Bladehq Sage 5 in M4 and mint green scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Bladehq Sage 5 in M4 and mint green scales

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:35 pm

Matus, so you'll try to get one though you live in Germany?
Does Bladehq send to Europe in this crazy times?
I am in your neighbor country, might try to snag one too - really like the Sage design from all I can see and it's the perfect knife for featuring a comp. lock for my taste.
Yep. I got S90V Para 3 LW from them back in June and it was no issue. Even shipping was still rather acceptable at $37. So I hope to repeat the experience.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:21 pm

Stunning photo of a stunning collection!

:star-struck
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sage5 Lightweight CPM-M4 Satin Blade Mint FRN C123PGRM4 BladeHQ (Taiwan) will be in stock on Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 10:00am MT for $154.00.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

One day I'll buy an exclusive!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Gotta hand it to them, I LOVE that ad

I prefer the Chaparral size to the Sage 5, but I love that color and M4 is a fun steel
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I hope the actual color is like the promo ad mint

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Did I imagine it or did the sage lw only cost $90 a little while ago? Now 122. 154 for the sprint. I know prices go up every year, but I had some sticker shock with this one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

While the mint green color may be an optical illusion, the price sure isn’t! :nauseated

Buckle up your seat belts in anticipation of 2022 prices!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
fixall

Post by fixall »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:56 pm
Did I imagine it or did the sage lw only cost $90 a little while ago? Now 122. 154 for the sprint. I know prices go up every year, but I had some sticker shock with this one.
I’m fairly certain the Sage LW was released at $122. I have no problem paying $30 to upgrade to M4. I pay $200 - $250 plus materials every time I have a basic reblade done, so this is a bargain. :grin-squint
Matus

Post by Matus »

On top of everything let's just not forget that we are driving a hyper inflation train since a while ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I am in your neighbor country, might try to snag one too - really like the Sage design from all I can see and it's the perfect knife for featuring a comp. lock for my taste.
Yep. I got S90V Para 3 LW from them back in June and it was no issue. Even shipping was still rather acceptable at $37. So I hope to repeat the experience.
Thanks!

So with tariffs/taxes the M4 Sage will cost about $ 245 (€ 215) for us here in Austria in my estimation (shipping already included).

Quite a bit of money.

Perhaps a "regular" S30V Sage 5 would be the better (less costly) choice (I happen to really like S30V) -?

Will have to muse about this a little more..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

For some reason the taxes last time were less than I have expected (I am not 100% sure but I think the Para 3 back in June made it through without any or very little), but indeed - one needs to calculate them in.

I am eyeing this one as a present for my wife (and so that I can take back the ownership of my PM2).
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:05 am
Matus wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks!

So with tariffs/taxes the M4 Sage will cost about $ 245 (€ 215) for us here in Austria in my estimation (shipping already included).

Quite a bit of money.

Perhaps a "regular" S30V Sage 5 would be the better (less costly) choice (I happen to really like S30V) -?

That is what is stopping me. I stick to production runs I like, and maybe a sprint or two when they get sent to west european dealers.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Matus wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thanks!

Quite a bit of money.

That is what is stopping me. I stick to production runs I like, and maybe a sprint or two when they get sent to west european dealers.

I normally do that too.
The S30V Sage LW can be had for "just" about 160 € (converted about $ 180) shipping included - so for the difference to the price of the M4 one here I could for example add a Tenacious LW SE to the S30V Sage.... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Matus wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:12 am
For some reason the taxes last time were less than I have expected (I am not 100% sure but I think the Para 3 back in June made it through without any or very little), but indeed - one needs to calculate them in.

I am eyeing this one as a present for my wife (and so that I can take back the ownership of my PM2).
Take back ownership? Good luck with that.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:49 am
Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Matus wrote:

I normally do that too.
The S30V Sage LW can be had for "just" about 160 € (converted about $ 180) shipping included - so for the difference to the price of the M4 one here I could for example add a Tenacious LW SE to the S30V Sage.... :smirk
That's about what I paid, it was 150€ because there was no shipping cost tho. It's not M4 and it's not green but I think I can survive ^^.
If it was a Native 5 LW, it might be harder... :grin-squint

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Dang now you guys have me second guessing whether or not I really "need" this one. I've been waiting for an exclusive to buy a Sage 5 LW but now the color and the price have me thinking twice. I'm actually liking knives with black handles again and I certainly don't mind S30V. So maybe I pick up the off the shelf model instead? I guess I'll wait and see how I feel about it tomorrow 🙂

EDIT: then again....I would really like a Sage with M4 steel. Hmmm....
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GautamGoel

Post by GautamGoel »

Honest question: why buy this knife? You can buy the S30v version for $122. This knife is $30 more. My understanding, looking at Larrin's steel charts, is that M4 is only slightly better than S30v in edge retention, with much lower corrosion resistance. So what's the big deal about M4?
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

GautamGoel wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:49 pm
Honest question: why buy this knife? You can buy the S30v version for $122. This knife is $30 more. My understanding, looking at Larrin's steel charts, is that M4 is only slightly better than S30v in edge retention, with much lower corrosion resistance. So what's the big deal about M4?
If I am not wrong, S30V has the better edge retention over M4. But not by much.
But M4 is way tougher. Triple to double in comparison with S30V.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

M4 sharpens better for me and is tougher than S30V so it should take a thinner edge over S30V. I'm not in the market for this, so it is immaterial for me, but those would be my justifications reasons for buying this over S30V. Someone with much more M4 experience will come along and explain it better than I can.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001