Is the UKPK FRN discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
magicdad

Is the UKPK FRN discontinued?

Post by magicdad »

Hello. I just joined the Spyderco forum. I own the Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, and recently picked up a UKPK with FRN handles and leaf shaped blade. I absolutely love this knife. I'm reading that it has been discontinued! Is that true - are they no longer produced?

Thanks.
SpydieChef, Smock, Sliverax, Para 2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW, Sage 5, Chaparral, Harpy, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, UK Penknife, Tenacious, Roadie, Byrd Cara Cara 2, and 100+ less significant (non-Spyderco) knives.
sal

Re: Is the UKPK FRN discontinued?

Post by sal »

Hi MagicDad,

Welcome to our forum.

The UKPK is still in production and is more popular than you'd think a slip-joint would be in the current world of locking folders. There's a leaf blade and drop point blade. There's a Salt version. An S110V version and more variations planned.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hmmmm "and more variations planned." I swear Sal you're trying to single handedly postpone my retirement. I love all the Spydie slippies.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea Sal, I agree! I know you see me enjoying many of your great, hard working knives that you and Eric have designed...but the UKPK is something different, a very nice different. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's more popular than many may believe. I'm excited to see what's down the pipeline!

If they top the HH UKPK, call me thoroughly impressed!! (Feel free to throw some hints) ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

You know it dawned on me that the UKPK would serve as a great platform for a folding mule.....
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The UKPK serrated Salt really opened my eyes. I know that leaf is probably much more popular, but I hope the S110V PE version will also come in a drop point configuration as well as the current leaf in S110V.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have an S110V UKPK in my pocket now. Like this knife quite a lot, even though I can carry a locking knife. Sometimes, it is just so convenient.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just so happen to have the HH G10 UKPK in my pocket today

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
magicdad

Post by magicdad »

Mr. Glesser,

I have to tell you how impressive it is that you personally welcome people to this forum. It's not often that the head honcho opens his own mail. Especially when they're game changing icons in the business. I'm a Baby Boomer who only recently became interested in pocket knives as a COVID-era hobby/diversion, then fell right down that rabbit hole. Sound familiar? Lol. Wish I would have been more aware of pocket knives back in the '80s, but better late than never.

I already owned a few of your knives before learning more about the history of your company, which is the classic American success story. I have a collection of old school knives that represent sort of a history of these tools. Handling a Spyderco feels as if I'm utilizing a piece of modern history; a tool that will always be associated with the man (and company) that revolutionized the industry. Congratulations on all of your well-deserved success and accolades. And kudos for adding what is sorely missing from too many companies these days: the personal touch, and the impression that you actually care about your customers.

Karma Update: Not five minutes after I made my first post here, I received a package containing a knife that I hadn't ordered. It was from a well-heeled buddy of mine, who I purposely infected with my pocket knife fever. These days, not even he knows how many Spydercos are in his collection. Trust me, Sal, this dude has probably financed your grandchildren's college education. Anyway, he wanted me to have the same flipper that he considers to be his favorite, as a way of thanking me for his new hobby. It was the Spyderco SpydieChef. Good friend. Great knife.
SpydieChef, Smock, Sliverax, Para 2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW, Sage 5, Chaparral, Harpy, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, UK Penknife, Tenacious, Roadie, Byrd Cara Cara 2, and 100+ less significant (non-Spyderco) knives.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:31 pm
Hi MagicDad,

Welcome to our forum.

The UKPK is still in production and is more popular than you'd think a slip-joint would be in the current world of locking folders. There's a leaf blade and drop point blade. There's a Salt version. An S110V version and more variations planned.

sal
This is great news! I'm a huge fan of the Slipits. I don't have any legal restrictions that make them necessary, but the truth is they just meet my needs better than a locking folder 95% of the time. They're extremely lightweight, fast to deploy and close, and cover almost every cutting requirement I ever have.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MagicDad,

Thanx much for the kind words, interest and support.

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

This world would be a much nicer place if there were more business owners like Sal and more customers like MagicDad.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

UKPK, my favorite knife for light weight shorts.
Justin
magicdad

Post by magicdad »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 pm
Hmmmm "and more variations planned." I swear Sal you're trying to single handedly postpone my retirement. I love all the Spydie slippies.
Bemo, if you have the Urban how does it compare to the UKPK? Apart from the smaller size, is there a noticeable difference in it's operation, or does it simply feel and work like a more compact UKPK?

Thx.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:33 pm
You know it dawned on me that the UKPK would serve as a great platform for a folding mule.....
That’s actually brilliant. Fewer people would be excluded from owning the hot new steel, due to legal restrictions, than say a PM2 or Delica. A fairly inexpensive platform and Golden manufacturing too?! Sounds like a winner!
Nate

Post by Nate »

The UKPK is the unexpected hero of my collection. I currently own and have gifted away more of them than any other model.

Recent pic, but have since added the serrated Salt as well:

Can’t wait to see what Spyderco has up their sleeve for us!!
:spyder:
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I actually hope they don't do this. I mean seriously, color coordinated FRN scale (tooling already payed for) in the hottest new steels (MagnaCut) in a leaf PE and SE, plus a Wharnie option or drop point. Well heck I'd have to buy one of each. I'll just send my paycheck straight to Colorado.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Speaking of new variations, can we get more than FRN handles leafshaped blades?
I know will not make titanium handles due to being expensive, but can we get G10 handles other than the red HH.

A drop point G10 would be nice, like this one below, I think it looks great.
S30V would be fine. Any other more exotic steel would be welcomed.

https://youtu.be/rP-NkQsx4Uk
tom57

Post by tom57 »

Hello,

@Sal are you able to elaborate on the other variations you have planned? I'm looking to own one of these again and don't want to limit my choices!

Cheers!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, there was a Salt version since he posted that a year ago. There is a Heinie Haynes version in red. There's two.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050