Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

Today, I shaved for the first time with a Merkur Progress adjustable razor that I won in a contest. I used a Gillette made in Sweden 7AM Plus blade. I set it on 3, which is rather mild, because I have never used one of these. I wanted to be cautious. I got a pretty good shave, once I figured out the steep angle I had to hold the handle. Next time I will up the setting a notch or two. It is too bad this is a Zamax head razor. It's two piece design is easy to slip a blade into and get into action. The bad thing is that there is a tiny triangle on one end of the plate and an even tinier line on the cap. Those have to be on the same side. Well, for those of us with aging eyes, that is not so easy to do! Even with my glasses they were hard to see.

Overall, it was a good experience, but my Hensons are still superior in feel and efficiency and so is my Edwin Jagger DE89.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Had the Futur.
Was not bad at shaving, a bit heavy.
But soo slippery. Cut my finger once heavily therefore it had to go.
Used my Muehle Rocca today. Was a bit rough, I will try a new blade next time.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:35 pm
Had the Futur.
Was not bad at shaving, a bit heavy.
But soo slippery. Cut my finger once heavily therefore it had to go.
Used my Muehle Rocca today. Was a bit rough, I will try a new blade next time.
If you lived nearby I'd let you borrow several of mine to see how they shave for you. I wonder if there is anyone over there who would let you do that, or a shaving shop that would let you go there and try a few out?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:56 pm
Here is a guy who has attempted to actually put razor blades through the same tests knife blades are put through.
I'm running low on blades, so it's time to reorder.

The Russian blades haven't been doing it for me, and ordering them now just seems like the wrong thing to do. Feathers have tripled in price since the last time I bought them. I bought 200 anyway. Then I looked over the chart, and found that the Gillette Nacet's have some pretty good results. I ordered up 100 of them. Clearly, it's going to be a while before I need to order more razor blades.
Ric

Post by Ric »

That’s nice Doc. Thanks.

I am not aware of such a shop.
As it’s a beauty/hygiene product you cannot give back after testing.

Some friends use a brush and soap but non a DE razor...

My local knife store dealers all have a full grown beard.

@rustyiron: How much costed one pack of feathers? 200 will last for 2+ years...
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ric wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:38 am
How much costed one pack of feathers? 200 will last for 2+ years...
The going rate for 200 Feathers is $80, but I found a place that had them for $60. By comparison, the Nacets were $13 for 100. Had I not ordered them already, I would have skipped the Feathers.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:01 pm
Ric wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:38 am
How much costed one pack of feathers? 200 will last for 2+ years...
The going rate for 200 Feathers is $80, but I found a place that had them for $60. By comparison, the Nacets were $13 for 100. Had I not ordered them already, I would have skipped the Feathers.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Feather-Doub ... /129257099

Here's 50 Feather blades for $16.99.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Best price I’ve found so far is:

https://americansalonsupplies.com/colle ... c-45176517

10 for $2.25 = 0.225@

These are the 10-count packs which is a nice self contained amount to take on a trip. There is an apparent minimum order. I got 10 packs.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Good price! I've been experimenting with Shark and 7AM blades in my Hensons. I also used them in the Gillette Slim and Merkur Progress Adjustables. I still prefer the Feather and the Astra is pretty good. The Shark is not bad, but it is harsher than the Feather a bit.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

The price seems good.
I will only buy Muehle or feather again.
All others are not that good.

Price I don’t care. I change the blades 4x per year, maybe less.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Have an old nerkur blade loaded in my rocca.
Change to a new feather - very smooth and efficient experience.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Amazon just delivered the Nacet blades. I haven't used them yet, but I'm unimpressed with the packaging. The twenty individual little boxes are attached to a folded-up sheet of thin cardboard, like you'd expect to see in a convenience store from 1968 where people might buy five razor blades at a time. I've received Astra blades packaged in this manner, as well, and found it to be very inconvenient. If I'm going to have a couple years' supply of razor blades, I want them in a nice box, not some folded-up sheet of cardboard that's going to make a mess in a drawer. The printing on the cardboard is in a language I can't identify. Perhaps this type of marketing is how they do it there. Packaging is cheap, and that's why I can get the product inexpensively. In contrast, Feather blades come in a little plastic box, and the little plastic boxes are in a larger cardboard box that is neat and robust enough to last a couple years in my drawer.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

My several boxes of blades are stacked in an iPhone box in the top drawer in my bathroom. iPhone boxes are great for organizing small things. As are velveeta boxes!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a zip up eye glasses case that I put all of my blades in. I've been given so many, however, there is no more room in it. Except for Feather blades, I won't need to buy blades for ten years! :rofl :rofl

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yesterday, I put a Shark blade in my mild (black) Henson. I was very careful to make sure the angled flat was always in the right place. I got an amazing shave in two passes. I did have a bit more touch up than with the medium, but this time the shave was just as close and it was a bit more gentle. So, that tells me the mild is as capable as the medium, but I just have to pay a bit more attention to the angle, not to keep from getting cut, but to get the closest, longest lasting shave. I will note, however, that the mild is a lot better at touch ups and no worries about over doing it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:24 pm
I will note, however, that the mild is a lot better at touch ups and no worries about over doing it.
This! I can make as many passes as I need to get the results I want, and it seems there is no risk of damage. I’m very pleased, but at the same time I’m looking at the grass over on the medium side of the fence and wondering…
Ric

Post by Ric »

I also used the mild Henson today. 2 passes.
Needed refinement in some areas afterwards.
Overall the medium is more effective.
2 passes and done.
Maybe the angle was not right today. I was also in a hurry a bit.

Would be interesting how the aggressive is doing.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:03 pm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Feather-Doub ... /129257099

Here's 50 Feather blades for $16.99.
I tried placing an order that included the Feather blades and WM is out of stock, so they cancelled the Feather blade part of the order. But, you can still see that they're for sale on the WM website. They said they can't remove them from the website.

My whole order was a waste of time and possibly money. They cancelled the Feather blades which triggered a $6 fee because the total is below their minimum. Then, the one item that has been delivered now turns out to be more expensive than a local brick and mortar store, plus it was signed for by "AA." No one knows who "AA" is or where they are. Stolen order?

Part of the order was for 25 Astra blades. They're supposed to be here Monday. They way I figure it that makes them the worlds most expensive Astra blades. >:[
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Oh man! I'm sorry to read about that. Perhaps you should just cancel the order and get a refund. Walmart needs to update their stock on the website, it seems. I've never had that happen to me at Walmart.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yeah, full refund on the order. No way would I pay them their fee for order under limit when they are the cause. Get your Feathers from the link I posted!