Custom sharpmaker base

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieFlicker

Custom sharpmaker base

Post by SpydieFlicker »

I recently read some SE performance and sharpening threads, and I was wondering if there are any custom sharpmaker bases to sharpen a SE Pac Salt 2. I don't want to buy a whole sharpmaker setup, as I already have a nice (enough) sharpener, so I was planning on only buying a white rod, and finding a custom base. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, but I don't have a 3-D printer, so I can't print my own. Thanks everyone, especially Evil D and Vivi, for persuading me to get a SE knife.
Sharp Guy

Re: Custom sharpmaker base

Post by Sharp Guy »

Disregard
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You'll eventually need more than just white rods. You may also find that the Sharpmaker is a great sharpener in general, I also have an Edge Pro that I very rarely use, in fact the only time I've used it in the last 4 years was to reprofile someone else's knife. For routine touch ups and especially for serrations you can't beat a Sharpmaker.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

If I could only have one grit on the sharpmaker, it would be the diamond (or CBN). It's my most used grit, including for serrations.
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

I've got custom 3D-printed base from a local Russian craftsman. Stones fit tight, angles are accurate, and the cost was about $20.

Here's an example (the one I own is red, there was different color options):
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Leksy wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 am
I've got custom 3D-printed base from a local Russian craftsman. Stones fit tight, angles are accurate, and the cost was about $20.

Here's an example (the one I own is red, there was different color options):
Looks nice. I'd be interested in something like that but with lower angles. Nowadays I just use the 30 degrees on the sharpmaker.
SpydieFlicker

Post by SpydieFlicker »

Hey all, Thanks so much for the suggestions. Since I don't need to buy 2 rods, the only single packs I can find are brown rods, and fine white rods. Which would be better for frequent touchups? I will eventually buy the diamond/ CBN stones when I need them.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Been there, done that! 🙂

SpydieFlicker

Post by SpydieFlicker »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:24 am
Been there, done that! 🙂

Those are really cool models, SG! It is so cool how you can print them in do many different colors too.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SpydieFlicker wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:32 pm
I recently read some SE performance and sharpening threads, and I was wondering if there are any custom sharpmaker bases to sharpen a SE Pac Salt 2. I don't want to buy a whole sharpmaker setup, as I already have a nice (enough) sharpener, so I was planning on only buying a white rod, and finding a custom base. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, but I don't have a 3-D printer, so I can't print my own. Thanks everyone, especially Evil D and Vivi, for persuading me to get a SE knife.
This may be a dumb question, but why not just buy a sharpmaker? Sal designed a great product, why not pay him for one?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:03 pm
SpydieFlicker wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:32 pm
This may be a dumb question, but why not just buy a sharpmaker? Sal designed a great product, why not pay him for one?
I agree! Everyone should have a Sharpmaker. I have two. Only reason I did the CAD project was because Matt (ZrowsN1s) was looking for one with different angles. So I accepted the challenge an made a CAD model that I can easily change angles of the slots and make whatever I want
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love the custom bases Sharp Guy made for me.

Despite the best of intentions I'm sure, sometimes factory edges aren't close to 15 or 20 dps. When that happens it takes hours to properly reprofile an edge on the sharpmaker. Even with the CBN rods. Even worse if you're sharpening a curved blade and have to use the corners.

It's nice to have some alternative sharpmaker angles in the arsenal. They really should make a multi angle base. Wasnt Spyderco working an adjustable base?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:29 pm
It's nice to have some alternative sharpmaker angles in the arsenal. They really should make a multi angle base. Wasnt Spyderco working an adjustable base?
I agree. I'd love to see this, even just in 5° increments.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:29 pm
Wasnt Spyderco working an adjustable base?
I'm pretty sure Sal mentioned they were working on one in your thread
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Here's a link to a thread for DIY sharpening devises. Mine can be dialed in to whatever angle you want and be used with almost any sharpening stone. Super easy to make.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88722