Thought it was bent, but was the grind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dusty Cliff

Thought it was bent, but was the grind

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Hey all,

When I first seen the blade on my police I thought it was bent, but on closer inspection it would appear to be an uneven grind. I have never had this before on my spyderco knives. Dose anyone have anything like this? Would appear that most of the grind is on the one side and the other is for the most part strate.

No I don't want to return it. It works fine and cuts like a Lazer. It in no way interferes with this intended purpose.

Regards,
Dusty
Attachments
20210913_173146.jpg
20210913_173422.jpg
Airlsee

Re: Thought it was bent, but was the grind

Post by Airlsee »

I have a GB1 that has two totally different swedge grinds, which makes the blade appear off center, but no FFG's.

Yours isn't the only time I've seen the primary bevels or distal taper asymmetrical, but may be one of the most severe examples I've seen, if that's what the picture is indeed depicting.
Last edited by Airlsee on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I have a Centofante 3 that I thought was bent but it turned out just to be the grind. Only time I've seen that in person
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

That looks like warping during heat treatment.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I have a Wegner Jr. where the hollow grind is way off on one side. No effect on function, so I used a coarse diamond hone to take some metal off the "fat" side, towards the tip, allowing the spine to appear straight, when viewed from above
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Deleted
Last edited by Dusty Cliff on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:07 pm
That looks like warping during heat treatment.
Maybe. It's hard to get a good photo to show more. It's only a millimeter or two of, but the long blade shows towards the end. On the one side it's dead flat against a ruler, however on the last 3/4 of an inch of distal taper on the other side it...

Thanks,
Dusty
Attachments
20210913_202952.jpg
20210913_202856.jpg
20210913_173328.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't know. I think I'd send that back to wherever I bought it and get a replacement....but that's me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

This is a factory second Maxamet PM 2. It’s not bent, the right side is pretty much straight instead of having a taper towards the blade center line. All of the taper is on the left side. The tip just misses the handle and it doesn’t affect the use at all.
Attachments
92FE89D6-7054-4E31-BCFF-87DF83990391.jpeg
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Pokey wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:12 pm
This is a factory second Maxamet PM 2. It’s not bent, the right side is pretty much straight instead of having a taper towards the blade center line. All of the taper is on the left side. The tip just misses the handle and it doesn’t affect the use at all.
Hey Pokey,

Thanks for your photo. That looks almost 100% the same as mine in k390. It was not a factory second, but an interesting grind. It's a good cuter and a tool so I'm not sending it anyplace. You can't see it, but if I slide my fingers down the blade I can feel high and low spots on the grind. Maybe it was a Friday afternoon job. Lol

Was your knife a second due to the grind or something else?

Thanks again,

Dusty
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

It's a rare chisel grind for precise food prep. :)
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Dusty Cliff wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:24 am
Pokey wrote:
Hey Pokey,

Thanks for your photo. That looks almost 100% the same as mine in k390. It was not a factory second, but an interesting grind. It's a good cuter and a tool so I'm not sending it anyplace. You can't see it, but if I slide my fingers down the blade I can feel high and low spots on the grind. Maybe it was a Friday afternoon job. Lol

Thanks again,

Dusty
Dusty,

I think mine is a second due to what I've read from heat treating issues on Maxamet.

I've read here on the forum that Spyderco had/has a heck of a time with the heat treat on the blades. There are a high number of blades that don't pass their QA inspections and aren't sold on first quality knives. I just did a quick search on the web and it looks like only one other company sold Maxamet bladed knives; and they quit after only making 250 of them. It looks like Spyderco is the only maker that's hanging in there and working with Maxamet now.

On mine it isn't really the grind; all the dimensions are identical on both sides, and the surface finish is the same. I believe it's from the heat treatment. It appears that the blade just laid down flat on whatever surface they're treated on. I think they're ground/machined/lased to to proper shape first, they get heat treated, then the final grind is done on the edge. (Disclaimer: There's a good chance I don't know how Spyderco makes their blades, and I'm full of baloney! I have seen some videos on YouTube, though.) ;)
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Pokey wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:56 am
Dusty Cliff wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:24 am
Pokey wrote:
Hey Pokey,

Thanks again,

Dusty
Dusty,

I think mine is a second due to what I've read from heat treating issues on Maxamet.

