Which of my knives would you carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which knife would you carry from this selection?

DLC Military
16%
TiCN Pacific Salt 2
19%
DLC Yojumbo
5%
K390 / Pakkawood Police 4
19%
Manix XL M4 DLC / Micarta scales
13%
M4 DLC Native Chief
28%

Total votes: 85

vivi

Which of my knives would you carry?

Post by vivi »

These are my favorite versions of my six favorite folding Spyderco models at the moment.

Military:

Pacific Salt 2:

Yojumbo:

Police:

Manix XL:

Native Chief:

As you may know, I like larger folders and a high level of corrosion resistance, hence 5 out of 6 are coated blades.

For a long time, the Police, Military and Manix (XL/C95) trio battled it out for my favorite folder.

The Military spent the most time as my go to.

Over time I came to prefer the lockback and thinner stock of the Police, and when the Police 4 managed to match the Millies weight it settled that debate for me.

But the Manix XL / C95 Manix has always made me question choosing either of those as my #1, as the ergonomics are a dream and its STOUT.

Over the years I've grown to appreciate the lightweight & rustproof Pacific Salt enough to put it on the "top shelf," along with the newest additions to my Spyderco Mt. Rushmore, the Chief and Yojumbo. All three display a high level combination of ergonomics, cutting ability, and pocketability.

Faced with these six options when you wake up tomorrow, which do you reach for, and WHY?

These days I typically carry the Pacific Salt when I'm working, and the Yojumbo when I'm not. But any time I pick up one of the other four folders, I think to myself, "Why don't I carry this knife more often?"
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Re: Which of my knives would you carry?

Post by Cl1ff »

It’s hard to say when I haven’t carried anything larger than my old Endura, but if it’s specifically what I’d be likely to carry tomorrow then my choice is the Pacific Salt.

It’s light weight being the biggest deciding factor as well as it’s similarity to what I already know quite well. Especially since I’d just be around the house tomorrow, comfort is important and I’d like to be able to forget it’s in my pocket.
My choice would definitely be subject to change depending on the day and what I may be doing.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

pac salt is a hard knife to replace for me. i love everything about it and it's the first knife i'd reach for if i needed a folder for tough cutting. my se pac salt is almost always iwb.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Which of YOUR knives would I carry?

I suppose I would have to carry ALL of them. If I left one behind, I suspect you'd stick me with it as I walked out the door.

The Police intrigues me, but the pakkawood? Not as much. I already have a couple of the M2XL M4's, so that doesn't count.

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pac Salt. Mine is MIA at the moment. :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

Voted Pacific Salt.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great rotation , the only one I don’t carry or have is the Native Chief . I hope to correct that absence in the near future . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am assuming you mean which one I´d carry if I knew and had each of the six knives (because otherwise I´d take for that day a model I am new to of course in order to try it out).

Immediately clear that it would be the Chief or the Pac Salt, but not easy to decide between those two.

Like you and as you know I prefer larger folders, for me they are just better and more versatile than smaller ones (especially, but not only, concerning cutting edge), while having no real disadvantage - except one, and that is when they get too long or too heavy in pocket (and that point comes sooner for me than for you).
Unlike you high corrosion resistance is not a concern of mine

The Endura 4, Stretch 1 and Tenacious LW in S35VN are my goldilock EDC folders concerning size:
- Endura with a decent amount of cutting edge (88mm), though more would not hurt, but close to being a bit long in carry.
- Tenacious with similar edge length, but less actual blade/reach and being a bit heavier
- Stretch 1 very compact in carry, and for the size (and having a choil) a lot of edge (81mm, for comparison: Manix 2 LW 73mm), but absolutely speaking still a bit short in cutting edge.
None of these come in the combo ffg/ full SE/ regular blade shape and a not too hard steel like VG10 or S30V, which I would prefer (that combo).

So:
- Your Pac Salt is practically speaking a lighter Endura, and if yours was the ffg and SE version: No doubt I´d take that one.
But sabre hollow (and especially the not existing tapering of the blade) and PE make me hesitate
- The Chief (never had one, to be clear!) is just a tad longer than the Endura, but unfortunately a deeper carry as far as I can see, which should make it "longer in pocket", but still ok; it is also a bit "heavier" (111g, I prefer under 100g), but offers a bit more cutting edge than the Endura (91mm vs 88 mm);
Now the upcoming (presumably lighter and having better ergos) FRN Chief, and that in SE would clearly win over an H1 PE Pac Salt for me.

