How do you clean out bidirectional textured FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

How do you clean out bidirectional textured FRN

Post by Netherend »

I bought an FRN Native Salt and regularly use it for all kinds of tasks such as box cutting, wire cutting, fruit cutting and cutting grape vines. I noticed that the bidirectional texturing easily catches dirt or can stain . What is the best method for cleaning the handle out? High pressure water? Soap and water? Soaking?
68D4832E-7CC4-4407-B395-13CF9C2B676E.jpeg
68D4832E-7CC4-4407-B395-13CF9C2B676E.jpeg (6.93 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
Just one more knife...
Albertaboyscott

Re: How do you clean out bidirectional textured FRN

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I use soap and water w an old tooth brush. Something like comet, since it's abrasive, might work well too if it's stubborn
kobold

Post by kobold »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 pm
I use soap and water w an old tooth brush. Something like comet, since it's abrasive, might work well too if it's stubborn

Same.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

You can always put it in the dishwasher (top rack).
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Ok that worked brilliantly. Thank you!
F06B66BE-B42E-4FFF-9576-C983ED809DAF.jpeg
Attachments
6D21CF94-641C-45E3-A78F-1FBE3A643F80.jpeg
Just one more knife...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Yes, old toothbrushes are great for so many cleaning tasks in home and workshop.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I use dish soap, hot water, and a stiff brush. Works great, especially on the Salt knives.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jacala

Post by jacala »

I use my wife's toothbrush (when she's not home) and toothpaste.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:15 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:

Same.
Thirds.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Netherend wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:54 pm
I bought an FRN Native Salt and regularly use it for all kinds of tasks such as box cutting, wire cutting, fruit cutting and cutting grape vines. I noticed that the bidirectional texturing easily catches dirt or can stain . What is the best method for cleaning the handle out? High pressure water? Soap and water? Soaking? 68D4832E-7CC4-4407-B395-13CF9C2B676E.jpeg
Many great tips here and I would like to as well mention that Spyderco byte newsletter, that you can as well find on homepage https://www.spyderco.com/resources/byte-e-newsletter/ , contains sometimes great tips in different topics. May release was particularly interesting as there is small but quite detailed guide on how to clean up our :bug-red-white knives (direct link bellow).

https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-byte-may-2021

Enjoy the read ;)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

jacala wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 pm
I use my wife's toothbrush (when she's not home) and toothpaste.
:') that is just savage reply :rofl let`s hope she does not use your toothbrush for cleaning the sink or worse :grin-sweat
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Nice knife :) Same hear, soap water and toothbrush.
I have a problem with burrs on some models tho, cleaning it is making them worse...
Happens only on my s110v, so I guess I just was unlucky on these scales.
Haven't tried to sand them down or cut them off, by fear of messing up the finish :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use dish soap and a nail brush.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Netherend wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:20 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Ok that worked brilliantly. Thank you! F06B66BE-B42E-4FFF-9576-C983ED809DAF.jpeg
Right on. Looks brand new
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:34 am
Haven't tried to sand them down or cut them off, by fear of messing up the finish :

Lightly wet sanding them with 800-1200 grit wet/dry autobody sandpaper would be my first try. Disassemble it and just round off the inner edge of the scales. I have a few Native LW's and have never had to do this, but it seems like it would give desirable results.

If you cut it, you're going to have to sand it anyway or it will look like crap...smoothly blending with sandpaper should be easy.
So it goes.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Nylon brush on a variable speed dremel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't often ever find it necessary to clean FRN handles very often. But again I really love that newer DAWN dish soap that is called Dawn 4X. If you soak it over night in Dawn 4X and use a soft bristle toothbrush I'm willing to bet you can clean about any grime you would encounter.

With one exception>> I got some tar on an FRN handle once and I had to use Mineral Spirits ( paint thinner) to remove it safely. Then I washed off the excess thinner with Dawn 4X and it looked like brand new.

I clean G-10 handles with Ballistol and I've used Ballistol on FRN handles on a couple of occasions with good success as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:13 am
I use dish soap and a nail brush.
The next time you have to clean anything with dish soap use Dawn 4X. The difference between it and other dish soaps is astounding.

I keep all old toothbrushes and find them great for cleaning all kinds of knife handles. Also there is a USA company known as LIBMAN who makes a lot of kitchen cleaning brushes. And they have an excellent selection of great quality cleaning tools.
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Ramonade wrote:
Nice knife :) Same hear, soap water and toothbrush.
I have a problem with burrs on some models tho, cleaning it is making them worse...
Happens only on my s110v, so I guess I just was unlucky on these scales.

I use a small round file to get all the edges that are sharp. Just file real lightly, still looks good afterwards.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:38 pm
Ramonade wrote:

Lightly wet sanding them with 800-1200 grit wet/dry autobody sandpaper would be my first try. Disassemble it and just round off the inner edge of the scales. I have a few Native LW's and have never had to do this, but it seems like it would give desirable results.

If you cut it, you're going to have to sand it anyway or it will look like crap...smoothly blending with sandpaper should be easy.
Mini2white wrote: Nylon brush on a variable speed dremel.
W7H2O wrote: I use a small round file to get all the edges that are sharp. Just file real lightly, still looks good afterwards.
Thanks for the options. That's what I guessed would happen if I try to cleanly cut the FRN @Airlsee. I need to see if I have nylon brushes for my Dremel. I might try the file to hit what's really protruding from the scales, otherwise wet sanding will be my first actual try.

I'll keep people posted if I mess up hard :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds