Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Takuan

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Takuan »

Sorry; double-post!
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Takuan wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:11 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:30 pm
How's the Henson treating you? Superbly, I assume. Now, you can try different brands of blades and jump down the rabbit hole with us. The good thing is that blade sampler packs don't cost much at all.
It’s excellent! My wife bought me a massive pack of replacement blades, so it might be a year before I’m in the market for new ones. I’ll have to try some of the brands you recommend above. Thanks!
Walmart has three sampler packs that I can find without looking too hard. None of those are among my favorites, though. Still, they are $10 to $16 for a lot of blades to try and have fun with.

You've got a right smart wife, it seems. Better do something nice for her to keep her around! :grin-sweat
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:31 am
You've got a right smart wife, it seems. Better do something nice for her to keep her around! :grin-sweat
Amen to that! I keep buying her nice knives, so she hasn't left me yet. :smlling-eyes
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I love a good shave and I like to put some mentholated witch hazel on afterwards. My favorite aftershave balm has menthol or mint or something in it. It makes me feel clean. So, with that in mind, I found out that Taylors of Old Bond Street has a Peppermint shave soap. I have got to try this stuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:06 am
I love a good shave and I like to put some mentholated witch hazel on afterwards. My favorite aftershave balm has menthol or mint or something in it. It makes me feel clean. So, with that in mind, I found out that Taylors of Old Bond Street has a Peppermint shave soap. I have got to try this stuff.
You can get a sample from Maggard’s if you don’t want to risk not liking a $16-$20 tub. Course, shipping may render that irrelevant.
Ric

Post by Ric »

@doc dan
>>> Taylors of Old Bond Street has a Peppermint shave soap

Did you try the green proraso already?
The mint really gives a good kick.

Used my TI Henson today. The medium is very good. No need for the aggressive. But if the AL will come out in aggressive I will try it.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:07 am
@doc dan
>>> Taylors of Old Bond Street has a Peppermint shave soap

Did you try the green proraso already?
The mint really gives a good kick.

Used my TI Henson today. The medium is very good. No need for the aggressive. But if the AL will come out in aggressive I will try it.
I've not tried it. I have an order in my cart, but I was waiting for an opportunity to actually go to the shop and check them out in person.

Yes, the Medium is very nice and I see no need for an aggressive either. Today and did shave 4 on a Nacet blade. I had 2 days growth. The razor did its job well, but I could tell that blade has too many miles on it. I swapped it out for a Feather for tomorrow's shave.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay, two days of growth, just to keep it even. The Feather was fantastic. For me, in a Henson, Feather is the best I have tried. Love 'em.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Love them, too.
Still prefer the AL.
The head feels better. Seems I find the angle better, or is it the weight.

I will try the mild the next shaves.
Then TI a few weeks to get more used to it. I will try a feather in it as well. The blade can change the experience as well.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, the blade makes a huge difference. I have had razors I could not stand and then found a blade that changed everything. Feather in Henson works for me very well.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Henson mild AL13 + Feather here. No need to hunt other options, this combo is perfect.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, it is pretty good, for a fact.

I've got some Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill and Agar shaving soaps on the way. I've never tried Stirling, but I hear they are pretty good. The Glacial Lemon Chill is supposed to be coooolllddd! The Agar is an Oud scent.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m nearly through my first batch of 6 samples, just an Ogalalla Bay Run & Sandalwood stick to go. Keepers so far are TOBS Cedarwood and Barrister & Mann Lavendar. Those that won’t pass go are TOBS Tobacco, Mr. Taylor’s, and Lavender. For Father’s Day I’ll be getting another batch of samples. What a great way to try a variety and ensure I don’t waste $20 on a tub I don’t like, I got lucky with TOBS and B&M Sandalwood. Very different but both very pleasing. I need to try some of the more economical soaps/creams too.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am going to work my way through some Stirling samples. They are supposed to have some very slick soaps and they advertize there are none slicker. We will see. I also will worry about B&M when I can smell them in person because those are very, very expensive over here.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:31 am
I am going to work my way through some Stirling samples. They are supposed to have some very slick soaps and they advertize there are none slicker. We will see. I also will worry about B&M when I can smell them in person because those are very, very expensive over here.
That’s why I’m looking at samples. At 50/50 success rate so far, I’m saving money over buying whole tubs. And scents are so personal/individual, taking advice from others unless you know each others’ likes and dislikes very well is fraught with peril.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I love my 1964 Gillette slim adjustable. When I get lazy and let some fuzz build up, I gotta whip out the open comb fatip to mow it back.

Been using polsilvere/iridium super stainless, but not even sure if these went the way of the Gillette swedes or not...

One day, I'll get an all stainless razor
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:32 am
I love my 1964 Gillette slim adjustable. When I get lazy and let some fuzz build up, I gotta whip out the open comb fatip to mow it back.

Been using polsilvere/iridium super stainless, but not even sure if these went the way of the Gillette swedes or not...

One day, I'll get an all stainless razor
I have a Razorock Game Changer in both .68P and .84P. I don't use it much. I vastly prefer my Henson in Aluminum and in Titanium. I am using the GC today simply because I have not used it in so long and though I get a good shave every time, it takes three passes with the .84p to get me where 2 passes of my Ti medium Henson does. Still, the GC is a very nice all stainless razor and loved by many. It is good looking and is not expensive. If you want a stainless razor this is a good place to start and not have to spend a fortune.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One of my favorite hacks is to put a few menthol crystals in my bowl before adding the shaving cream. When I mix up the lather the crystals dissolve and I get a fantastic, cool, clean feeling shave.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Last night, I tried the Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill shaving soap. Wow! is that stuff cold! It is pretty slick, too. I don't know if it is the slickest, but it is slicker than some soaps I have used. The scent remains all day, too.

I used a Razorock Game Changer .84p razor with a Voshkod blade. Today, I am switching to the Henson Ti22 medium with a Feather blade.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Maggard’s has 20% off samples and $5.99 2-day shipping through June 14! I’ve got about $40 worth of soap and AS samples inbound

😎

SAMPLE20

84E31240-1602-4C45-9D24-A554C541955E.jpeg