But I think out of the particular models and versions you show in the end I´d go with the Pac Salt, and would actually have nothing to complain about!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Voted Chief, but I would rotate the Millie and the Chief.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Matus

Post by Matus »

None of these would really fit EDC for me, but for carry around the house as a working knife I would be most intrigued by the Police I think.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

First of all, that's a nice bunch to chose from. You've set your self up for some though decisions

Unlike you I prefer my folders to be smaller, my preference has evolved to the point that I've come to like even the larger folders, but their use case(s) are still few and far apart.

I'm curious to try out several, if not all the knives of your Mt. Rushmore, but in so far I only own two of them; Pac salt and Native Chief. Or, well, I now have the new FFG Pac salt, but I used to own the H-1 pac salt some years ago so I know how it carries.

The Native Chief carries pretty well. I took it grouse hunting for a week in the mountains and it never bothered me in any way. Mind you there were no social or legal aspects to consider up in the mountains, and besides hunting pants are also more forgiving than slim fitting office jeans, so I could just stash it in my back pocket and forget about it.
In a more urban / everyday setting, I would probably have to go with the Pac Salt carried IWB. Both from a comfort perspective as well as moisture / maintenance POV, it seems to be the the better option, so that's what I voted. The Pac salt, while not the most interesting of the bunch, is the more versatile knife (IMO) that would work in almost any setting I'm likely to carry a knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be between the Military and Chief for me, I'd need to spend more time with the Chief to be sure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Also voted Chief but I'd want to rotate in the Millie as well. Both are excellent, far as large folders go.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I only have the Native Chief, as I prefer my knives in the Endela to Native 5 size range. I might be interested in trying a Military in the future just because it is one of the company's iconic designs.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I picked the top selection i.e. DLC Military. Simply because I EDCed an M390 Military for well over 4 years and it was a great EDC folder. I would do it again at some point depending on which blade steel they would select for newer, upcoming C-36 Military models.

The DLC coating is OK I guess. I've owned a few of Spyderco's black bladed models over the years. I could still kick myself for trading a black bladed TEMPERANCE 1 model that I had. As long as I can legally carry a longer blade like the C-36 Military I will take advantage of that.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Honestly, even tho I'm guessing the Police 4 has a better geometry for slicing, I would pick up the Native Chief.
I own many knives with almost as many different locks or variants of a same lock. The Native lock is IMHO the best backlock ever made. Just for this, the Native Chief would be my choice.

I have yet to own the P4 and Chief (it'll happen sooner than later), but from what I've seen and heard from both Sal and Eric Glesser, the years of developpement for this lock alone are worth try ! And trying it is often adopting it lol.

Then, there's the ergos and blade of the Native 5 just prolongated to make the Chief, it's exactly what fits my hand.

The blade shape is one of my favorite, answering almost every cutting tasks I would ever be asking from a knife. The blade length of the Chief is also ideal. As for the steel, I do not own any M4 yet but honestly I would take this knife in any steel, tool steel or stainless.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

That's a tough question. I like the military and police 4 a lot. Lately though I've been carrying a DLC military and haven't really needed or wanted anything else for the past 2 moths or so. I don't have a yojumbo as it released at a bad time financially for me. Haven't carried the native chief a lot lately and my c95 Manx and xl manix rarely see pocket time. I keep my pacific salt around for dirty jobs or beater task. Usually just sits in my car waiting.

Voted military since that's what I've been using the most but the P4 is a close second.
Last edited by VashHash on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I voted Military.
I've owned or still own all except the Yojumbo.
The Military fits my hand better than the others, and so that is why I went with it. The Native Chief is a close second, and in reality I would rotate both.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Chief, with Millie in a distant second place.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Since I already have that Chief, this was an easy one for me...The K390 Pakkawood Police. K390 has been an enjoyable experience on my Endela, I miss my Delica with Pakkawood scales, I've never handled a Police...checks all the boxes as the one I'd like to try out!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick