Are YOU paying attention right now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Are YOU paying attention right now?

Post by Evil D »

I'm sitting here sipping my morning coffee (ok slurping it like a dehydrated stray dog) and browsing the forum and I noticed JD's post about the "golden era"...

You guys know that right this minute, we're living in "the good old days" right?

Look at the staggering number of sprints and exclusives we're surrounded with today. Nevermind the issues with in-stocks and the negative stuff, just think about how insane the options are right now. You can buy almost any knife in so many different variations, we have threads dedicated to just keeping track of all of them. We have a brand new steel (MagnaCut) coming out that our grandkids will probably still be raving about when they're grown and using knives.

The powers that be have even recognized the "issue" and have mentioned that they're scaling back exclusive production until the standard production stuff is caught back up. While this is surely a problem on one hand, it's also down right incredible on the other and we may never see this many options all at once ever again.

Maybe I just stopped to smell the roses this morning, maybe there's something in this coffee? I just have a feeling people will be talking about the early 2020's as being an amazing time to be a knife AFI.

☕
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Oloung1

Re: Are YOU paying attention right now?

Post by Oloung1 »

My mind loves this and my wallet hates this. It's insane just walking into this world 1.5 years ago.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Im always shocked how negative the tone of this forum often is. So many good things available. So many interesting steels, too. Couldn't imagine things like K390 and Maxamet being regular production steels 15 years back when I first dove down the rabbit hole. Quality of knives from all over (not just Spyderco) is in general super high. There are a plethora of excellent custom makers out there too. We have excellent steel information available through Knife Steel Nerds, not just speculation and anecdotes passed round and round. Definitely a fun time to be a knife nerd.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It isn’t just Spyderco either. The entire knife world has exploded. It is so much different than it was 5, 10 or even 20 years ago. There are so many companies and so many options now it is hard to keep track of it all. I think sometimes there is negativity about it because we have become spoiled and entitled. We have it too good.

There is a entire new generation of knife knuts. We watched the EDC hobby and community evolve and develop into something pretty big and I think that has fueled a lot of the growth.

I agree that this is probably as good as it’s ever been. As far as me paying attention right now? Man, I pay too much attention to everything. That’s my problem, my brain is like a computer with too many tabs open.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

even though i'm sure my tone comes across as negative often, and sometimes even aimed at spyderco, i really don't mean for it to and i'm a huge fan. otherwise, i wouldn't be hanging around. i agree with everything you said, david. it's definitely a good time to be a spyderco fan (i can't afford to be a full afi).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve said this same thing a few times over the past few years. IMO, overall, the knife industry is better now than it ever has been. And that includes compared to the late ‘90s/early 2K. This IS a Golden Age; it may be hard for many to see the forest for the trees when we are actually in it. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to see a couple Spyderco designs of the past resurrected with current upgrades into the lineup. But overall, this is the best time ever for knife enthusiasts.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

If you see something you like...I recommend buying it.

Options a vast and prices are fair. Just stay away from the secondary market!!! ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Golden Era for me is the day the Golden factory expansion opened and the Second Golden Era will be the day the second Golden Factory expansion opens... All that glitters is Gold-en
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Back when I got into the hobby around the 2010 timeframe, I remember trying to find S30V bladed knives as that was what I considered the pinnacle of blade steels. (To be fair, I didn't yet fully understand geometry's impact on cutting performance vs strictly chemistry.) The run of Superblue was still a few years off. Mastiff was pushing hard for Cruwear, but that hadn't come out yet in a folder. The Seki line had VG-10 and ZDP-189. Golden had CTS-BD1 and S30V, primarily. It seemed to me that Sprints/Exclusives came out a few times a year, not a few times a month.

Fast forward to now, and we get new and exciting steels in more models out of both Seki and Golden. New blade shapes and edge profiles into existing models (Endela Wharncliff SE/PE?!?).

I know there is some consternation that the varieties are often exclusives of existing models in new combos of steel/scales, but that is what sells. And that is probably awesome for folks just getting into the hobby.

The Taichung knives are still incredibly impressive in terms of their machining chops and fit and finish, but I almost think that they are taking a backseat to Seki and Golden in terms of the variety of steels that they work with. That is likely unfair.

I'm sure my recollection of the timing is off, but it sure seems like we get a bunch more new and unexpected stuff now compared to what we got 10-years ago. We do complain (offer suggestions?) for what we want, but I'd say that's because we're engaged consumers and very interested in the success of Spyderco. Comparing what is available coming into the hobby now vs 10-years ago is just amazing in terms of the variety. (The quality, IMO, is equally high.)

The golden age indeed.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Like I said in that post, if there was a Golden Era, we are now in the Platinum Era. I think we are in the best times of Spyderco. They are making the best knives they've ever made and a greater variety of options, Sprints, and Exclusives. Yeah, this is the best time and people will look back on us and call this time the Golden Era.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess I'm completely out of order for my appreciation of Spyderco's great "Old School" accomplishments>> or am I???. Most of those models from those older eras have literally set the stage for what Spyderco has evolved into now at this time.

History has it's place and often works as a viable guideline for proceeding into the future. And Spyderco is no exception. I rest my case for now.

But what the heck we all have our favorite eras now don't we?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:29 am
I guess I'm completely out of order for my appreciation of Spyderco's great "Old School" accomplishments>> or am I???. Most of those models from those older eras have literally set the stage for what Spyderco has evolved into now at this time.

