my keychain for several years, before gifting it to a coworker. A surprisingly useful bit of kit that I should really re-purchase.

Currently, if I do carry a small folding knife, either for discretion or just because I want to go ultra-compact in my carry for the workday, I go with a Compression lock Li'l Native (its thicker handle dimensions make it more suitable for the cutting I do at work than the DF2).
z1r

Post by z1r »

I appreciate the details of what we use these knives for. Gives a better feel for what might be a good option for anyone looking. Because, while there are multiple knives that can serve a purpose, a particular attribute (like handle thickness) might make difference in selection.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’ve always been partial to the Ladybug, although I guess it could be considered a “micro” vs. a “small knife.” If we’re talking LBKs (Little Big Knives), some of my favorites include (in no particular order):

• Leafstorm
  • Walker
  • Lava
  • Balance
  • Dyad JR
  • Air
  • McBee
  • Lil’ Nilakka
  • Firefly
  • And maybe a Rhino 😉
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Big Surprise.... The Co Pilot. I believe the first of Spyderco's small knives and the first to be called a "little big knife". I find the ergos much better than any of the other small knives even the Dragon Fly.

Sal said he was working on a new model awhile back in a thread I started about Bringing back the co Pilot.

Sal any news?
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

It comes down to the Chap FRN or Dragonfly 2 for me. The Chap would win hands down except for one thing: the detent is a little too soft. I’ve had it come open in pocket more than once. I’ve had it pop open when dropped. That leaves the Dragonfly 2 winning out by a hair.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:07 pm
  • And maybe a Rhino 😉
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

You’re an egg! :cheap-sunglasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm
Hawkbill Dfly
Still the Hawkbill Dragonfly, with the Lil Native a close second.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am really impressed by the design of the Urban. I have the k390 and the n690co. I actually prefer the later. The spring is stronger, the action is stiffer and it really looks good in black. Just wish it was thinner behind the edge (the k390 is great in that regard). I really like how comfortable the grip is for its size. Better than Chaparral to be honest.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:03 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:07 pm
  • And maybe a Rhino 😉
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

You’re an egg! :cheap-sunglasses

Guilty as charged, hahaha! :grin-squint
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Interesting you bring up the LAVA. To me it was one of Chad's (Daywalker) better Spyderco designs. You don't hear much about the LAVA anymore it seems. But back around 2006 to 2008 it was the talk of the town ( Spyderville that is).

I'm really baffled beyond belief that I'm the only one who mentioned the Dodo as being a premier small bladed Spyderco model. I just don't understand why the Dodo doesn't have a high amount of fans. And it's a great "user" too.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:33 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Interesting you bring up the LAVA. To me it was one of Chad's (Daywalker) better Spyderco designs. You don't hear much about the LAVA anymore it seems. But back around 2006 to 2008 it was the talk of the town ( Spyderville that is).

I'm really baffled beyond belief that I'm the only one who mentioned the Dodo as being a premier small bladed Spyderco model. I just don't understand why the Dodo doesn't have a high amount of fans. And it's a great "user" too.
I think the handle size makes most think of Dodo as a medium knife rather than small perhaps