Sharpening the unsharpen

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Sharpening the unsharpen

Post by Ramonade »

Hello Spydeople,

I've been "bothered" by the unsharpen part of the blade on some models and finally decided to do something about it. I've used my diamond bonded resin whetsones (from venev) to sharpen that part, trying to raise the new secondary bevel to the level of the existing one. These stones have sharp angles wich is really nice for such a job. I've used scotch tape to protect the ricasso a bit, changing it pretty often.

I could've matched it exactly but it was hard to maintain the stone/knife leveled while being so close to the actual edge. If I had gone further I might have induce "wiggle" or something :thinking .

Sorry in advance if their is another topic on this subject. I've seen at least one person on the forum doing it, but couldn't find a topic or message using the "search" feature of the forum.

Whaddayouthink about this first try on my Native 5 LW s110v?
Did you do such a job yourself? How good looking/functionnal is the result?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
z1r

Re: Sharpening the unsharpen

Post by z1r »

You did a much better job than I did when I tried this on my ZDP DF2. It took me a while to "Fix" my "improvement".

In hindsight, not sure it was worth the effort, but then again, I carry that knife everyday, so maybe it was.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Looks pretty good to me!

The unsharpened part used to bother me too. I've used Venev bonded diamonds on my Hapstone V7 similar to how you did. I don't really worry about it much anymore. If I have the time I'll fix it. Otherwise it's no big deal to me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Good job.

When I first got an Edge Pro many years ago I used to reprofile everything and would always take edges back to the ricasso.

Now if it bothers me enough, I add a sharpening choil with a small round diamond file.
So it goes.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks for the answers, I really took my time for this, but I guess if i do it again i'll be more efficient.
Btw, the s110v on this N5 LW feels pretty chippy, I managed to create micro-chips while sharpening it ! Didn't happen the 2 first times I sharpened it, I thought I was really paying attention to put even less pressure than previous times on the knife...

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:02 pm
Good job.

When I first got an Edge Pro many years ago I used to reprofile everything and would always take edges back to the ricasso.

Now if it bothers me enough, I add a sharpening choil with a small round diamond file.
Thanks, I thought about trying to make a choil instead of this. I might do it in the future tho. I already can see that it is not that easy to sharpen this part of the blade ^^. However, a small sharpening choil isn't the kind of thing you manage to the material you wanna cut blocked in it ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I sharpen that little un-sharpened portion away, the first time I sharpen.

One of the members here posted a photo of how he deals with that un-sharpened spot. He puts a small sharpening choil there, but he makes it like a single serration, so it is very sharp, so if anything got caught in it - it gets quickly cut.
I thought that was pretty cool, but have not done it to any of my knives as of yet.

u.w.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:38 pm
I sharpen that little un-sharpened portion away, the first time I sharpen.

One of the members here posted a photo of how he deals with that un-sharpened spot. He puts a small sharpening choil there, but he makes it like a single serration, so it is very sharp, so if anything got caught in it - it gets quickly cut.
I thought that was pretty cool, but have not done it to any of my knives as of yet.

u.w.
tThanks for this info u.w. . It would answer that problem pretty epicly, I'll look into it.

Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Nice job. Looks good. It's never been a concern to me but us knife nutz are a particular bunch!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Airlsee wrote:
Good job.

If it bothered me more, I would do this.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
z1r

Post by z1r »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:27 am
Airlsee wrote:
Good job.

If it bothered me more, I would do this.
Will employ this approach next time as well. I considered a choil, but decided to sharpen instead. On a blade as small as the DF2, that little unsharpened spot really prevents you from getting a razor edge on a goodly portion of the blade.

I do remember seeing that post some time back about the poster adding a single serration. I will have to give it a try next time around.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm really interested in that sharpening choil / single serration. I'll try to find this post and maybe test it on another model.

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

So it goes.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Nice choil on that Kapara ^^. I have knives with choils, it doesn't snag often, it's mostly when the choil is a bit too big.

Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I always do this…here it is on my latest acquisition:
131BF3AE-C70B-4E98-A5C2-DC121DAA5E55.jpeg
I’m sure there are some people who aren’t into it and I’m sure it does something to the value of the knife but it makes sharpening easier for me. I tend to just use my tools and modify them to my liking. If I’m too worried about things like resale or warranty work, I won’t get the most out of something. This is for me, personally…and in no way do I mean to imply that anyone else should operate thusly.

I use a 300 grit diamond plate until I feel that resistance “meet” the rest of the edge. My best results have come from finding the PRECISE angle of the secondary bevel first then referring back to that every once in a while to make sure it’s going to blend properly. That is, if you’re a freehand guy. It might be a little different for guided systems.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I see that you do not bring the edge totally to the ricasso. Thats pretty clever considering it is a pain to sharpen the part really close to it.
I do not even know if a guided system would hit that close to the ricasso lol.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me this is as much an aesthetic thing as it is functional, because on many knives this can potentially create a snag point and for me that's a no go. I want my edge as far back as it can possibly go.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David