Unintended usage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pickmansmodel82

Unintended usage?

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

“A knife is a tool with a thousand uses” A wise man once said. While knife makers design with a general philosophy in mind, sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.

Case in point- I was gifted a blacked out yojumbo. Generally this is thought of as a self defense oriented knife, but in random playing around I’ve found it’s a very capable kitchen knife.

The design, blade angle vs handle and grind/point make processing various foods a breeze, and the dlc makes it glide through various foods, plant or animal.
Has anyone else found a novel or unexpected use for their Spydercos?
standy99

Re: Unintended usage?

Post by standy99 »

More of a intended use

I use my Salt1 to open bags of salt for the pool..

Always find it funny every time I use it, and have been doing it for years…. :tonque-out
Last edited by standy99 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I don’t do this often, but I recently found the posterior serration of my old Endura to be an alright cigar/wire cutter(?). I didn’t actually use it for those specifically, I think it was just some bamboo twigs.
I needed to cut them in a specific way for some reason and using the knife like a cigar cutter worked best.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I actually use all of my Spydies at least occasionally for perhaps most tasks a knife can be used for (except self defense in the sense that I'd plan to use a knife in such a situation or would be trained for it)

Food prep included (occasionally)
I think food prep which means cutting material of various density, softness... gives a good impression of how a knife performs.
And especially my Enduras and Stretches perform quite well in that regard.

Unitended/unusual? Not really I guess.
I sometlmes remove ticks from the skin with the knife tip.
Or stirr a cup of coffee in the öutdoors with the blade.
Or open a beer with the spine.
Or scratch my back with the edge when it itches after a sunburn.
Or quickly trim a toenail should it turn out to be too long for tight climbing shoes..
... and VERY, VERY rarely I no spin throw an Endura or Endela on some rather soft targets, just for fun. ;)

The above are the most unusual uses for a knife as it gets with me though.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Last week when carrying my Native Chief I found myself bending over and stabbing into loose pieces of cardboard that made their way into our pedestrian walkway. I guess this beat bending over that extra 9 inches or so to grab those pieces with my hand from the floor!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

This is gonna gross out many of you & is probably very unsafe, but I have used my Yojimbo to shave down the callouses on my feet (life-long runner here). And no, I don't use the same knife for food prep LOL
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have definitely used my Police4 to help me get a roll of paper towels off the back of a high shelf.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I guess a knife is not intended to shave, or to make a haircut. My bad.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I bought my wife a glow in the dark Delica. I saw no usefulness in GITD scales, but thought she would like it. Went backpacking two weeks ago with her in west Texas and she charged up her knife with her headlamp and stuck it in the pocket above our heads as we went to sleep. Made a really great night light as it was dark outside and pitch black in our tent. I was surprised it held a charge for so long. Must have been at least a few hours.

Now I'm patiently waiting for GITD PM2 LW. :D
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

zuludelta wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:22 pm
This is gonna gross out many of you & is probably very unsafe, but I have used my Yojimbo to shave down the callouses on my feet (life-long runner here). And no, I don't use the same knife for food prep LOL
You could just wipe the blade with rubbing alcohol when you're done and it should be fine.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've used a Roadie to sculpt numerous pumpkins! Not the way you're thinking though, what I did was a totally unconventional way of using the knife. For a majority of the work I use the spine of the blade, above the double dent, to scrape the surface of the pumpkin. The spine is sharp but not too sharp and it removes the perfect amount of surface layer to ensure you don't remove too much material.
-Nick :bug-red
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I have used my g10 Manix handle to open bottles and lift can tabs.
Just one more knife...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:42 am
“A knife is a tool with a thousand uses” A wise man once said. While knife makers design with a general philosophy in mind, sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.

Case in point- I was gifted a blacked out yojumbo. Generally this is thought of as a self defense oriented knife, but in random playing around I’ve found it’s a very capable kitchen knife.

The design, blade angle vs handle and grind/point make processing various foods a breeze, and the dlc makes it glide through various foods, plant or animal.
Has anyone else found a novel or unexpected use for their Spydercos?
It also works well for breaking down cardboard :cheap-sunglasses

:unicorn
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:42 am
I know it's not what you intended when you started this thread but... a Michael Janich kitchen cutlery line inspired by his Yojimbo would be awesome! :drooling
•• Beau
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I've used my knives to pull mail from the back of the mailbox to where I can reach. But this is only when I grab it while still in my truck.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I've used a pocket clip in lieu of a paper clip to hold a bunch of papers together while working. More often though I may use one as a paperweight to keep my papers from getting blown away.