History has it's place and often works as a viable guideline for proceeding into the future. And Spyderco is no exception. I rest my case for now.

JD , I don’t think you are out of order . Spyderco has for quite so time has reintroduced older models and I expect they will in the future . Having said that I also agree with David and I appreciate the progression of products coming from Spyderco. I personally think there is room for older reintroductions, it adds flavor to to line up. I think there are better things to come from Spyderco , new models , collaborations, sprints , and variety of different steels . I say hold on to your hats ! It’s going to be a wild ride . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I guess every cloud has a silver lining? I can see the validity of David’s view and appreciate JD’s nostalgia. I don’t share the love of the classics or serrations but I can understand both viewpoints. I don’t think Spyderco’s “Golden Age” has come yet. I have the feeling it is around the corner. I think that some model with MagnaCut is going to be the perfect Spyderco. (Realistically I suspect there will be another after that though.)
I do feel that sometimes there’s a negative almost demanding tone to requests on the forum that I don’t understand. I deeply appreciate this community and the people who make it possible. Forum members, Kristi, Sal, Eric, Mike Janich and so many more.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving I thank all of you and hope that years from now we can still be discussing favorites from the past, the best blade geometry and our wish lists of new knives.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

there's definitely nothing wrong with nostalgia. they made great knives back then and continue to today. i love seeing the lessons from the last male their way into the evolution of products. i will say though that there seem to have been more ambitious models back then. the dodo is so far out there, for example. some of those models are like artists that don't really catch on until they're dead and gone. i do wish some would get another shot at life. that said, there are more current models that i like than older models. maybe doc is right.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

Even though, as I mentioned, I believe we are in a golden era of knives right now, the irony for me is that my knife purchases have lessened considerably compared to the past, almost to a trickle. As knives have improved overall, I’ve become much pickier about my purchases. I bought a total of two knives this year, both Spydercos; a UKPK Salt and a G10 DLC Para 3 in S45VN. In some other recent years I’ve bought even less, or nothing at all.

Whether we are actually in THE HEIGHT of a golden era now or not, I’m going to enjoy the ride. How often do I get to say (and believe it) that we are in the best era right now when it comes to much of anything?

Jim
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:08 am
Im always shocked how negative the tone of this forum often is. So many good things available. So many interesting steels, too. Couldn't imagine things like K390 and Maxamet being regular production steels 15 years back when I first dove down the rabbit hole. Quality of knives from all over (not just Spyderco) is in general super high. There are a plethora of excellent custom makers out there too. We have excellent steel information available through Knife Steel Nerds, not just speculation and anecdotes passed round and round. Definitely a fun time to be a knife nerd.

Same boat. I got my first spyderco when I was around 20 years old, so 2008ish, and whichever Centofante was in production at the time. Wasn't a whole lot for me to choose from, as I recall, at least from casual layman shopping (pretty sure I bought it through amazon). I didn't end up continuing my knife curiosity, in favor of other hobbies and the fact that someone walked off with my cento, and so came the gigantic hole in my time between spyderco #1 and 2. It wasn't until Covid that I thought, wow, that Spydiechef sure is neat, and so it began again.

With that backstory applied, and being that I'm still a huge newbie relative to you guys, this absolutely seems like the Golden Era to me. But that's also because I haven't been brow-beaten as much as you guys. I don't know just how long you've sifted through the mud and blood of exclusives, but I do know that even if I keep seeing variations and sprints I may find boring, it may be perfect for someone else. I'll just move on and buy the next one, or post my opinions about combos I may actually buy.

That being said, when I see a negative tone in some of these posts, I just try to tell myself that these are big fans just like myself, who, given the opportunity, are doing exactly what they should be doing for Sal and co. - letting them know what's up, even if it's in a begrudging manner. So to me it's less of a negative thing and more of a.... "I love you so much, and I'm finding it hard to spend money on you right now"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:29 am

Not saying that at all. You have to appreciate how "back in the day" means different things for different generations, and great timeframes like the one you love so much come around now and then, and I'm just saying we're currently in an incredible time for knives and oftentimes it's easy to overlook how great it is until way in the future, aka "don't know what you've got til it's gone". Ask yourself, did you really know how great you had it in the late '90s, or has that only become more apparent to you as time passes?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

Ultimately, one can't define 'the' golden era, until the era is done and you can look back at the entire history. Hopefully, not in our lifetime.

I am enjoying where we are today. Spyderco is making some fine knives.
Peter
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:23 am
…You have to appreciate how "back in the day" means different things for different generations, and great timeframes like the one you love so much come around now and then, and I'm just saying we're currently in an incredible time for knives and oftentimes it's easy to overlook how great it is until way in the future, aka "don't know what you've got til it's gone". Ask yourself, did you really know how great you had it in the late '90s, or has that only become more apparent to you as time passes?

This is how I see it.

To make an analogy, back in the ‘70s, I had no idea that I would end up considering that decade’s musical era to be the golden age of popular music (in my own opinion). There was no way I COULD have known. I’m talking overall, even though some crap music was also produced in the ‘70s. As with anything, you don’t know how great an era is while you’re in it; we only tend to truly appreciate it when it’s long gone.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think Golden Ages can only be discerned in retrospect.

Being awash in something, as now, is not a meaningful indicator to me. We don’t get abundance without past breakthroughs.

Sal and Gail broke through a long time ago and now we have some pretty fine things.

How we are continuing to get them in spite of pandemics and supply chains may prove golden.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”