I've read here on the forum that Spyderco had/has a heck of a time with the heat treat on the blades. There are a high number of blades that don't pass their QA inspections and aren't sold on first quality knives. I just did a quick search on the web and it looks like only one other company sold Maxamet bladed knives; and they quit after only making 250 of them. It looks like Spyderco is the only maker that's hanging in there and working with Maxamet now.

On mine it isn't really the grind; all the dimensions are identical on both sides, and the surface finish is the same. I believe it's from the heat treatment. It appears that the blade just laid down flat on whatever surface they're treated on. I think they're ground/machined/lased to to proper shape first, they get heat treated, then the final grind is done on the edge. (Disclaimer: There's a good chance I don't know how Spyderco makes their blades, and I'm full of baloney! I have seen some videos on YouTube, though.) ;)
Thanks Pokey,

I'm always amazed how much I learn from this forum as what you have explained makes sence. One side is dead flat and the taper is all seen on the other side, yet the shape looks good. Maybe it is the sagging during heat treatment. I also read on another forum post that the Japanese like this asymmetrical shape. I don't know if that is true. Would explaine a lot.

http://japaneseknifesharpening.blogspot ... l.html?m=1

I wonder if this is seen more with tool steel as my stainless blades are perfect.

Thanks,

Dusty
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I got a PM2 Maxamet from the seconds sale that looked like that. Surprised yours didn't get picked up by QC.
Attachments
20210920_180404.jpg
20210920_180326.jpg
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:14 pm
I got a PM2 Maxamet from the seconds sale that looked like that. Surprised yours didn't get picked up by QC.
Hey Josh,

Thanks for sharing.

I got mine online from the other side of Canada. By the time I noticed it, I had already forced a patina and sharpened it. So it can't go back. I did contact spyderco and they said to send it in. I thought about it, but shipping there and back and the risk with customs for a blade that is still 100% functional seems pointless. It looks okay.

And having learned so much from the forum about it makes me feel about even. Live and learn I think. And if I don't tell anyone, I'm the only one who knows.

Thanks,
Dusty
remnar

Post by remnar »

Here's a photo of a worker that I received with an uneven grind. I sent it in to Spyderco and they did take care of me but it probably would have been a lot easier to just send it back to Knifeworks and get a replacement.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Dusty Cliff wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Hey Josh,

Thanks for sharing.

I got mine online from the other side of Canada. By the time I noticed it, I had already forced a patina and sharpened it. So it can't go back. I did contact spyderco and they said to send it in. I thought about it, but shipping there and back and the risk with customs for a blade that is still 100% functional seems pointless. It looks okay.

And having learned so much from the forum about it makes me feel about even. Live and learn I think. And if I don't tell anyone, I'm the only one who knows.

Thanks,
Dusty
If it works for you then I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen Maxamet blades worse than mine that weren't seconds, so I was more than happy when it showed up in that condition.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I have a 20cv Para 3 LW with a similar issue, although not as pronounced.
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 pm
Thanks for the information. I thought it was a seki city thing and with steel, not stainless.
All of my golden USA knives are 100%. My para 3 s110v is an amazing knife.

Thanks again,

Dusty
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Dusty Cliff wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:43 pm
metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 pm
Thanks for the information. I thought it was a seki city thing and with steel, not stainless.
All of my golden USA knives are 100%. My para 3 s110v is an amazing knife.

Thanks again,

Dusty
What I'm *guessing* is that this is more frequent in knives with more expensive steels, because the window of acceptable warping to QC might be wider due to the larger impact to the bottom line on rejected blades. My Para 3 is still an amazing knife, it just has a slightly asymmetric blade. It still cuts and handles just like a para 3 with a perfect blade.