Poll... Crucarta ...Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Crucarta... Is it the Micarta, the Steel or the combination of both?

I'm more interested in the canvas Micarta scales!
33%
I'm more interested in the CPM Cruwear/Z-wear steel!
19%
Just the perfect combination!
42%
Other!
7%

Total votes: 107

Buddafucco

Poll... Crucarta ...Poll

Post by Buddafucco »

Just curious... For those that have, had or are interested in the Crucarta or Z-Carta knives... Is it the canvas Micarta scales or the CPM Cruwear/ Z-wear steel that have people excited? Or is that just the perfect combination of both?
:thinking
Personally, it's the Micarta for me. It's soft, warm, provides good traction and it's not a pocket shredder. The patina is pretty attractive also.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Cruwear and Z-wear, but if the Crucarta's were done in a different steel I would have still made the purchases. I can't say the same if the Micarta was changed.
I added another option just in case somebody has a different reason.
•• Beau
troutinCO

Re: Poll... Crucarta ...Poll

Post by troutinCO »

The Mircarta to be honest, steel is a super bonus.
I want it offered on all models and all the steels it can be!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I am very much interested in this specific combo, I think it just works so well together and I like it so much on my Shaman that I'm immediately interested in other models in the same combo.

After that my second highest interest is definitely in more micarta like this, especially if it's a model that can be rounded and contoured like the Shaman.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I like micarta, but I'm more interested in the steel/s. CruWear is great, Z-wear is great...give me more!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm more into the scales for sure! That Cruwear Shaman is a dream in hand. I'd prefer a steel with better edge retention though, but keep it a tool steel.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I had the previous issue of PM2 in Cruwear but decided I had a lot of other PM2s that I was using so I sold that one. I like tool steels and frequently use PM2s in M4 and K390 so I think they suit my use better. I think Cruwear is a good fit for the PM2 shape.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Def the micarta for me. I love the old school micarta Spydies (I know the material is quite different) and I'd love to see more micarta options from Spyderco.
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

I think both CPM Cruwear and and Micarta have been somewhat underutilized by Spyderco, but they don’t necessarily need to go together. They could have just made regular production runs, rather than playing games with crucarta sprints. There is really no other reason to associate Cruwear and Micarta.

Cruwear may get boxed out by Magnacut, but I think Micarta could be used to replace G-10 and carbon fiber on knives with steel liners, especially models that have cheaper LW versions.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Definitely the micarta for me.

After collecting traditionals for a while, I grew tired of dealing with high carbon steels. I can’t stand the smell on the blades when cutting fruit. I hate the worry of corrosion. For that reason I almost passed on this one. I know there’s a big corrosion resistance difference between 1095 and cruwear, so I decided to give it a try and see how it goes. But I would much prefer 20CV / M390…
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To be clear: I never used Cruwear, so my "opinion" on this steel is just based on its specs and what I have read.

That said: Exclusively interested in the Micarta.
Cruwear seems to be certainly not a "bad" steel, more than just ok, but yet nothing special for what I want in a folder.
Rex(45)carta would excite me more. Good, old S30V would be more than fine too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I already have several knives with Cruwear. So for me it's more the scales. I do think it's a great combination too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

The steel is of little interest, have lots of variation in that area. For sure the interest for me is the Micarta scales
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Micarta is more of the thing for this one.

Think the liners on the crucarta PM2 are a stand out looks wise also.

Found the Pakkawood Delica from Knifecenter to be one of the best looking knives with pakkawood and liners Also the GB1 with liners. (I love a heavy knife)

Put in a preorder when they dropped a year ago almost and have been down a fixed blade path lately but am glad this will be the first folder in a year or so.

Edit: Though I did snatch up a lightweight M4 parra 3 just because I am a M4 fanboy
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Micarta is the main draw obviously, but the steel choice takes it to the hype-beast levels we have seen. Cru-wear and its analogs are my favorite steels, so this one hits on all levels. I'd still love to see Micarta folders in other steels too like K390, 3V, 4V, AEB-L, 52100, and MagnaCut. To me, Micarta comes from the fixed blade world, and thus pairs well with the steels from that world such as the ones I mentioned. Heck, 01 or A2 would be a good steel in a Micarta Endela or Endura in my opinion.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crox

Post by Crox »

I marked both but have mixed feelings.

I don’t have a huge collection and I’m trying to get variations. For the crucarta pm2, it is my first pm2. I love micarta so I would say that was the main feature for me. Additionally, I don’t have any folders with tool steel and I really wanted to try cruwear. So, it checked 3 boxes for me.

If I really think about it, I actually think it is kind of a bad combination. A tool steel blade that needs some amount oiling next to scales that can look mucked up if they get oil on them….. maybe it is just a good excuse to fondle the knife more and keep it looking good :winking-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just tossing it out there, I'd happily trade Cruwear for MagnaCut in this combo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
z1r

Post by z1r »

troutinCO wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:44 pm
The Mircarta to be honest, steel is a super bonus.
I want it offered on all models and all the steels it can be!
For me, it was the steel. I just got a LW Para 3 in Rex45 and saw the M4 Para 3 but missed out on it. I really wanted to compare the two but no luck. Then I read Dr Larrins latest steel comparions and saw that Cruwear might be better than both. Just then it was announced that the PM2 "Crucrata" was available. Well, since I like the PM2 better than the Para 3 so I decided this would be a better knife to grab. I'm not typically a G10 or Micarta fan being more a LW fan. But, I saw this one in person and loved the color so made it my mission to get one. Should be here next week.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:45 am
Just tossing it out there, I'd happily trade Cruwear for MagnaCut in this combo.
A LW in Magnacut, and it might earn a spot in my EDC rotation.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

It’s like a great sandwich really. Bread is perfect and the meat is also awesome so it’s a win win.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Interested in the CruWear. Actually not a huge fan of the micarta on this one, normal G10 looks better to me. If a G10/MagnaCut version shows up by the time the next batch of CruCarta makes it to the wild, I'll be straight to the MagnaCut bandwagon. Right now CruWear is about as close as you can get to MagnaCut. Both are very good steels, but I do in the end prefer MagnaCut.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035