Looking for advice on "undoing" SAK alox engraving

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jlw

Looking for advice on "undoing" SAK alox engraving

Post by jlw »

Hi,

Subject sums it up. I bought a used Cadet Alox with a name engraved in engraving area. I didn't think it would bother me, and it doesn't bother me enough that I don't use it, but I've decided to try to remove it if it's not too much trouble. The only thing I could think of trying was sanding the area down with a Dremel until the engraving doesn't show. But I'm not sure if this is a good idea and I don't know the best way to protect the rest of the knife from Dremel-damage even if the idea is reasonable.

Is there someone smarter than me, or at least more engraving-removing-savvy, that could suggest something?

Thanks,
James
yablanowitz

Re: Looking for advice on "undoing" SAK alox engraving

Post by yablanowitz »

That's the only way I know. I'd cover the whole scale with a strip of duct tape, then carefully cut out the area covering the engraving. I don't know that I'd use a Dremel unless it was variable speed and I could dial it back for control.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If I was in your position and since it's aluminium, I would create a "sanding jig".
You would need something hard of just a little under the same width of the engraving, and go through the length of it back and forth for a while to level it up to the point that you just have a flat plane.

Standard sandpaper would work, a dremel too but the rotation of the tool would be too uncertain for such a small job and soft material IMHO.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
jlw

Post by jlw »

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I ended up taping it off, leaving the engraving area exposed, and using a Dremel. It turned out far from perfect, but the objective of obliterating the engraved name without damaging the scale was achieved. Happy New Year!

James
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well that would work too, and pretty fast!
Happy new year as well !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds